Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What a way to begin Passover. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What a way to begin Passover.
Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.com/news/677951.asp

Your thoughts?

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try This

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Aqsa == The Foundation? HAHA ONE MILLION POINTS.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly is funny?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, if you figure out Magnus' thought process, I'm sure you'll know.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Snay, I'm aware of the misfiring synapses going on there.

I'm just not sure that a thread dedicated to at least 15 people getting blow apart and the violence in the region escalating more and more has much room for humor.

[ March 27, 2002, 14:37: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eventually the terrorists will build bigger car bombs, and the Israelis will shoot more Palestinian, until the terrorists build car bombs so big and the Israelis shoot so many Palestinians that they destroy the(ir) world.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our family did some research on the Palestinians.

Two points which I remember-
1. Jerusalem is of strategic importance to the Palestine state and is holy to Christians and Muslims. Do you see a religious group missing? This tidbit is from their National Affairs Department, based in Gaza City and Ramallah.
2. For the militants, they are fighting a war for the liberation of Palestine. If they lose, a piece of Islam will be lost. This is the thinkning of HAMAS and is reported in a report published by a counter-terrorist agency.

I am not surprised that Americans are viewed as terrorists. A recent poll in Lebanon showed that greater than a 2/3 majority believe this of our country.

Of course, this raises a question. How do Muslims and, especially Palestinians define terrorism to be? If they view their actions as liberation, and we view these same actions as terrorism, don't we have a major disconity in interpretation and understanding?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...don't we have a major disconity in interpretation and understanding?"

Well, duh.

And your two "points" don't seem to make a lot of sense. Is there some sort of context to them?

colin
Member # 217

Context? This is how Palestinians think.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would YOU know what Palestinians think? You're a wannabe Israeli for fuck's sake. And don't start whinging on about how dare a Muslim can call anyone else terrorists, there are plenty of people in the country you currently belong to who think the IRA are freedom fightrers and the British Government the terrorists. It's a common dichotomy, and attempting to label all Palestinians as hypocrites because of it is patently absurd.

As for your two points, why don't you provide the full text of each and we'll decide from there. You can't deduce anything of Palestinian motives from the fact that they neglected to list Judaism as a religion that holds Jerusalem to be a sacred place; most people know it is, a slight omission like that isn't going to do the National Affairs department any favours.

And as for point 2, well, so what? Many Israelis believe they are fighting for the preservation of the state of Israel; if they lose, a significant part of their religion and culture will be lost. It's a no-brainer.

[ March 28, 2002, 08:55: Message edited by: Vogon Poet ]

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, the one time I wasn't trying to make a joke. Whooo.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can brand all members of a particular race as having one mindset. The Isralis and Palestinians are caught in a vicious circle; after so long most people in power are not willing to even listen to the other side's point of view. Both side's reactions are severly flawed, neither is willing to compromise, ultimately one side or the other will have to win. If it is Israel then I believe fighting in the area will escalate as other Arab nations decide to help their 'people'. Israel will probably be left to hang by the West, America cannot be seen to be involved in a religious war, or at least what is percieved as a religious war. It is all a matter of perspective as to who is 'right' and who is 'wrong'.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

colin
Member # 217

If you disagree with my 'context', why don't you do the research? Why don't you provide the quotes to show the Palestinians are capable of different thoughts?

I am a person who wants to be a Jew. Yes, Judaism and Israel are interconnected. However, I have no desire to live in Israel. The place is unsafe. I would rather live in a safer place, say Australia or New Zealand. The last I heard, neither of these countries had a bomb explode in a hotel dinery or at a street cafe or on a bus.

colin
Member # 217

I am not the one who said the Muslims call our country a terrorist nation. The Muslims say that on their own very well.

My question is a fundamental one, and one that may help us to understand their way of thinking: How do they define terrorism?

VP,
I am an American citizen, not a Britisth citizen.

One last note before I close shop-there is an inherent difficulty in researching all aspects of this issue via the web or other means. The US Gov't may be monitoring activity at selected sites. If this is the case, then we will need to proceed carefully through our researches. We don't want anyone profiled as a potential sympathizer of terrorism, do we?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps