Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I never liked it anyway... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I never liked it anyway...
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pledge of allegiance, that is. I don't think it's much different than swearing your oath to Satan, Stalin or the like. *sigh*

slightly longer link to long, thread-uglifying URL

[ July 04, 2002, 06:10: Message edited by: DeadCujo ]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this be in the Flameboard?

Great ruling. No longer will public schools be as active in brainwashing youth.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, am I flaming it? No. [Razz]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I barely remember the thing. I stopped saying it in 4th grade, & it wasn't even DONE past 5th. Even back then, I never liked the idea since I didn't think that "God" was so hot, & so I would stand there & merely move my lips in vocal-like motions. I didn't even want to silently mouth the words.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still remember it well. We did it every day for the first six yers of school.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me, if you never liked it, are you in favor of removing "In God We Trust" from our currency?
BTW, my view is... I don't really care. I mean just because one says it, it does not mean one believes in the existence of god. And if you don't like saying the Pledge of Allegiance, then don't. All you had to do was stand up, stare up at the flag, place your hand over your heart, and just do nothing else. You can say the pledge, but keep out the god part of just lip-sync the whole thing. I really don't think anyone else would have been staring at you or listening closely at you anyway so you would have not been caught.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
are you in favor of removing "In God We Trust" from our currency
Yes. Stop printing it on bills and stop engraving it on coins. Bills get destroyed fairly frequently, anyway, so it won't take long to get them out of the way.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

I remember getting in trouble at school when I was young for not doing the pledge. I'd not want to and I'd be punished for not doing so. How can the government make religion in public schools illegal, but force religion on everyone in the country through currency? I don't see the point of it all and I never have.

[ June 26, 2002, 18:19: Message edited by: DeadCujo ]

--------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but force religion on everyone in the country through currency?
Yeah don't you hate it when good old Abe starts preaching at you from the front of your fives? or god forbid those long drawn out sermons he gives us when ever we pick a penny up off the floor?

I dont know about you but people dont look down at they're money and have the urge to find religion.

Though I agree that perhaps the "under god" part could be edited out I believe some form of pledge should be said in school. The original pledge created by Francis Bellamy was much more acceptable.

quote:
'I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.'
I remember when I was in school we said this version instead which was later followed by the national anthem.

[ June 26, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that all mention of "god", etc, should be removed from the next revision of each piece of currency and should be removed from any governmental seals, etc. i don't think it would be worth doing a recall of currency, though. just a gradual replacement.
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't care, before, and never had a problem with the traditional "under God" and "In God We Trust" phrases. But that was before I stopped having any belief in a god and/or gods.

Therefore, the "In God We Trust" and "One Nation, Under God" phrases are a violation of one's rights to religious freedom... many of our wonderful senators seem to forget that "religious freedom" also includes the right to have no religious beliefs at all!

And of course, there's also an easier example: Hindus and Buddhists, among others. They certainly don't believe in God. Heck, saying "one nation under God" effectively lumps all religions together in a rather insensitive and idiotic way, when the vast majority of religions are based on exclusivity.

This is just the legacy of the ultra-Christian WASP heritage of the old English colonies. I for one am very glad that at least SOME court had the sense to realize that that phrase is an effective endorsement of religion.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, I forget which Roman did that for the catholic religion.... all those centuries ago, but the effect was the same, clump it all together and call it what you want....

This country was founded on religious beliefs, but it has since out grown many of it's founding fathers ideals.

In the end, what does really matter....
Either it doesn't, cause their is no Higher Authority, or it does.... Everyone has a 50/50 chance....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day in elementary school and junior high school. In high school, it dropped to just two days a week. Elementary school was worse since I was also in the Cub Scouts at the time (but that's a whole nothing story).

As someone who is agnostic, I've never taken offense at having that as part of the Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't even really bother me that "In God We Trust" is emblazoned on all the currency that seems to get sucked out of my wallet faster than I can put it in there.

I suppose the main reason for me is that, to me, "under God" and "In God We Trust" are just phrases that have no real importance to me. For me, it bothers me as much as saying "one nation, under Grapthar's Hammer." After all, I'm also still quite liberal in my use of "Jesus Christ" and "God damn it!" as profanity.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a debate on a some-what related topic a couple weeks ago, on the TV. they were talking about counterfitting, and how they could make it harder to counterfet US Currency without removing the classical look to it. in Canada here, we have a new 5 and 10 dollar bill, that when you flash it under a black light, the original bill appears. it's pretty cool, and is supposed to make it very hard to countefit money. Anyways, back to the real topic. I'm fairly good in History, and i've been taught that America was founded as a place to worship in the Catholic religion without condemnation in England at the time. So America started out as a catholic community. and you can't change that. But I hardly ever see an american bill, so do whatever the hell floats your boat! [Smile]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread has been reported to the Office of Right Thinking.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps