Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » death penalty? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: death penalty?
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Who supports a law he or she doesn't believe in? I don't see why fighting the death penalty makes you a hypocritic conservative, though supporting it does make a hypocritic Christian. Which is worse?
Or, as a third alternative, you can support neither side.

Where do you draw the line? At DEATH, obviously. That's a pretty thick line.

Oh, and some forms of lying have already been legislated. Perjury, for one. You can tell when a religious rule is not limited to your religion, can't you?

------------------
"There comes a time when the mind takes on a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there. All great discoveries have involved such a leap."
--Albert Einstein, on intuition.

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited April 30, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's it for my synapses. I think premarital sex ban, I think "can't people stop judging what other people should do?". Then I think nazis, and "can't you let us believe what WE want???". I feel dirty, I don't want to be human anymore. I want to go with the coccoon people and dance with jewish aliens!

(Guest): *raises finger* -Aha! antisemitism!
(Host) : -That's not antisemitism, that's not even a real nose! *yank*

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>". But why would you want to see a person die if you don't truly hate him? Can you say hypocrisy?"

Can you say practicality?

One does not have to hate to kill.
Truly, hate clouds the intellect, and makes killing more difficult.

I'm capable of hate. But usually I don't want to kill the people I hate. Usually I want to torture them just enough so that they ALMOST die, let them heal, rinse, repeat. That's much more satisfying that straight killing.

I don't have to hate someone to kill them. All that is required is that I see them as a significant threat. It's a matter of balance... is the world a significantly safer place for innocents if this individual ceases to exist? If it is, then the solution becomes obvious. There's no point in wasting energy feeling about it.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, if all that's required is to see someone as a threat, why do you need to kill someone who is locked up in prison?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Practicality again. If it were adjudicated and carried out in a practical manner, (as per my previous statements on when the death penalty should be used)the expense would be far less.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited May 01, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering who of flare's alleged 500+ members is a serial killer...

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me.

Wait, I meant not me!

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: "But, if all that's required is to see someone as a threat, why do you need to kill someone who is locked up in prison?"

!! Warning: Contoversial, Flip Answer And Not Necessarily One I Agree With !!

Because he/she/it cannot be turned into a productive member of society and thus to expend resources on keeping them alive is a waste. We do it to animals.

Sorry, guys, but I felt that needed to be said, even though it's somehat to the right of Genghis Khan.

*readies himself for firing squad*

Nim
Member # 205

Feels good to have a group of people that relieves me of having to judge human value.

------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eclipse: Currently, executions are more costly than keeping someone in jail for life because of the appeal system.

First: You remind me of Satan in Paradise Lost.

------------------
"I was as dead as a lesbian black chick at a republican fundraiser."
--Burns Flipper, The Longest Journey

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DT: Dev wasn't executed with the rest of the 1916 Easter Rising leaders because the UK wanted to bring the US into WWI, and killing Dev would have raised hell with American public opinion.

It wasn't being civilized - it was political manoeuvring.

BTW: guess who's country still has the Death Penalty? YEP!! There's a referendum in a few months to see what to do about it.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I've GOTTA hear THIS one.
Of course, it's isn't the first time someone's compared me to Lucifer.

I'm afraid "Paradise Lost" is still on my to-read list.

What exactly makes me like Satan, Tora?

The first true revolutionary?
A rebel against a tyrannical regime?

"Well, better to reign in Hell, eh?"
"W-whatever you say, Lord Lucifer."
"I didn't say it. Milton said it. And he was blind." -- Lucifer to Cain, Sandman: Season of Mists

------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two isn't Lucifer, I can see the connection, but it's not him, it's that lady on bedazzled

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps