Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I never liked it anyway... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: I never liked it anyway...
The Real Folk Blues
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Add an 's' or appropriate, uh, letters, to God.
so we should add an "s" to the nonexistant gods for religions that don't have gods? sounds like a plan [Roll Eyes]

goverment official: "according to this, mr buddhist, when you say the pledge of allegiace you are referring to ' s' when you say god."

buddhidt: "but my religion has no god! my religion is about individual enlightenment through one's own actions!"

government official: "that doesn't matter, as an idiot has decreed that an 's' be added to the end of everything."

IP: Logged
Ed / BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Ritten said.
IP: Logged
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the love of God(s), now Omega will agree with me....... [Wink]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you mean G(g)od(dess)(es)?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...things like E Plurbus Unum would have just passed..."

I'm not sure I see what this has to do w/ anything. "E pluribus, unum" is simply a reference to the fact that the country is made up of a bunch of different states. It's from back in the day when "United States" was a plural noun.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I got carried away.... It happens here.... now too me... damn you all for making me get carried away.... [Wink]

Okay, so skip that one.... I should have put 'In God We Trust' there....

My point is, for those that have the faith in God, is that this is to be expected.... The attempted removal of God from all aspects of life in the days preceeding the false prophet....

So the happenings that we are seeing are expected, and should not be surprising, as the religious value is lessened by satan's minions...

If it wasn't for the need to keep up with the banter here, especially in topics like this, I doubt that I would have started going to church again... but since I have started I have gotten a decent job that I like, and made several good non-cyber friends.... An ironic twist, I feel....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family is composed of a bunch of fundie christians. They had me baptized when I was still an fetus.

So lately, I've been hearing about all this in one viscious tirade after another, and I generally ignore it.

But: I have made up my mind about something--Christians do not understand the mind of an atheist AT ALL.

Or, at least, they don't understand INTELLIGENT atheists.

You see, being an fella that swings between being an atheist and an agnostic (mostly depending on mood) myself, I have to be lumped together with people that actually care about things like this by the God Fearing Right.

I don't CARE whether or not some kid has to say "Under God" in the pledge. Personally, I think the guy who brought this lawsuit up in the first place is a fucking idiot. He ONLY wanted fame, and so he decided to go about it by smashing something that 90% of the people cherish...That's STUPID.

If the kid didn't want to say it, she DIDN'T have to. It's not like some fucker was standing there with a knife to her throat, "You'd better be saying the words, lass, or..."

So because of this nitwit, I have to listen to Mom and Pop mumble about the decline of civilization, and how all the prophecies of John the Revelator are coming home to roost.

"Best watch yourself, Jason. They'll get ya for sure if you don't change yer ways..."

"Who, Dad?"

"Them evil liberal spirits, boy. Them that got your sister, made her a baby killer!"

Fuck, I'd kill that guy myself just for that.

I'm actually glad the ninth circuit court put an hold on the order. No more of this family collusion to get me back to the dark ages.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note, there's general shit going down in the journalism community because Fox News posted the office phone number of the judge involved onscreen and urged its viewers to call him and pass on their opinion. Given the target audience of Rupert Murdoch's little baby, it's pretty obvious what kind of commentary was being encouraged, and this is now basically being seen within the journalism community as a media outlet encouraging harassment. Of course, Fox News has been seen as a journalistic embarassment by its peers for years, especially since the various incidents with Geraldo. Then again, since everyone who doesn't work for Fox News is a part of the evil liberal journalism conspiracyTM, I guess that's pretty meaningless.

[ June 30, 2002, 22:40: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they'll post the phone numbers and addresses of people who work in abortion clinics next.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They had me baptized when I was still an fetus.
This just sounds unpleasent for all concerned.
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I have stated before that I am a practicing Roman Catholic (not that I expect anyone to care about, or remember, the religious affiliation of one non-regular (unregular?) Flareite). That said, I am in full agreement with the court's decision.

I just wanted to remind everyone that not all Christians are Bible-thumping, hellfire-and-brimstone-condemning, right-wing whackos who think, contrary to the Founding Father's intent, the United States is a Christian nation and damn it, it's (flag's) pledge is gonna have "God" in it. (Indeed, those kinds of "Christians" generally hate Catholics, per Bob Jones University.)

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This just sounds unpleasent for all concerned.

It was videotaped, if you want to see it.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultrasound and a long (and presumably rather uncomfortable) tube with gravity-fed holy water?

Reverend McGuiver?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Member # 480

It's bizarre, man. There's a priest rubbing my mom's belly with holy water, and mumbling in latin, and a bunch of people I don't recognize standing around watching, with tears in their eyes.

And yet, my mom and dad AREN'T in a cult.

What?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they are. It's just that the big cults get called "religions".

And what will it take to make people realize that this has nothing�absolutely zero�to do w/ "forcing kids to say the pledge". Read this, then maybe you'll figure it out. The plaintiff knows better than some of you, apparently, that the school didn't force his kid to say anything. His problem is that they made her "watch and listen as her state-employed teacher in her state-run school leads her classmates in a ritual proclaiming that there is a God". The article explains quite simply how the court determined that it's wrong, and it makes 100% logical sense. Just because some of you don't care, what does that have to do w/ anything? I may not care if the government says it's okay for people to steal all your stuff. After all, it doesn't affect me if it's your stuff. But would my telling you to quit griping make everything okay?

[ July 01, 2002, 01:39: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps