Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The fate of the USS Voyager itself.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The fate of the USS Voyager itself....
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 'Brotherhood of War' type series might have it's merits.

If you're going to have a 7 year run you'll have 182 eps. Follow a group of three or four officers through the first seven years of their careers.

First year is their first assignment aboard the USS Kung Fu as Ensigns, end season with them going to LT(jg) or LT.

Second year they are one two different ships assigned to the same area, maybe promote, maybe not.

Third year they could get re-assigned to the same posting, some special task force or some such.

Fourth year would be somewhat similer to the 2nd.

Fifth year they could be promoted to command ships.

Sixth year I dunno

Seventh year, same as the 6th.

Might be a god idea, might not....

------------------
**...****...**

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a nice idea, but the problem is, it would be 7 years of that "Underdecks" TNG episode ... we'd all be wondering what the *hell* is the senior staff doin'?

If we did focus on junior officers, you'd still have to have a couple actors in recurring roles as the senior staff -- at least a Captain and XO ... we could see the XO a lot more than the CO, since the XO "executes" the CO's orders, so we'd only have to see the CO a few times a season (unless a lot of episodes feature the officers on the bridge)

Seas. 1 - 3: the junior officers (Ensign all, 3rd season maybe lieutenant jgs), work in their various departments aboard a science vessel ... they participate in a lot of survey missions et al which allows them to get out and get their hands dirty. They speculate about some of the more mysterious missions their ship goes on, but they rarely if ever know what is going on (although sometimes when they combine info, we the audience can realize).

Seas. 4 - 5: the officers are transfered to another ship, perhaps provide some tension with one or two on the senior staff. By the end of Seas. 5, they should all be lieutenants.

Seas. 6 - 7: the officers are all on the senior staff of another starship (or perhaps the one from seas 4 - 5). One or two are lt. commanders, the others lieutenants ... perhaps Chief of Security, Chief of Engineering, Chief of Operation, and Chief Science Officer.

Ideas? Thoughts? I don't think the concept would work too well, but ...

How about this?

A small scout ship, with a young commander (maybe a lt. commander?) and three junior officers as his command crew, with a total crew of maybe 50 or so?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we focus too much on the senior staff. Having been a grunt at the beginning and getting promoted through the ranks I noticed how really boring the senior staff has it. I would 'demote' myself just to keep myself busy..... That is after the troops were fed, weapons were checked, vehicles okayed, paperwork sent up from me, gear checked, perimeter defenses properly setup, communications running, and guns laid.

Have you ever tried getting a gun laid??? Not easy!!

------------------
**...****...**

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They always go off half-cocked!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of getting promoted and demoted to keep yourself busy, do you think it would matter if Voyager's senior staff were all lieutenant and above by now?

I'm just thinking of the previous Star Trek series. TOS had everyone a Commander (Chekov, Uhura, McCoy) or Captain (Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Scotty). TNG had everyone Lt. Cmdr. and above. DS9 had everyone get at least one promotion. So I've got to wonder, what would be the problem if Kim gets promoted? He's in a different department (Ops) then Paris (Conn/Helm) and Torres (Engineering). Yes, Torres is below Kim in the command chain, so why not give him that extra pip? Just to make the senior staff look senior to the rest of the crew. Kim has been seen ordering lieutenants around before so why not make him one? Granted, Voyager is a special circumstance but really, what's the harm? I don't see any.

Another reason is if Paris didn't get demoted and one month solitary confinement for that WaterWorld incident, he'd be lieutenant. By the way, is Torres, Lt. or LT. Jr.? Those Maquis rank strips are hard to tell decipher.

------------------
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: A New Hope)

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er ... how is the Operations Manager outrank the CEO?

The only reason Data did was because he was the 2nd officer. Operations is usually just tasking the ship's resources to whomever needs them, arranging for supply ships from Starbase ... stuff like that. And of course, all the stuff Trek makes 'em do ... yes, Engineering and Operations *are* the same department (or at least very closely related), but I don't see how Ops would neccessarily outrank CEO ...

And I don't see how an ensign can outrank a Lieutenant, so ... (maybe its just me ...)

I don't think Bashir ever got a promotion ...

Maybe certain captains are restricted in what promotions they can issue? Maybe Janeway can't contact Starfleet to get approval for promotions, so they're stuck? Who knows?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think promotions are somewhat pointless on Voyager. I mean, no matter what your rank, your duties aren't going to change, and neither is your place in the overall chain of command.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not unless the captain and most of the senior staff gets killed...

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's field-promotions...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Jeff: Bashir got on off-screen promotion from Lieutenant Junior Grade to Lieutenant sometime between 'The Adversary' and 'Way Of The Warrior'.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ahhh ... didn't know that ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes, field promotions.... Nothing like getting those fields promoted.....

------------------
**...****...**

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

Come to think of it, I agree with you. I'm probably thinking of times where Ops outranked the CE. But it does make sense that the Security Chief outranks the CE right?

Kim obviously should be able to outrank any officer in his department as should any other senior officer. Kim ordered a Lt. (or Lt. Jr.?) during the Voyager episode "Twisted." I can't remember who it was, but he seemed like one of those regular extras.

As Gaseous Anomaly said, our favourite genetically enhanced doctor was promoted between "The Adversery" and "The Way of the Warrior," as was Dax if I might add.

I don't see why certain captains would be restricted to what promotions they can issue. Janeway doesn't need Starfleet approval to promote crewmembers. She gave Paris a field commission of LT. (Jr.?) and she also repromoted Tuvok to Lt. Cmdr. Why Tuvok was Lt. Cmdr. for the first dozen or so episodes then Lt. for the next few season is beyond me. Janeway has a wierd way of giving her officers promotions.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I don't think the Security Chief (post) neccessarily would outrank the CEO (post). It just depends on the ranks of the individual officers serving, I 'spose.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

That's what I'm starting to lean toward too.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps