Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The fate of the USS Voyager itself.... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The fate of the USS Voyager itself....
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you misunderstand me. Janeway could promote the entire crew to Grand Admirals or High Commanders In Chief or Executive Cheeses. But that wouldn't change anything in terms of the ship's command structure. Crewman third class Joe is still going to be stuck swabbing out the lenses of the subspace telescope whether he's called Crewman or Fleet Admiral. There isn't anyone else to take the job. There's no up to move into. No extra priviledges to be handed out. Voyager's rank structure is a closed system.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, except when people die...

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That being the sole exception.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Gotcha, Sol.

"Grand High Master Cheese Joe, report to crew lounge for clean up..."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROFLMAO

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kim still deserves a promotion. There have been many situations where he has been giving orders to people with two pips or maquis-slashes on the collar. Perhaps the position of chief of ops doesn't necessarily require Kim to outrank those people, but for some reason Kim still ends up bossing them around. It would be nice for his rank to reflect this.

Timo Saloniemi

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are just trying make him look like a natural born leader, taking control in crisis?

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Torress has pulled rank on Kim before. That stupid episode with the stupid robots who looked stupid, for example (you know. Prototype).

I'm not getting the comparison between Voyager sailing off into a sea of stars, 30 years from home, and "What you Leave Behind". Apart from the sea of stars bit. But you're surely not just saying they're the same thing based on a simple visual, are you?

Actually, we might find out what happens to Voyager, but likely not in great detail. It depends how the episode is structured. If it's "They get home fairly early, but have to save something, somehow", and presuming the ship doesn't get destroyed, it wouldn't be too hard to do a debriefing with:

"So, what's happing to Voyager now. I'm going to miss the old ship?"

And we'd possibly get:

"She's spending a year in spacedock while Starfleet engineers, scientists, and pretty much everyone else go over it with a fine toothed comb."

or

"Decommisioned. Said it won't be efficient enough to repair" (cue jokes involving Seven or Tuvok).

or

"Well, I've got a little surprise for you". (Pull back, they're on a shuttle. They fly towards the Excelsior, swoop over, and there sits Voyager, all spangled up. Possibly with an extra phaser strip, or go faster strips. Stirring music. Everyone boards, the ship flies out of space dock and goes to warp. Followed by a fairly pointless and stupid movie).

Or not.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That's my favorite part of STIV!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, scarily enough, it's entirely possible that we never see Voyager reach home. After all, they need some sort of plot for the movie.

Also, it's BARYON sweep. Which, if it actually occurred would blow apart the vessel at the atomic or molecular level since a baryon is defined as some sort of highly common particle, like a cation or anion. It exists in everything. Bye-bye Voyager.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aah, but maybe the sweep REALIGNS all those poor, sensitive little baryons...
Like little purring tribbles, on the atom-level.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie? THE movie? Don't you mean, "a possible movie that might possibly get made, one day, possibly?"

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe a voy-plot for ST:X belongs in the "Not Bloody Likely"-section.

(NBL?)

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes perfect sense to me. TNG was a great commercial success but the movies have been disappointing at the box office. Maybe a movie based on a series that has had no commercial success whatsoever (and would've gotten the axe partway trough the first season if it was on any other network) will make the big bucks!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

The TNG films have done badly? From what I remember, Generations did better than STVI and FC was the second biggest grossing Trek film behind STIV. Only Insurrection has done badly.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps