Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dealing with dumb people... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dealing with dumb people...
Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who is adamantly convinced (for whatever reason) that one must have a formal college degree to be successful. No I don't mean millionaire, successful, just well-off for somebody with little or no formal degree. When I asked her why she thought this was, I met responses like "its all employers look for" and "its just the way it is.

I tried to tell her that if your education was the only thing that mattered then hiring for a job would be very cut and dry, and the other stuff wouldn't need to be there.

When I suggested asking for an unpaid internship somewhere or volunteer work to boost her character record, she dismissed it with comments such as "volunteer work doesn't pay the bills" and "you don't get paid." Keep in mind she lives at home and has a trust fund that pays for her entire lifestyle.

After many a banging my head on the keyboard I managed to type "*LOL*" with my forhead accidentally.

Why oh why is it hard to logically expain things to people and when they make a claim and I ask them to back it up they say that "its just the way it is..." and "This guy I know got this cool job and he had no education and he just got a break [...]"??

I've given up on people, I swear. They don't act logically, expect everything they hear to be true, and when I find a hole in his or her reasoning he or she gets defensive and say I suck and I'm wrong and their whole reality is crumbling because it doesn't make sense to switch to poultry instead of red meat because red meat is healthier and damn the statistical data and FDA reports and such.

*groan* You should ignore this thread. It sucks, much like my sucky logic-debate skills. [Razz]

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, listen, tell your friend she can give me her cozy trust fund and I'll give her a degree ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had the job of interviewing & hiring people myself, I can wholeheartedly say this: I never once gave a rat's ass where the person went to college (unless of course, it was Harvard or Yale, but I didn't see too many of those...). it was the EXPERIENCE I was looking at, not education background. To that effect, an internship would probably be the BEST thing any college student could do. Yes, it's unpaid, but it will only help you in the long run. Unfortunately, like your friend, most people can't or won't plan for the long run, & can only see the immediate.

Hope this helps.

[ January 31, 2002, 09:35: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be a personnel manager.. and i never once hired a graduate... of course, personnel manager is one of the many duties of the Assistant Store Manager of a McDonald's

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense, but I honestly can't say that I agree with any of you on this topic because as far as I know, none of the people here are high enough in the management level that belong to a well-known major corporation.

Sure, for some of the job, secondary education is not require, but if we talking about a decent white collar professional in a well-establised company with upper-middle class income of $30000 a year and above with employee benefits, then yeah, a university degree in the related field is definately required.

Also, I'm senseing some mis-guided ideas here about job experiences. Sure, experiences are important, but it is the QUALITY that makes it important, not QUANTITY, and I don't think a person can get a respectable high quality job experiences without an secondary education. To have a well established job experiences on your resume, secondary education is a must for the income level that I described.

No matter what society might want to believe, people do judge others by their covers, and employers judge employees by experience (which is based on education as I mentioned above) and education, it only get worst when you get to higher level, it's just a fact of life.

[ January 31, 2002, 18:18: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's true. Even if you have loads of experience, education gives an employer some idea of how well you can handle new or varied experience. Because no job's ever just the same as the one you had before.

Continuing education is important, too.

But as for the scoffed-at charity work/extraneous stuff... if it comes down to two identically-qualified employees (and it often does), they DO look at things like that.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Fo2 on that. Volunteer work is very important, not only because it makes your resume looks great, but also because it makes our society just that little bit better.

Continuing education is a must, because people fresh out into the job force will definately be more "resourceful" because they are in touch with the new technologies or skills in the field of your profession, plus, they probably cost a lot less than you (salary wise), so if a person does not continue his education, he will be replaced and out of job.

Also co-op or internship is a mile-stone for any "newbies" such as myself, by my university offer full salary with it, so I guess that's a bonus for me ^.^

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take Rent-A-Center for example....

Account Managers (nothing realy mangerial) get $27,000.00 a year
Assistant Managers get about $36,000.00
Managers get like $44,000.00

The stress sucks though, and you are getting pressured from the renters and from up above.... life expectancy, er job, is short, like 2 years once you make manager....

Education required, 1 High School Diploma.
also 3 short tests, on general test to get a pay raise from the $27,000.00
one to get to assistant manager and 1 monre to get a store....

RAC isn't a rinky-dink out fit, heck, it ownes part of Colortyme, Rentway is large also, and they did a mini Enron, inflating numbers, busted by SEC, and all.....

So there is places out there that will pay a few pretty pennies to you, but you have to bust your ass to get it, and deal with some heavy duty stress.... Not worth it to me....

My friend works for Concentric/XO as a router tech, he makes almost $50,000.00 a year in Saginaw, easy boring job, no challenge, his high school diploma and his A cert. is all he has.

2 examples with out your Harvard degrees, although with continuing ed.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly my point that I was trying to make to her, Ritten. [Smile]

Let me provide another.

My parents both started working right out of high school (my father far before high school even). Both of whom make more than enough money to live comfortabley. The issue is that niether had to go to secondary school to get ahead in life.

Now this friend of mine, and actually many of my friends, think that a degree is like a mgaic wand of sorts. You can work up to most well-paid positions, no? And has society become so demanding in 30 some years that you have to land a college degree just to get an interview? Personal and societal enrishment aside, skills can belearned in any manner of ways, whether it be on the job or in a classroom.

But anyhow, thank you for your input guys. I guess this thread was sort of a mix between a bitch/rant and a request for opinions. [Smile]

--------------------
Move .sig!!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you do seem to be describing the sort of person who, in polite terms would have "had a fairly easy life", and in not-so-polite terms would have been "spoiled rotten and have no idea of the real world", you are going to fight a losing battle. I have to put up living with a uni housemate who insists he has no money for anything, despite have over �1000 in the bank, despite him receiving �100 a month from his parents, and despite him not having to pay tuition fees or anything. If he spends �30 on a night out, he'll spend hours telling me how upset his parents will be, while I, with my �1000 overdraft have to listen to it. And if you try saying "you're a rich bastard, you, er, bastard", he won't listen.

There are some people who'll listen to others, aware that they have experience in areas that they don't. And there are others who'll only hear what they want to hear. They won't change. Unless you tie them down or something.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although there is some merit in experience/voluteer experience....afterall, thats why I'm enrolled in a university co-op program...
methinks that certain professional occupations might not be too easy or even possible to "work up to."
I mean, you definitely won't be a doctor, or engineer, or architect, etc without a post secondary education.....at least not legally...
And while a professional degree won't guarantee a well-paying job, you certainly increase your chances, and I'm not all that sure as to what you lose out on.
Going out into the workplace immediately after high school isn't exactly the most fun in the world.

Also, a side note of interest (in Canada):
secondary education == high school,
post-secondary == university/college

[ February 01, 2002, 10:06: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boss at Papa John's has one semester of college under his belt.

But he's worked his way up through the pizza ranks from "insider" to "store manager." He's making $45,000 a year including his bonuses. Of course, it helps that he's at one of the busiest stores in the region (his bonuses are about $1,000 a month -- other store managers make a lot less, the guy at Towson makes double Wayne's bonuses). He's constantly been offered promotion to Supervisor (and I wish he would take it because he's a real asshole fuck), which pays about the same, but is an important step to being a District Manager, which pays a significant amount more then he makes now. From there on up, he's in Corporate and making the really big cash.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
. . . the guy at Towson makes double Wayne's bonuses). He's constantly been offered promotion to Supervisor (and I wish he would take it because he's a real asshole fuck), which pays about the same, but is an important step to being a District Manager, which pays a significant amount more then he makes now. From there on up, he's in Corporate and making the really big cash.

But if he's that bad, do you really want him out of your hair and higher up the authority ladder making shit decisions?

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

He's just an asshole to people. And if he were out of my hair, I might get my hours back. Plus, he'd probably be transfered to another region.

So ... yes! [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay, thank you, I forgot the bonuses.......
for the Rent-To-Own employees....
jumps everyone up at least $3,000.00 per month....

In this area degrees don't mean much....

unless you are an architect, engineer, or some such thing.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps