Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The fate of the USS Voyager itself.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The fate of the USS Voyager itself....
ImmortalBear
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
While a lot of speculation has been made concerning what will happen to the crew once Voyager returns to Federation space, I wanted to discuss a topic that I think has been overlooked: what will happen to the Voyager itself upon its return.

While I don't see TPTB at Starfleet Command decommissioning Voyager anytime soon after its homecoming, I think that the ship is due for some serious time in Spacedock, a year at the very least if not more. Being in continous operation for 7 years without any refits/upgrades/maintenance overhauls has probably accelerated the MTBF(mean time between failure)rate on some of Voyager's systems, so one could surmise that the Voyager crew has had to repair/replace certain components and systems a lot more often than a Starfleet vessel in the Alpha Quadrant with access to a starbase. So you could say that Voyager is just a skosh overdue for its 10,000 light year lube job and oil change.

Systems that may need inspecting/replacing/upgrading: (IMHO)

Propulsion systems: Some of the warp coils in the nacelles have probably worn out during Voyager's journey, and may warrant repair, refurbishment, or replacement. The yard engineers may want to take a look at the warp core as well, possibly eject it from the ship and then inspect it.
As for the impulse engines, they will probably get a good once over as well, though probably not as thorough as the warp drive systems.

Tactical systems: This is one area in which I expect Voyager to receive a major overhaul in. Voyager carried no quantum torpedoes in its weapons loadout upon its arrival in the Delta Quadrant, only photon torpedoes, its store of which has to be almost depleted by now (Am I incorrect on this?). Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't all Starfleet vessels in the AQ been upgraded to carry/fire quantum torpedoes as well as photon torps? If that is the case, I see no reason why Voyager's probe/torpedo launchers shouldn't be refitted to have the same capability as the rest of the ships in the fleet.
Phaser upgrades are probably in order as well, and while I don't think it would work if they installed in Voyager the same type of phaser banks found in the Enterprise-E, at least upgrade them to the type found in the prototype USS Prometheus.

Starfleet will probably want to go over the astrometrics lab with a fine-toothed comb too, but the one component that will be probably be analyzed more thoroughly than any other part of Voyager has to be the computer core. Considering that Voyager is probably collected more information about the Delta Quadrantin the past seven years than most unmanned probes gather in a lifetime, Federation scientists, no matter what their field of study, are probably going to spend years, if not decades, going over the records in Voyager's database concerning stellar cartography, exobiology, spatial phenomena, you name it.

Any thoughts on this?

------------------
"I've seen more stable nuthouses. I bet Picard never has these problems."
-Mackenzie Calhoun
Captain USS Excalibur

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic, but here's the reality: That ship should have been destroyed several times over, with it's track record in the Delta Quadrant. At the least, it should be falling apart or have some scorch marks on the hull. However, at the beginning of every episode, we see the ship in pristine condition. This shows how much emphasis TPTB will likely put into the ship itself once it returns home (and I have no doubt that it will). I'm sure that the fate of the characters will be focused on much more than the ship.

Hell, what do you expect when they totally destroy a ship and then bring the same ship back in the next episode in perfect condition, with the lame excuse that they "rebuilt" it in the nanoseconds of time between running from Borg?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call on the topic. And welcome to the forums too.

I'll start backwards. Computer core? Copy, paste, backup (in spacedock) and low-level format it!

Tactical: As with other Defiant-class vessels and the prometheus it seems quantum-torpedoes aren't just handed out to any little boat in the fleet.
In fact, the Defiant got it because TPTB wanted her to enter the show with a bang, the Ent-E got it to enter "First Contact" with a bang and the Lakota got them to show how Admiral Leyton (that right?) had beefed up his ships.

Also, as have been proven by Deffie and the Ent-E, ships can carry both types of warheads in their banks.
The Defiant fired photon torpedoes mostly backwards, and the E-E had a good magazine of them on her belly, to take out the Defiant-gripping borg tractor-beam in the beginning of FC.
The Prommie prolly HAD quantums, they just weren't selected as default by the clumsy EMH-2... (You're supposed to tell it what to do!)

I like to fantasize Voyager with quantums, she is a good fighting ship, bigger than a Defiant but not as clumsy or as random as an Akira or Nebula.
Alas, I believe, if she'd really be worked over and refitted, she'd get the same standard issue photons anyhow.

I have a theory about torpedo launchers. All the one's we've seen on SF-vessels have had rectangular muzzles or square ones, with a red glow around the edges.
The only two launchers with quantum-capacity have been either oval (E-E), or round (Defiant).
It's impossible to see the Deffie's muzzles on-screen but I've seen a good cutaway-view.

So my theory is that the square muzzles are too small to house a quantum, and the quantum-launchers are too big. That's why they had to put a two-barreled photon-launcher on the E-E's belly.
So the launchers are probably not so multi-purpose after all.
Probes, ok, but they're mostly just modified photons anyway.
The Excelsior-class Lakota? The Excelsior-launchers aren't visible, they're hidden, showing just two holes in the hull, so my guess is that the refit-team just ripped out the old launchers and installed a quantum-system, and the big holes on her sides were big enough to hold a quantum from the beginning.

Astrometrics: I'm with you there, they should install a bug-hunting program to test all aspects and functions of it as I'm sure the Borg-modifications aren't 100% compatible with modern Starfleet programming-code. But I'm sure both styles of software will come out better after the merge.

Was it a tachyon-sweep they did on the Ent-D? I'll have one of those too please, in fact make it two sweeps, one on the way back too.

Voyager must've been fired upon at least 5-600 volleys, so a decent bodywork should be good. I'll bet there are some spots on her that the bored crewmen just painted over in lack of proper components. Ablative armor might be overkill (although it wouldn't hurt) but regenerative shielding is a must.

Engineering should need a tune-up. A fresh new warp-core isn't unthinkable, godness knows it has gotten it's fair share too. What with the borg's tinkering in "Scorpion", that experimental semi-slipstream and one jettisoning...
I used to like that flickering light in the core, only before seen on the Enterprise-A, but now it gives me a feeling of power uncontrolled, rolling around like plutonium in a laundry machine.
I vote for a nice new ribbed candy-licorice core, like the Enterprise-E (kinda looked like licorice after the borg queen's mods).

Holodeck: Holodeck...hmm. If I may quote Janice. OH MY GAWD!!!
Now that place should just be torn down and replaced, I wouln't do any changes whatsoever to the computer-core or systems before I knew that frigging birdnest is gone! They made a good call when leaving it out from the Defiant.

Sickbay: If some SF-engineers could work around the clock to mimic the basic principles of the mobile holo-emitter, so the good doctor had some spares, then perhaps they could restrict internal holo-emitters to sickbay only. You know, less plumbing, fewer blocked pipes.

Internal systems: I have two great ideas for Starfleet engineers. The first regarding the wiring inside the walls. Tie them together with tape or big rubber bands or even steel rings and they won't hang down and electrocute people everytime the ship's attacked.

Next, the control panels. To avoid unecessary injuries due to energy-spikes, overloads and short circuits, there's a revolutionary invention, designed to avoid physical damage to the equipment and people operating it.
It's called a "fuse".

What's left? Maybe a ch�f. Even though there are replicators it's nice to have some people preparing and serving it. It's very good for morale.

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 15, 2000).]

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 15, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've never liked that about Voyager ... how the ship is always in PERFECT condition.

I was hoping, at the beginning of the series, that they would start "weathering" the sets ... maybe a rip in the captain's chair, some burn marks, etcetra.

They didn't even do that! Idiots! Numbskulls! Someone want to design the Tokyo? Morons!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think what will happen with Voyager is:-

WARP PROUPLOSION SYSTEM
What will happen due to almost constant use in the Delta Quadrant is that Voyager will have a major overhaul with the almost burnt out warp coils being replaced with new ones. The warp core will be examined and the results will show how constant use affects warp cores. It will either be replaced or upgraded with new components. Voyager's plasma tranfer conduits will almost certainly not be replaced.

IMPULSE PROUPOSION SYSTEM
What will happen is that when Voyager used impulse for going through star system's in her flight path. Voyager's impulse systems seem to haved fare better then her warp drive. But again constant use has put a strain on this other wise vital system. This will be updated with new fusion reactors and field grilles

ASTROMETRICS
When Voyager was taken to the Delta Quadrant. The lab was rather slow and wasn't designed well enough to cope with Voyager's predicerment. When Voyager came accross Borg Space and Seven of Nine came aboard. The lab was radically redesigned and upgraded. All the information will be downloaded and will help starfleet plan any future exploration of the Delta Quadrant through Transwarp and Quamtum slipstream drive.

COMPUTER CORES
All the information will be downloaded and Starfleet will also update any outdated information about the Alpha Quadrant and it's species.

SHUTTLES
Due to the heavy loss of shuttles in the first few years of Voyager's journey. The Shuttles will more then likely be replaced with the newer models.

TACTICAL SYSTEMS
With Voyager's topedoes almost gone. I can say that Voyager only has 10 left. We can say that her launchers will be replaced with Quantum topedoe launchers and will be restocked with them.
Due to Voyager only having a limited number of topedoes her phasers were used more in combat then topedoes. Her phaser banks must be worn out and will probaly be replaced with the newer model. Her Phaser arrays will probaly be up dated to type X+

DELTA FLYER II
The ship will probaly go into mass production with starfleet using the wreckage from the cubes in Star Trek TNG:Best of Both Worlds and Star Trek:First Contact.

THE MESS HALL
When Voyager enters Federation Space. The need for a mess hall will vanish. Neelix will be out of a job. The hall will most likely go back to what it was in Caretaker.

AIROPHONICS BAY
With Voyager now in Federation Space this will become obsolete and will be turned over to it's previous function as a cargo bay.

SEVEN'S BORG ALCOVE
With Seven still more then likely needing this I would say that starfleet will download any information it contains on the Borg.

HOLODECKS
With Voyager only using these when time and power allows. I doubt these will be touched.

SICKBAY
With Voyager's sickbay medical supplies low sickbay will get a new supply. I think the Biobeds will be updated or replaced. I think that the central diagnostic bed will almost certainly be repalced. Any information in the medical database will be downloaded and any new information about the Alpha Quad will be added.
EMH
Due to the fact he has gained a degree of sentience. He more then likely will stay on Voyager as CMO. He will at last get a nurse other then Tom Paris or Kes.

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to take a somewhat different stance here. Despite the recent war and other unfortunate happenstances, Starfleet isn't really so desperately short of ships that one Intrepid class vessel would make a big difference. So instead of trying to upgrade the Voyager or even repair her, Starfleet engineers will probably benefit much more from removing the ship from active duty and carefully examining her for Borg technology, telltale residues of interesting Delta quadrant phenomena, and general data on how a starship performs in exceptional circumstances and conditions.

After making sure that no information would be lost in the process, the computers would probably be cross-linked to powerful analysis machines and thoroughly queried. The Doctor would receive similar attention, while the live crew would be debriefed by more traditional means. Warp and impulse engines would be carefully studied, and the makeshift repairs of Torres & friends carefully backtracked and analyzed. Finally, the engines would probably be tested to destruction rather than repaired. Alternately, various repair techniques could be attempted to see if they apply to such worn-down machinery, yet the engines would never see actual service again.

The spaceframe itself would receive similar attention, and some aspects of it would perhaps be tested to destruction. Overall, it would still be left largely intact so that the ship could be turned into a monument or tourist attraction later on.

An alternate scenario would have the ship stripped of its modifications, and all improvements carefully hunted down and destroyed, be they Borg or Torres handiwork. Anything separating the ship from other Intrepids would be removed, to simplify fleetwide maintenance (minor regulation-approved "personal modifications" that are part and parcel of every starship notwithstanding). The old crew would most likely never serve aboard the vessel again, having become galactic celebrities and assigned to wholly different duties, some of which may be pure PR jobs not involving starship service at all.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone really think any of this detail will be touched on screen, though? While I agree with Timo's realistic assessment, given the sentimental nature Starfleet seems to have towards it's captains who have their own series, I think alot less realistic approach will be taken. Assuming of course that the ship survives the homecoming (which I am convinced that it won't).

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumour that Captain janeway might get court-matialled when she gets back home. Her command decisions would be questioned since she did get the crew stranded in the Delta Quadrant.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So basically theoptions are:

1. Voyager gets trashed getting home, they get a new ship. Probably called the Voyager-A, and probbly still an intrepid. Fanboys die of indignation.
2. Voyager gets home OK, but is deemed unrepairable and unupgradeable, and is sent off to be taken apart fro science. Fanboys die of indignation.
3. Voyager gets homa and is upgraded into a super-battleship Dominion killer with Type-XXVII Phasers, 12 Quantum torpedo launchers and an aerowing shuttle that's a mini Defiant. Fanboys die of masturbation.

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

Nim
Member # 205

How about a "U96" kind of ending?
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*L @ VP*

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean a "Das Boot" ending? Voyager is entering a space or drydock in Fed space and suddenly is attacked by an enemy. Most of the crew is killed and the ship is destroyed before it could dock.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank you SO much for ruining that movie for me!!!

Hee-hee ... just kiddin'

=)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Germany loses the war, too.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Gonna donate half my money to the city.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps