Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What a way to begin Passover. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What a way to begin Passover.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way in which you present and express yourself, TE, is how people form their opinions of you. They haven't got anything else to go by.

How you've filled out your profile or how well you grasp the english language is irrelevant.
You feel you're taking an excessive amount of flak... I hate to say it, but you bring that on yourself -- impressions of your character come from what you post and how you post.

One more thing. All of us get picked at once in a while. If there's one thing I've learned during my three year stay, it's that jokes --never personal insults-- are made regardless of background. You really need to grow a thicker skin (a sense of humor would be nice too)... because I can't imagine how you manage to go through life if you take everything as seriously as you at Flare.

[ March 30, 2002, 08:31: Message edited by: Cartman ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, actually, I am curious about that bleachy smell in every Target store I've ever been in. But, seriously, do you think I *LIKE* being known as a "deer killer"?"

On the same note, do you think Simon LIKES being teased over his enormous multiple woman penetrating member? Do you think I like being teased over being funny, gorgeous, sexy, rich, and gorgeous again?

"As for other issues raised here, I am not alone in living with my mother at the age of 30. There are others like me in this country. I work in a discount store, not a supermarket. This is a rather large distinction. A supermarket sells mostly food, with a lesser number of shelves devoted to non-food items. A discount store is the opposite of a supermarket."

Not to tease you here Mr Clavin, but wouldn't the opposite of a supermarket be a restaurant? Or possibly a charity store (where you hand over goods and receive money in return)?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least your name hasn't yet been incorporated into a common word for obsessive behavior...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I wonder how that happened, hmm? [Smile]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I don't get why Palestinians want Jerusalem so bad, as far as I can tell, it ain't even one of the Holy Cities.

Aren't the Holy Cities Makkah and Madinah, but not Jerusalem?

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cities holy to Muslims:

Mecca-Kabbalah
Medina-?*
Jerusalem-Dome of the Rock**

*I don't know the reason for Medina's importance.
**Connections to Abraham and his role to Muslims

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes at BE's ignorance*

...y'know, that big gold dome thing you see in pictures of Jerusalem? That thing. That's sacred to Muslims.

...But it's also kinda beside the point, really. East Jerusalem is mainly inhabited by Palestineans. They'd want to be part of a Palestinean state.

And, let's be blunt here. The West Bank is hardly the nicest piece of Real Estate in the World - It's basically desert or scrubland with water problems and little or no natural resources. There are ranches in Texas that are bigger and worth more. The only people on the planet who actually seem willing to live there are the Palestineans. (There're also several thousand Israelis, generally belonging to poverty-striken Orthodox Jewish families, who after having their heads filled with religious mumbo-jumbo about how God wishes them to live in the land of the Hebrews, have been handed government-subsidized housing in West Bank settlements and are being used as human boundary demarcators to fence in the Palestineans. But I digress.) If there's ever to be peace in the Middle East, the Palestineans need to be able to have a state and develop something of an economy in it so they can at least feed and house themselves. Without East Jerusalem, that's going to be next to impossible.

[ March 30, 2002, 23:52: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Medina where Muhammad started his journey? Or ended it? One of those, I think...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Isn't Medina where Muhammad started his journey? Or ended it? One of those, I think...

Yeah, it's where he and his followers went after being forced out of Mecca, and where he first began to convert large numbers of people.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Medina" and "Mecca" are not the correct spelling.

And I checked, Holy Cities only consisted of the two cities that I mentioned before.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Madinah does more to capture the sound then Medina, but so what?

Jerusalem is most certainly holy to Muslims, for essentially the same reasons it is holy to Christians and Jews.

If western monotheism was a blockbuster film trilogy, we'd have Judaism, Judaism II: The Messiah Project, and Judaism III: Return of Abraham. Christians, at least mainstream Christians, believe everything the Jews believed* except the parts about there not being a messiah yet. Muslims believe everything Jews and Christians believed* except for Jesus being God.

So of course Jerusalem is holy to Muslims. God lived there for a time, after all, in a manner of speaking.

*: When I say believed, I mean to draw a line between Judaism and Christianity and Islam as they existed then and as they exist now. After two thousand years of separation, the three religions have far less in common now than they did then.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"'Medina' and 'Mecca' are not the correct spelling."

Well, excuse me for not having Arabic letters on my keyboard.

Anyway, they're the correct English spellings. I mean, if someone referred to Munich, capital of Bavaria, would you tell them they have to say "München, capital of Bayern"?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for his next trick, BlueElectron will tell us how to spell the name of the leader of Libya.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst making the coherence.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
And for his next trick, BlueElectron will tell us how to spell the name of the leader of Libya.

Libya has a leader?

(just joking)

All this talk of the Mideast. it's all rather confusing, I wonder if half the pople there know why they're fighting.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps