Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Child violence (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Child violence
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1110588a4560,FF.html

Holy cripes! His name must be Damien!

[ February 25, 2002, 17:38: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, to think, if the woman had a gun, she could have stopped the violence then and there and rid the world of another evil soul!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grow up.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should try it first, Rob. Besides, isn't that usually your response to everything? "Well, if they'd HAD a gun ..." or "He should have KNOWN better, he got what he deserved ..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but I'll give Robespierre this; one doesn't have to drag a dead horse into a thread for no real reason.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh... damn you Jay. I had the Robespierre thing up my sleeve for use sometime in the near future. Ptooey.

And apologies for the dead horse. I just stopped and wondered what godly purpose posting this in the Flameboard had aside from the usual "a knife/metal pipe/toy truck can be a deadly weapon too" argument.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I thought it was funny...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, spare the rod and spoil the child, as people say. I wonder if Rob's parents ever beat him. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I posted this in the flameboard because I though someone might think I was trying to say things about Down Under (especially with that Guinness Book record about the "world's most violent place outside of a war zone.")

Also because it might provoke rants/debates on discipline and/or parental responsibility.

I have never, and never would, suggest shooting a three-year-old, or any child, and even suggesting otherwise verges on idiocy. (Admittedly, I don't consider a 14-year-old gang banger a 'child,' but that's another fight altogether.

Vogon: I got spanked, on occasion. Not so much for misbehaving as for lying about it afterwards. Although if I'd acted like that kid, a hide-tanning would almost certainly have followed. (of course, in my family, a 'hide-tanning' was three spanks and a thorough lecture, and the revocation of play priveliges.)

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I posted this in the flameboard because I though someone might think I was trying to say things about Down Under (especially with that Guinness Book record about the "world's most violent place outside of a war zone.")

Also because it might provoke rants/debates on discipline and/or parental responsibility.

I have never, and never would, suggest shooting a three-year-old, or any child, and even suggesting otherwise verges on idiocy. (Admittedly, I don't consider a 14-year-old gang banger a 'child,' but that's another fight altogether.

Fine. So that's why you posted it in the Flameboard. Now let's get on with why you posted it at all. Sure, some people might have (and indeed have) found it funny. But we don't generally associate the posting of whimsical news items with you. Tahna maybe, and Baloo once upon a time, but - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - you quite often tend to have an agenda, a knife to grind if you will. I could speculate on your reasons, but I'm feeling mellow tonight. So I'll just ask straight out: what are you trying to prove?

quote:
of course, in my family, a 'hide-tanning' was three spanks and a thorough lecture, and the revocation of play priveliges
I rest my case. 8)

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote my friend Burke, "Wha?!? The toddler was 'strong'? I'd've tossed that kid into the Robitussin display like a friggin' Chucky doll and then pimp-slapped his mother for good measure."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...some people might have (and indeed have) found it funny."

I hope you don't mean me. I was talking about Tom's joke. The article isn't funny.

Well, maybe w/ the exception of the one lady's saying "I read somewhere that's how terrorists are bred"...

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
So I'll just ask straight out: what are you trying to prove?
That I can post WITHOUT any real agenda?

That if I DO post without any real agenda, somebody will accuse me of having one?

That the endless gun/war/Bush/Clinton posts even bore ME after a while?

That parental irresponsibility is the same all over the world?

quote:
Palm Island, off Townsville in Queensland, which the Guinness Book of Records lists as the world's most violent place outside a combat zone.
That if this is true, then New York, D.C. and Detroit are getting a bad rap?

Take your pick, they're all true.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Well, if one were to provide a rough and very general overview of your posts, it'd be something of the lines of "Me right, everyone else wrong." And since, as once more, I stand corrected by the eminent Mr. Nix regarding the article's chuckle quotient, again I ask: what the fuck, huh?

Of course, I'm reluctant to speculate, but I've noted the article's foreign (as in non-US) origin and subject and am rapidly drawing my own conclusions.

Furthermore, how do you FIND such things? I mean, if it was firearms-related I'd assume that it was plucked fresh from the Firearms Incidents in Countries with Really Good Gun Control, So Nyah section of the NRA newsletter. If on the other hand you consider it politic to regularly scan a wide cross-section of the world's news websites for such tidbits, then, while I applaud your devotion to personal self-enrichment, I only wish I had so much time on my hands. . . 8)

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about that Tom. [Smile]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps