Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Iran Woman Said Stoned to Death (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Iran Woman Said Stoned to Death
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Then why is the lord (Yahweh) telling his servants (humans) to kill the rebels?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A better way to ask that question would be "What is JC trying to say here, and why is the killing of the rebels relevant to his point?"

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because that is what will happen to those who have rebelled when He returns.

The master doesn't represent God, he represents Christ. He left, and then returned as a king for what was his. He's saying that those who rebel will be destroyed once he returns. If the command was to do so NOW, BEFORE he returned, then the master would have given that order to his servants before he left, not after he returned.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if Jesus will kill all of the 'bad' people, wouldn't he be breaking all of the rules that he laid down for humanity?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not quite. I'm talking about active rebellion, like that practiced by Satan et al. Those who KNOW the truth, and actively work to sabotage Him. That's where the burning lake of fire in Revelation comes in.

But even if it was, God CAN break the rules set for humanity, 'cause he's GOD, and the rules are for HUMANITY.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So then what does the rest of the parable refer to, with the various people that the lord invests with money? The deciphles? The church? Why do they need to show a profit?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Omega
Member # 91

That would be the church, the followers of Christ. If we haven't saved more souls by the time He returns, we haven't done our job.

--------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to follow the teachings of anyone that isn't prepared to teach by example.
And Omega, I do beleive in god, but I beleive in a good god, one that cares for people, and doesn't force them to go around preaching to everyone, one that won't hurt others for their mistakes because tolerance is one of his most important teachings. The one I'm talking about is Jesus Christ, I have no idea who the hell you're talking about.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Omega
Member # 91

He did teach by example. Jesus didn't go around killing people, did he?

I beleive in a good god, one that cares for people, and doesn't force them to go around preaching to everyone

Well, let's see. If God loves you, and you're on your way to eternal damnation if you don't learn a specific thing and execute what you then know, then that loving God would be REQUIRED to tell me to teach you, would He not?

one that won't hurt others for their mistakes

No, no, the idea is that we've already hurt ourself by making the mistake. The question is whether you'll let Him heal you.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

"I bring not peace, but the sword."

There's your leadership by example, or at least the one that's been followed for centuries.

Of course. "He that lives by the sword shall die by the sword" is another quote from the same source, so it's no wonder the poor people are conflicted.

quote:
If we haven't saved more souls by the time He returns, we haven't done our job.

So, if the Church is like the non-investing man, who does God give what the Church HAD to?

And doesn't that same parable imply that the lord in the story is prone to making 'money' by less-than-ethical means?

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

"I bring not peace, but a sword" refers to the fact that those who believe in the Messiah will NOT have peace, but will instead be persecuted.

So, if the Church is like the non-investing man

No, the Church doesn't exist as an entity in this parable. Where'd you get that? Each member of the Church is one of the servants.

And doesn't that same parable imply that the lord in the story is prone to making 'money' by less-than-ethical means?

Wha? If I give money to my stock broker, and tell him to do with it what he pleases, I'm entitled to everything that comes out of that. At least, in this analogy, because the stock broker is working for me voluntarily. If the stock broker makes nothing, he gets nothing, and I give what he was working with to someone who might do me some good with it. Where's the dishonesty?

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

No, I mean IN the parable itself. I don't have it handy, but don't the servants say something about the lord being a person who is a usurer, and takes things that are not his wont?

I may be mistaken about this, I'll check it when I get home, which may not be until late, as I have a date to watch videos with the to-be missus.

--------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

So you're admiting that you beleive in persecuting non-beleivers? This is the point I've been trying to prove all along. You do not respect the teachings of Jesus Christ and are behaving just as bad as the islamic fundies. Anyone that forcibly places his beleifs on others is unworthy of the beleif.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, the story goes that this guy obtains rule over a kingdom, even though the people don't want him to be their king. While he's off getting the power, he gives his servants some money to invest. When he comes back, the ones who gained the most money for him get the most power. But one guy tells him "This isn't right. You're taking money that isn't yours, so I didn't invest it. Here's exactly what you gave me.". So the king takes it and gives it to the guy who had gained him the most money. Then he says to kill everyone who didn't want him to be the king.

So, if Omega is right about what it represents, it means that Jebus is saying "Go out and make me powerful. When I come back, if you've done so, I'll be good to you. But anyone who doesn't like me is fucked.".

Let's see... I think there's a name for someone who exerts power over people w/o their consent... Oh, yeah... "Tyrant".

Omega
Member # 91

Infinity:

So you're admiting that you beleive in persecuting non-beleivers?

This is such an idiotic, baseless statement that I am totally dumbfounded. Where, in any of my posts, could you POSSIBLY get that? It is the diametric OPPOSITE of everything I've said.

Tim:

Basically, the story goes that this guy obtains rule over a kingdom, even though the people don't want him to be their king.

Ah, ah, SOME people don't want him to be king. Some do. Some don't believe that they even have a king to begin with. But either way, He's GOING to be King, by birthright. Deal with it.

it means that Jebus [sic] is saying "Go out and make me powerful."

Not quite. He's going to be powerful, one way or another. He's saying, "Look, I've made you happy. Go make others happy, and in doing so, make ME happy." He wants the maximum number of people to live in happiness with him, and accomplishing that is our job. The monitary investment is the Holy Spirit, and the return is in how many people we can spread that to.

You have to realize something.

God = Love

Yeah, it's cliche, but it's as simple as it gets. God loves you, and He's going to incredible amounts of trouble to make you happy. And yet you fight Him. You CAN NOT LIVE away from God. You, right now, are without God, and if you die without God, THEN you're screwed.

I think there's a name for someone who exerts power over people w/o their consent

Hang on, weren't you all complaining a while back about how God should say, "Screw free will, I'm stopping this [insert undesirable action]?" Make up your minds, would you?

But one guy tells him "This isn't right. You're taking money that isn't yours, so I didn't invest it."

And the one guy is a moron. It IS His money, because He invested it. Again with the stock brokers.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps