Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: I stubbed my elbow with a vacuum cleaner.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: I acknowledge your point about the birds still being able to interbreed, but this doesn't mean my example is "flawed". The natural selection is definitely altering the genome of the birds. I'm not an expert on genetics, but if slight alterations like this were continuously made to the genome over millions of years due to environmental changes (and despite what that book says, we have had much more than 5,000 years to evolve), I find it easy to envision the genetic differences being too great to allow the birth of fertile offspring. This is compounded by the fact that a species can branch into several evolutionary paths, so that these new strains would become species distinct from each other more quickly.

The case of the birds on the Galapagos Islands is well documented and proven. Bear in mind also that the definition of "species" is not merely that members of the same species must be able to produce offspring, but that they must be able to produce fertile offspring.

About the homo sapiens and neanderthal thing, I haven't heard of any project to compare the DNA of homo sapiens with that of past members of the genus, but it's probably been done already, and I agree that it would be another good way to prove the existance of evolution. Then again, most scientists don't need the existance of evolution pointed out to them yet again.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 18, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if slight alterations like this were continuously made to the genome over millions of years due to environmental changes, I find it easy to envision the genetic differences being too great to allow the birth of fertile offspring.

Just one problem: we're not talking about alterations in the genome. A different breed of, say, dog doesn't have any really different genes from any other breed. It's simply a different combination of existing traits.

The only way new genetic material can be created (in nature, at least) is through random mutation. If a random mutation took place that made, say, me incapable of reproducing with the rest of humankind, then, yes, I would constitute a new species. The only problem is that, for me to reproduce, and pass along this new gene, there'd have to be another person with the EXACT SAME RANDOM MUTATION, and the chances of that are infinitesimal. Even if a new species was created through mutation, it'd die out within one generation.

Thus the theory of evolution can be shredded in two paragraphs. It just doesn't work. It's as simple as that.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"If a random mutation took place that made, say, me incapable of reproducing with the rest of humankind,"

We would all be most appreciative (just kidding)

>"The only problem is that, for me to reproduce, and pass along this new gene, there'd have to be another person with the EXACT SAME RANDOM MUTATION, and the chances of that are infinitesimal. Even if a new species was created through mutation, it'd die out within one generation."

*sigh*
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Mutation does not occur through individuals, it occurs through GROUPS. Everybody with a smattering of understanding on the subject knows that. Get that through your cranium. Species changes do NOT occur with ONE mutation, or within ONE generation.

ONE mutation occurs. WITHIN A POPULATION of beings.
The mutant's changed condition enables it to better survive, and pass along its trait to its offspring. The small change thereby slowly passes through the surviving population. (What you have NOW is a minor subspecies) THEN, another small change occurs. and another, and another. Eventually, you pass up the scale to subspecies (or race, if you're talking h. sapiens). Still capable of interbreeding, BUT also physically different and adapted to different conditions.

Finally, after GENERATIONS, enough changes have occured that, while the small community can interbreed with each other, they are now too genetically disparate to mate with outside communities which, while still genetically similar, have likewise been mutating in their own directions.

THAT is how species differentiate.

SOMETIMES, species that are still very close on the evolutionary tree (like wild animals and their domestic counterparts) can still interbreed (but often this requires outside intervention, such as those with mules and tigons and ligers. Or, species which have only recently undergone differentiation (like the different species/subspecies of a certain bird that ring the arctic circle,) can sometimes interbreed (but not at the ends of the chain) but this shows the midrange of the cycle, it does not disprove it.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 18, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We would all be most appreciative (just kidding)"

As far as the "just kidding" goes, speak for yourself... :-)

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, First, you're suggesting that a group of mutations, taken together, would prevent a specimine from reproducing with other specimines, whereas any single one of those mutations wouldn't? I'd love to know how that would function. It doesn't make any genetic sense. There will be a single mutation that is the dividing line between reproducing with the rest of the species, and not. That mutation can not be passed on, unless you like playing with genetic engineering. Thus, no new species can be created naturally.

Another thing that doesn't make any sense about your model is that you could quite easily end up with a situation where group A can reproduce with group B, and group B can reproduce with group C, but group A can NOT reproduce with group C. That just doesn't work. Let's put it in code:

if (a == b && b == c && a != c)
{
printf ("Evolution works!\n");
}

else
{
printf ("Evolution sucks!\n");
}

Care to guess what this program generates?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's disparaging to see that they have rocks big enough now that people can live under them.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the pleasure of pleasing a poet.

NOTE: It's NOT www.woh-gives-teh-fuck!!!!1!!!.com.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read that article in the link I posted. Omega fits the analysis quite well. You know, pigeonholing the dynamics of life and all that.

------------------
"And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye."
-Chaucer, Canterbury Tales

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...trying to discuss religion with a fundamentalist is somewhat like trying to discuss color theory with people who can only see black and white. When you try to point out, however diplomatically, that their vision is limited by their inability to see red, green, blue or yellow, they will insist that it is your view that is the limited one, because you can't see that a black and white worldview is more accurate in some ultimate way.

ROFLMAO

You're right, actually -- I'm reading this article going, "yep, that sounds like Omega ..."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else noticed that Omega speaks of genetics as if he's won a Nobel Prize in the field and knows everything there is to know about it, but then he assumes that the transitive property of equality is somehow related to procreation?

Say, Omega... If Yahweh wants A to mate with B and B to mate with C, but not A with C, can't he do that?

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Member # 239

He, uh, didn't?

So he ISN'T an authority on Genetics? Well, that beats my canned beans.

------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks UM!

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" That just doesn't work. Let's put it in code:"

I don't HAVE to put it in code. It HAPPENS in NATURE. Nature trumps code, sorry.

I will, for your edification (you quite obviously need it), post the species names and the source just as soon as possible. Possibly tonight, when I have my hands on the book, possibly tomorrow. All I can tell you now is that it's a genus of birds the specied of which ring the arctic circle. And it's been PROVEN.

The same thing PROBABLY happens among the penguins of the south pole.

You are WRONG.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Member # 91

Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!

Doesn't this seem a bit like what you say I do with creation?

Before you even post your "proof," let me ask: has it been proven that these species/sub-species CAN NOT reproduce? 'Cause otherwise, you got nothing.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!

I can't believe you're talking about yourself like this.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps