Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Iran Woman Said Stoned to Death (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Iran Woman Said Stoned to Death
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. My. I. Am. So. Shocked.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucus:

you're trying to to prove the assertation that Marx was responsble for how others misinterpreted his writings.

Did you even read my post? I said that I wasn't trying to prove this, but that I was trying to get you to see the flaw in your own logic.

We're proving that the very belief in an aggressively evangelical relgion/cult.....whether it be Islam or Christianity is inherently dangerous because its followers cannot believe that they have the only "truth" while on the other hand still being tolerant towards others and respecting their different systems of belief

*SIGH*

Even after all the times I've pointed it out, you STILL don't know the definition of "tolerance"? I AM tolerant, precisely because I DON'T stone people for disagreeing with me. I don't do that because not doing so is an inherant part of my system of beliefs. Tolerance isn't refraining from saying, "You're wrong." Tolerance is refraining from HARMING someone because they're wrong.

What this means is, I don't think that Islam is inherently more dangerous than Christianity or vice versa.....its just hypocritical for Christians to slag Islam for being intolerant when they've done, and continue to do many of the same things.

"Continue to do?" Oh, please elaborate on that.

See, the difference is that Islamic beliefs as I understand them REQUIRE the death of anyone who does certain things in disagreement with them. Mine flat-out PROHIBIT such actions. It's the difference between built-in intolerance and built-in tolerance.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"See, the difference is that Islamic beliefs as I understand them REQUIRE the death of anyone who does certain things in disagreement with them. Mine flat-out PROHIBIT such actions. It's the difference between built-in intolerance and built-in tolerance."

All these words are real, but the sentences they're in make no sense at all.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you're just not reading them, 'cause they make perfect grammatical sense to me.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not tolerant, Omega. But I understand you want to tell yourself that so that you can confirm that you're a "good christian" every night.

Hate to break this to you, but saying to someone that they are wrong means that you don't tolerate their beliefs.

Tolerance means accepting other views.

You don't accept other people's views (especially when they question details about christianity and the bible).
Instead, you have invested tens or maybe even hundreds of hours to say to everyone you meet in the threads that oppose you that they are wrong and have flawed logic.

You need to get more confidence in your faith so that you don't feel the urge to judge us all the time. We'll get by, I swear.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Member # 91

Tolerance means accepting other views.

No, that would be called "acceptance". Tolerance means TOLERATING other views (duh). Putting up with them, allowing their existence, no matter if it causes you inconvenience or what.

You don't accept other people's views (especially when they question details about christianity and the bible).

That's because they disagree with mine, and I'm not going to change my views just to make someone else happy.

Instead, you have invested tens or maybe even hundreds of hours to say to everyone you meet in the threads that oppose you that they are wrong and have flawed logic.

If they're wrong, and their eternal soul depends on their realizing it, what do you expect me to do?

You need to get more confidence in your faith so that you don't feel the urge to judge us all the time.

When have I judged you?

We'll get by, I swear

And I swear, you won't.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... if ALL the Crusaders, and ALL of the Church leaders, and ALL of the people who followed them and failed to oppose this evil were NOT Christians...

Since history seems to indicate clearly that ALL of the people followed the Church...

One must ask, WHERE were the 'Real' Christians? What happened to them? They disappear ENTIRELY from that point in history!

When a religion loses the entirety of its followers, it dies.

Looks to me as though 'Real' Christianity died in Europe centuries ago. You and the other 'Fundies' are simply trying to resurrect a dead belief system and claim it as your own.

>

quote:
Mine flat-out PROHIBIT such actions. It's the difference between built-in intolerance and built-in tolerance.

OOH, it's DINNERTIME! I'm so glad you said that.

Like 19:26-27, immediately AFTER (and clearly not part of, but relating to, the story) the parable of the master who gives money to his servants.

"For I say unto you, That to every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that shall be taken away from him.
But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

[ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not going to change my views just to make someone else happy."

My friend, the ten year old.

No one's asking you to change your views, but you shouldn't have to step in every time you think you have to defend your honour or something.

An adult with confidence in himself can have a man scream in his face that Austria is a continent or Jesus was a fraud or the lunar landing never happened, it wouldn't matter because he knows what HE believes and that's all that matters.

Now, by the tone of your last post I gather you don't take this conversation seriously, you're just having the time of your life when you got someone on the hook, eh?
A misguided idealist, thinking he's got answers? :-)

Well this one's on me.

I understand I'm doing the same thing you're doing here, going out of my way and trying to get you to see the warning signs, so I'll take my own advice and stop trying to reason with you.

You just let me worry about my eternal soul, okiedokie?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

Oh, and pay your respects to the murdered woman who spawned this sorry thread.
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A late reply to Omega... i did not mean YOU as in YOU (Omega) should be nice, i meant it as in the plural "you". Why can't "you" (people in general) just be nice. It had nothing to do with your behavior in the debate whatsoever.

egomaniac

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Omega
Member # 91

Fo2:

One must ask, WHERE were the 'Real' Christians? What happened to them? They disappear ENTIRELY from that point in history!

Possible. The protestant movement didn't get started for some centuries after the Crusades. People only started thinking for themselves again around the sixteenth or seventeenth century.

Of course, the Catholic church had a bad habit of silencing people who disagreed with them, so people who DID think for themselves probably kept quiet about it, and thus weren't recorded. Either way.

When a religion loses the entirety of its followers, it dies.

I would disagree. Paganism has made a comeback of late, and it'd been dead, for, what? A millenium or two?

Luke 19:26-27, immediately AFTER (and clearly not part of, but relating to, the story) the parable of the master who gives money to his servants.

No, it's part of the parable. Try other translations.

Nimrod:

No one's asking you to change your views, but you shouldn't have to step in every time you think you have to defend your honour or something.

Oh, yes I do. I don't want people believing lies told about me. I suppose that would qualify as defending my honor, wouldn't it?

An adult with confidence in himself can have a man scream in his face that Austria is a continent or Jesus was a fraud or the lunar landing never happened, it wouldn't matter because he knows what HE believes and that's all that matters.

Not quite. It wouldn't matter to the man. However, it MIGHT matter to people within earshot who don't know any better. They might very well believe the falsehoods being shouted if the man doesn't contradict them, might they not?

You just let me worry about my eternal soul, okiedokie?

As you wish, Nimmie. Drop me a line if you change your mind, and don't say I didn't try. And don't think that'll stop me from trying with anyone else.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that thing from Luke looks like part of the parable. But it doesn't say anywhere in there what the "lord" in the story represents. Nothing in the parable claims that he's bad. I have to assume he represents Yahweh, and that seems to support what Rob is saying.

Poor, misunderstood Jebus...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's part of the parable, then WHY does the person change?

The entire parable except for that last bit, is told in the third person. That last bit is in the first. That's a drastic change, even for poorly-trained translators and marginally literate writers.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Member # 91

Tim:

I have to assume he represents Yahweh, and that seems to support what Rob is saying.

Not quite. It supports that those who do evil, and actively rebel agaist God, will be harshly punished; AFTER Jesus returns.

OUR purpose is to give sinners every chance to be saved. Killing them would defeat the purpose, no?

Rob:

What the heck are you talking about?

"His master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant!...'"

That's from vs. 22. The master refered to himself in the first person throughout.

v25-26

"'Sir,' they siad, 'he already has ten!'

"He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, ut as for the one who hasnothing, even what he has will be taken away.'"

And the pattern doesn't change here.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Ah, you've got a point, possibly. I keep forgetting that the KJV is the Voyager of Bibbles.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps