Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Can Star Trek Be Saved? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Can Star Trek Be Saved?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case no one's noticed, the new issue of TV Guide with the "Six Feet Under" cover (covers?) has an article on that very topic. They talked to the guy who runs TrekWeb.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krutzler? Boy, that'll be a fun read. [Roll Eyes]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naysayers rejoice!
More articles that read like something Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons would write. [Roll Eyes]
These so called "fans" are what's really wrong with Trek.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timelord
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When this spin-off bites the dust, it will be because of the producers failure to give true Star Trek fans something worthwhile to watch. Being a fan doesn't mean you never criticize mistakes when you see them. I'm a fan of my home baseball team, but when the coaching sucks, I'm gonna complain. I rant as we all do because I want them to be as exciting to watch as I remember they used to be. The same is true for Star Trek.

The real problem is that the producers got to thinking that most "fans" would accept anything they slap a Star Trek title on. They were wrong. The ratings prove it.

Star Trek is definitely worth saving, but it needs to rest and recuperate from the wounds inflicted by its unimaginative producers. Bring it back after a few years with a production team dedicated to making intelligent character-driven drama, avoid the gimicky use of old plots, played-out aliens, and slap-in-your-face errors of continuity, and fans will come back in droves.

IP: Logged
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didnt your rants about Enterprise get your thread closed on you?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for double posts!

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The real problem is that the producers got to thinking that most "fans" would accept anything they slap a Star Trek title on. They were wrong.
And yet Voyager lasted for seven years.

PS -- "Enterprise" doesn't have the "Star Trek" title on it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want to reclaim a franchise, you have to acknowledge that it's in trouble.

If it is, because ratings alone do not a candidate for cancelation make.

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as Enterprise isn't Star Trek Enterprise, like you said, does that mean we can say it isn't Star Trek? Would sure solve quite a few continuity problems [Big Grin]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's going on? Is it 2001 again?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

According to my dad, its still 1977....in which case, anything is possible. [Razz]

--------------------

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
According to my dad, its still 1977....in which case, anything is possible. [Razz]

Oh no! You mean they're going to cancel Star Trek: Phase II? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best and most widely accepted way of saving Star Trek is not to do any more Star Trek series after Enterprise. They can even stop the movies after Nemesis, and wait longer than 2-3 years to put out another movie. Maybe 5 or 6?

B&B need to accept the fact thet they don't know what's good for Star Trek. Maybe it's time for them to actually look for help in that department. From either fans or people who used to work on Star Trek. I know that asking fans might or might not be a good idea. After all you got those who want 40,000 Defiant class ships, with a 5 miles super-ultra-fantastic-super-duper-dreadnought battleship armed with weapons that a single shot willo destroy entire galaxies all at once. Then you got the intelligent ones.

Or they can just wing it.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

My suggestion for the next movie would be a movie in the vein of other greats, such as "Showgirls", called "Dabo Girls: Gone Wild", featuring all of Quarks alien babes from season 1-7!!! [Wink]

[ February 27, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and Series VI will be called Star Trek: Holodeck Fantasies.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps