Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Can Star Trek Be Saved? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Can Star Trek Be Saved?
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System: Hmm, I must admit, both of my memory references were to the coming of age concept, explaining my confusion. You're right, both those novels wouldn't fit the techno-gimmick mold. However I was talking on a more general level and I would still be hard pressed to consider either Dune or Canticle as having a major focus on their characters. Possibly Dune, but I would say that Paul's character development is largely overshadowed .

Well, as you've pointed out they share a similar structure, vague plot similarity, they both use characters in a similar way, they both don't depict much direct conflict, and they both have as a major theme that historical/social forces will eventually override anything that individual people may want. (And yes, I realise that this changes a lot in Foundation, but till the halfway point) That adds up to enough similarity in my eyes to safely say that if someone really didn't like one book, they probably won't like the other.
At the very least, they're more similar to each other than say....well Blade Runner and Dune for lack of a better example.

Campbell-style myth:
You guys might find this useful Re: ATTN JMS: Joseph Campbell and the Hero's Journey

Psyliam:
Popularity != good quality
Heck, even TOS (without which, we wouldn't be here) was in constant threat of being cancelled...and then it was.

You imply an excellent point however, since the original post didn't really make it specific, better questions would be.

*Does* Star Trek need saving?
Assuming it does...
*Should* Star Trek be saved?

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Middy, your comments on the new direction of Enterprise are very insightful. I couldn't agree more. I disagree, however, with your opinion that Takei couldn't successfully lead a series. What specifically in your opinion disqualifies him?

I'm not necessarily disqualifying Takei from being a series lead. I just don't think that Takei or the character of Sulu can bare the brunt of carrying a series, IMHO. While Takei is an ecclectic actor, he doesn't strike me as the leading actor. There are those who are great character actors and there are those that a lead actors, and visa versa.

I may, however, be grossly mistaken. It is all in the writing of such a series, and Takei, if allowed, could prove me wrong. I'd be delighted to see him do just that.

Middy Seafort

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

Psyliam:
Heck, even TOS (without which, we wouldn't be here) was in constant threat of being cancelled...and then it was.

No, popularity does not equal good quality. However, in this day and age, popularity DOES = advertising revenue = budget = continuance of show. Producing Trek on a similar budget to B5 would involve massive scalling back of almost all aspects of production, and require hiring people who used to be in Grease. Do we want that? Really?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

Psyliam:

No, popularity does not equal good quality. However, in this day and age, popularity DOES = advertising revenue = budget = continuance of show. Producing Trek on a similar budget to B5 would involve massive scalling back of almost all aspects of production, and require hiring people who used to be in Grease. Do we want that? Really?
Oh, no.. I can see the next sweeps period. Coming next week on Enterprise, Oliva Newton John guest stars as T'Pol's estranged mother! The horror!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
ala the Ferangi

I'm sorry, but when people do this I see red. Never ever ever say "� la the" again or I will have to hurt you. [Smile]

The proper way to say it would be � la Ferengi. [Smile]

Allah the Ferengi. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do we take off points for misspelling Ferengi too?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't make the Ferengi go all Jihad on you.
...think of the contracts that'd involve!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
do we take off points for misspelling Ferengi too?

Perhaps, because, Lord knows, that I must be the only person here to make a typo or two or three in a post.

[Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He's the one making all teh typos?!?
Get him!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as a newbie, you do make most of the typos and wierd posts around here middy.. don't worry though, the level of whipping you are getting is nowhere near what we used to do to n00bz
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I got it pretty bad and I wasnt...or isnt or currently aint...that bad, I can keep up with the "big boys" [Wink] ...and even I think Middys posts are pretty...superfluous. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

"Weird."
"Superfluous."

Indeed. Well, I will attempt to keep my thought out posts to a minimum length as not to bore the audience. I will also try to contain my sense of humor.

I try with my "superfluous" post to add fuel and fire to the raging debate on topics, such as this and the thread I started about TNG. They were not thought of cavalierly or without reason.

But I am not above any ribbing, or constructive criticism.

Middy Seafort

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

On that note.. I seem to have made a double post. Moderator, could you please delete at your earliest convenience.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope.
capped
Member # 709

posts aren't deleted on Flare.

btw, here's an LOL for ya..
 -

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps