Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » death penalty? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: death penalty?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Liam we know that you do not care for this form of punishment but it is an extremely effective deterent."

Er, really? That'd be why the US has such a low crime-rate then, wouldn't it.
You could make a point for Rob's oft-quoted "It'll reduce the crime-rate by 1!" thing, but I don't think it especially works as a deterrent. Not more so than other forms of punishments which non US-constitutioned countries have.

"Until then...Regular or Extra Crispy"

Wow. Someone has (for the first time), managed to post something that has actually offended me. Well done.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The Bible says 'Thou shalt not kill'! You're a hypocrite!

*shrug* You wanna ignore the Bible, be my guest. You seem to like making excuses for why God doesn't mind people violating his Ten Commandments, even though you claim to love God. Please, explain to me, why does God not disaprove of the Death Penalty?

You know, I actually was going to leave this thread alone, but since Omega threw out the invite, why stay away, right?

Omega's posts here as well as his views on the current slavery discussion have led me to conclude he's a racist, although I don't think he realizes it yet. Hopefully, he will make a determined effort to stop thinking such vile and despicable thoughts (possibly, he'll even join the human race at some point).

Arguing with Omega is like trying to reason with Gowron. He's too thick-headed to listen to that which makes sense. This concludes my Omega bashing for this thread, which, I might add, I would not have begun if Omega had not, in effect, begged me too. Did it not seem like that to you, too? I must also admit that I had previously thought that Omega did not like me much, however, by his plea for my company, I am led to believe that Omega wishes me to Man-Train with him. I shall, no doubt to his dissapointment, decline that invitation. Mostly, because I do not like to drive south of Rosslyn, Virginia. Also, because I do not like the Man-Train. I prefer the Man/Woman-Train.

Oh, yes, we're speaking of the Death Penalty, aren't we?

I'm opposed to the DP for the reasons stated so very well by so many people. I think it is skewed against minorities, but then again, I feel the whole system of Justice in this country is skewed towards those with more money -- more money, better lawyers. No money, freebie lawyers. Gee, wonder who'd be better? (Especially given that the Defense Counsels provided by the state are usually very overworked).

I also think it's more punishing to make someone live a long life in a tiny cell, then execute them. I know if I had the choice between life in a cell, or death, I'd choose death because, frankly, I'd hate to spend my whole life in a jail. It would be the ultimate punishment -- and that's why I'm against the DP.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 26, 2001).]

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega spewed his usual filth forth: "Does that include the two gay guys that raped and killed that ten year old in CA a while back? Just curious."

Yes I do. I play no favourites. You kill unjustifiably, you die.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see what those two guys being gay had to do with anything, unless he was trying to play to any favorable bias you might have for homosexuals, Jordan.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you see, Omega is both a homophobe and a racist. That is why I support the death penalty, to put garbage like Omega out of their pitiful existence. Keep in mind, this is the same man who once said that blacks are poor because they're lazy and stupid. If I remember correctly, didn't Omega also once defend the Rodney King beating?

Back to the point at hand. The death penalty is barbaric. I ask you this, what does the US, Iran, Saudi Arabia and China have in common? They're the leaders in state murder (aka the death penalty) in the world. Civilized countries do NOT have the death penalty for crimes (during peacetime). As Liam said, if the death penalty is such a detterent, then why does the US have such a high crime rate? The two industrialized countries with the highest crime rates are US and Russia, which both have the death penalty. Western Europe, which has abolished the death penalty, has lower crime rates.

America still executes people for crimes during peacetime. America still executes the mentally ill and those under the age of 18, which are both considered crimes under international law. Life without parole is not that bad an alternative. Because if the government acting in our name kills even one innocent man, then we are all bloodguilty. And I for one do not want to be... until I take my Glock 9 and stick it down that racist gaybashing Omega's throat.

*the above post contained certain satirical elements*

------------------
"A mass of tears have been transformed to stones now, sharpened on suffering and woven into slings"
Zack de la Rocha
Rage Against the Machine

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

America still executes ... those under the age of 18

Don't you mean that we execute people for crimes committed while they were under the age of 18?

I don't think we actually execute people before they're at least 18 (unless they're black and running from cops, but that's another thread).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say this once and no more. I believe that when you MALICIOUSLY take another life, you automatically forfiet your own. I don't care what the colour of skin you have or your sexual orientation is or whatever, there is ~NO~ justifiable excuse short of your own very life in threat of being taken where you should kill.

This particular gayboy don't play no favourites.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

[This message has been edited by Quatre Winner (edited April 27, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You came back...for that?

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 27, 2001).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crikey!! Is that actually DT.

Enough with the love fest, continue to show Omega where he is in error.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is hard to tell which parts are satirical and which ones you actually mean. I agree with Ultra Magnus... You came back...for that?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm.....I'm just curious, doesn't USSR have a way better crime rate then Russia nowaday??

I don't know why death penality does not work in the US (possibilly because most scum bags are just as well armed as the local polices?), but death penality sure works for other country, Singapore , China, Japan, etc...

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've heard me attack the death penalty citing examples of nations other than the United States. You've heard me attack it citing International law and Amnesty International. You've heard me attack it citing cases of wrongful convinction here in Canada.

But now I'll do something different. I'll attack it using Christianity.

Matthew 5

quote:
(38) "You have heard that it was said, `Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' (39) But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. (40) And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. (41) If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. (42) Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (43) "You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' (44) But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (45) that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Dear Religious Right: Please shut up.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 27, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clarification: I believe that the death penalty should only be reserved for the lowest of the low. Serial rapists and murderers, Racial Murderers, and the like. A man killing his wife during a marital dispute does not, in my eyes, warrant a death penalty. He should be left to rot in his own personal hell in that cell of his.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I do not like the Man-Train. I prefer the Man/Woman-Train."

Was it really necessary, in the middle of an argument about the Death Penalty, for you to inform us all that you are not gay, Jeff?

You know, it's interesting how people arguing against the Death Penalty are going for Omega. There are lots of other people who agree with it, you know. Yet no-one wants to argue with First of Two. Hmm.

Also, is it really necessary for you lot to adopt a mob-mentality, and stand on the virtual street corners shouting "Omega's a racist!"? It doesn't help anything. The only thing he's said that even close to that is that black people, in the US, commit more murders than white people, relative to their segment of the population. Now, assuming that's true, stating the facts doesn't actually make him a racist, does it? If I said "Black people can't swim as well as white people, on average", that's not being racist. That's pointing out a fact.

BlueElectron: I didn't think that Japan had the death penalty. I could be wrong. Although, to be fair, you are living in a time when the USSR still exists, so your information could be out of date.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: nobody wants to fight with me! waaaah!

Mayhaps that's because I tend to take a more reasoned balance. Or I argue better. Or maybe I'm just right.

>"why does God not disaprove of the Death Penalty?"

Because HE frags people right and left, and incites his followers to do so as well, (which you'd know if you'd read any bits of the Bibble beyond what they put Charlton Heston in.)

As for calling Omega a racist, one has to wonder at that... is a statement racist if it's true?

According to the FBI's crime statistics (you can go look them up for yourself), somewhere around 50% of murders (I actually can't remember if it was 54% or 45%, so I picked halfway in between) in the US are committed by Blacks. So far, so good.

Then, we look at US population statistics, and notice that Blacks make up only about 12% of the population.

Which means, no matter how you look at it, that the rate IS disproportionately higher, like it or not.

As for Omega's 'homophobism': I put it to you that, despite all the high-horse attitudes here, many activists WOULD 'play favorites' with their group-of-choice, and Omega's rightfully pointing that out.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited April 27, 2001).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps