Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » death penalty? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: death penalty?
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am aware that this could become a big argument, but this IS the flameboard, so I'm gonna go ahead.

-Any place that still has it is uncivilized and does not belong in this modern world.

Ready.... Set.... GO!!!!

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*THWACK!!!'s infinity over the head with a chicken!*

Do you have any IDEA what you may have just opened up?!??

I've already said I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. I think it's skewed, so that often minorities seem to be unfairly targeted by it.

Also, I think it shouldn't be used in any cases where there is the SLIGHTEST doubt as to a person's innocence: for instance, if the convicting evidence was entirely circumstantial. Or if the person is permanently mentally incompetent (Down's Syndrome, for example.)

On the other hand, if they found the guy still stabbing the victim, I don't see how the question would matter. Fry 'im.

Show me another method of punishment that guarantees that that person never commits such a crime again, and perhaps I'll change my opinion.

"Capital Punishment: making the world safer, one scumbag at a time."

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited April 26, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's skewed, so that often minorities seem to be unfairly targeted by it.

Funny, I'd just assume that minorities commited more crimes worthy of the death penalty, and work from there. The vast majority of murders are commited by black people, you know. Relative to their segment of the population, of course.

*Thwacks infinity with a rather large herring*

For reasons Rob stated.

You do realize, of course, that JeffK will come here as soon as he gets to the forums next, and turn this into an Omega-bashfest. He has a bad habit of doing that.

To save him the trouble, his opening post will go something like, "The Bible says 'Thou shalt not kill'! You're a hypocrite!" In fact, that will be the content of ALL his posts, regardless of what, or if, I reply. I have thus saved him the trouble of participating in this thread at all. Perhaps he will now find something more productive to do with his time.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Gman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the bible also says eye for an eye. My feelings on capital punishment are that it could be a good thing. Unfortunately it isn't used enough and the appeals process is so long that this punishment isn't much of a deterent any more. But that is because we don't want to kill an innocent man.

I have to agree with first of two. If the guy was caught in the act fry'em. There are way to many serial killers locked up in prison. They have been convicted several times of murder, they should be killed.

------------------
Aaahhh Worf, eat any good books lately - Q from Q less

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am slightly disturbed by the "fry him" comments. Mainly because they suggest a slightly cavalier attitude towards it. Rob says he wouldn't like it done if their was the slightest chance of innocence. Fair enough.

You are concerned about killing an innocent man. I'm just concerned about killing anyone. I don't think I have that right. Nor does anyone else.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I'd just assume that minorities commited more crimes worthy of the death penalty, and work from there. The vast majority of murders are commited by black people, you know. Relative to their segment of the population, of course.

Hate to say this, Omega, but since you said it.....

That was a very racist, prejudicial, and stereotypical remark. Vast Majority? VAST MAJORITY? We'd oughta beat the crap outta ya for saying that. But of course, I have a measure of restraint. Even if one ethnic group committed one more crime than a second does not give you the right to say that the first commits more crimes or kills more people, etc. Wonder how you would feel if everyone said what you just did, except it was about WHITES.

Back on topic. My opinion? Like First said. There are people around here that I believe that should be fried beyond recognition. And there are people who have been wrongly convicted due to circumstance. Imagine frying them only to find out 10 seconds later that he was actually innocent all the way.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 26, 2001).]

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well . . . over in the UK our prisons are bursting with bad guys (and gals). We got rid of the death penalty and I think that is the problem. People know that they can get away with murder - they just get thrown into prison for 25 years and get 3 meals a day and a nice soft bed. Plus a TV, a gym, etc. They have it made! Plus they can get out for good behaviour!! :Faint:: They can do it all again in about 15 year! Take the James Bulger case - his teenage killers could be released soon! The law needs to get tougher - Judge Dread would kill a murderer without a second's hesitation! Yes I know it's fictional, but at least they dealt with it quickly and justly - no messing about: "Oh, so sorry but we don't have enough evidence" What! He killed the guy, stabbing him 50 time! Not enough evidence!? OR "The defendant is to be released as he/she has promised never to do it again, do community service for a year (gets off doing only 3 weeks) and has agreed to pay a fine (a very small one)". OR "The defendant is a famous film star/singer and it would their career to be found guilty". Tell me I'm wrong but that's how it appears to be going. Need I remind everone of the OJ case? Mmm? That was a shambles.

If there is any doubt in the conviction for murder - don't kill 'em. But if there is absolutely no doubt - shoot 'em, fry 'em, pump 'em with poison - whatever - one less nasty person in the world and it will act as an insentive not to kill. Plus the criminals are not punished enough - suspended sentences, small fines, short-term bans from driving, etc. It just takes the piss! If I were to do one little thing wrong (which I won't) I'd get the book thown at me - but some serial criminal would get a 3 months suspended sentence - Jeez! Where's the fairness in that?

Then there is the problem of teenage births - UK got rid of the law preventing abortions - teenage pregnacy rate went through the roof! Now the government is moaning - stupid sods. If they weren't so bloody soft in the first place, we wouldn't have a lot of the problems that we have today! High number of pregnant teenagers, overcrowed prisons, high unemployment . . . Jeez! I could go on but I'd probably have a heart attack and at 21, that ain't good!

(I shall now take a rest from my 'slagging off the UK government' and 'the law in general' to let someone else vent some steam! )

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, i'm for the death penalty. There are some evil scumbags in the prisons (such as the ones who murdered Matt Shepard) who should be executed will all due haste.

I also think rapists and child molesters should be castrated, either physically or chemically.

And yes, I am absolutly serious.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear Here. I absof**kinglutely agree. The Matt Shepard Killers. Bernardo. Those guys who dragged a black man to his death. And more whom I'd like to have well done.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 26, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good. A bunch of people talking about who they would like to see die. What a progressive attitude.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my stance is the same as Fo2 and Gman. Liam we know that you do not care for this form of punishment but it is an extremely effective deterent. If a better way of dealing with the situations presents itself I bet you would find that most of us would agree with it and put capital punishment out to pasture. Until then

Regular or Extra Crispy

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob: You want an affective alternative to capital punishment? How about death of personality?

Mind you we won't be totally sure it works without telepaths...

------------------
"Of course I'm paranoid! Everyone's trying to kill me."
- Weyoun, "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb: It's Dredd, but, er, yeah.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QW:

I also think rapists and child molesters should be castrated, either physically or chemically.

Does that include the two gay guys that raped and killed that ten year old in CA a while back? Just curious.

Fab:

You want an affective alternative to capital punishment? How about death of personality?

Like a frontal lobotomy, you mean?

Tahna:

Wonder how you would feel if everyone said what you just did, except it was about WHITES.

I'd point out that they were wrong, because the statistic would be incorrect in that case. I wouldn't particularly take offense that they'd said it about white people, because I DON'T CARE about skin color. I made no statement about black people in general, nor did I make any statement about a specific black person that was not based upon personal knowledge (or anything else, for that matter). I simply stated a statistic. A true one. You're being just a BIT touchy, Tahna.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, you people realize that when we invoke the death penalty these days, it's not so much for justice as for retribution, right? There is a MAJOR difference between the two of those. I don't think that revenge is a solution to any problem.

Of course, you should also realize the reason we use the death penalty for retribution instead of justice is because for many people that commit crimes worthy of capital punishment, the death penalty ISN'T A DETERRENT. They would go and kill or rape or whatever regardless of the consequences.

And also, because one person did something horrible, taking another person's life, what right does that give US to take their lives? Does that make us any better than them, saying "HA HA! You're going to be DEAD! We revel in you death knowing that the world is a happier place without you!" And don't tell me that isn't the underlying thing you think when someone is going to be executed. You aren't thinking, "Poor person." You're thinking, "REVENGE IS OURS!!" To think that about someone does not make us look very good.

I do not support the death penalty simply for the reason that I know people can change. It happens folks. Even those who feel no remorse for those they've killed may one day change. What right to we have to take away that opportunity? If they become better people, become a BENEFIT to society, can we really kill them off?

Do we have the right, even as a people, to play god with other people's lives? To decide their fate? Do we have the right to do that?

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps