Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG: RIP (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: TNG: RIP
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What some people are forgetting is that we know practically NOTHING about the agreement signed between the Federation and the Dominion at the end of the war, in "What You Leave Behind." Literally ALL we know is that the war was ended, and Odo was going back to the Great Link to try to change the beliefs of his people.

Literally nothing was said about provisions for starships from either side crossing through the wormhole; nothing was said about subsequent diplomatic relations; nothing was said about the condition of the Dominion after the end of the war.

Remember that the core of the Dominion, in the Gamma Quadrant, is completely untouched in physical terms. Aside from the fleets which the Dominion sent through the wormhole, everything else is completely intact. We dont even know if the Jem'hadar fighting in Cardassian space were required to turn their warships over to the Allies and were shipped back in unarmed transports, or if they were allowed to head back to the Gamma Quadrant untouched at the Founder's orders. It's easily possible that all the treaty provided for was an end of hostilities and the posting of a huge "DO NOT ENTER" sign on both sides of the wormhole.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Dominion ships were in the wormhole at the end of "Sacrifice of Angels"? Before they were wiped out, obviously.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Literally nothing was said about provisions for starships from either side crossing through the wormhole; nothing was said about subsequent diplomatic relations; nothing was said about the condition of the Dominion after the end of the war.
Yes, except you seemed to have missed that the discussion was hypothetical -- assuming Starfleet was free to send ships to explore the Gamma Quadrant, what would they send?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
How many Dominion ships were in the wormhole at the end of "Sacrifice of Angels"? Before they were wiped out, obviously.

Someone mentioned it earlier, it was like 2800 or some ungodly number like that...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'd say that the Gamma Quadrant part of the Dominion Fleet hardly escaped untouched. At the very least, a loss of almost 3000 ships is going ot require some fairly major rebuilding.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone post a link to the thread talking about the DS9 relaunch novels. I'm going to bed in a minute, and don't have time to hunt for it.

An informed debate is what's needed here, and with several participants in this furball shooting with an unstrung bow, y'all might want to bone up on the only source material to be had -- namely the twelve sequential novels, starting with "Avatar, Part One of Two" -- that pick up where "What You Leave Behind" ended.

The Defiant has indeed been outfitted with an increased scientific capacity, including a small Stellar Cartography lab, and is performing resumed reconnaisance of the Gamma Quadrant.

One thing everyone seems to have forgotten is that it was over a year after we poked our noses into that part of the galaxy that we even began hearing rumours of the Dominion. Granted, when they made their presence known, they claimed the area around the wormhole, but that's only because we'd attracted their attention and they were rattling their sabres in the manner to which they were accustomed.

If you'd read the books, you'd note that the Defiant follows a pre-approved three-month circuitous route away from Dominion space, into areas where they have no claim, see what's there, say hi, and head back to the wormhole. The Federation will then decide what sorts of missions and ships to send after that, based on their reports.

I don't pretend these books are canon, but they're the closest thing we're likely to see in the next decade.

--Jonah

P.S. based on how good the DS9 relaunch was, I'm seriously looking forward to the Voyager relaunch and the Lost Era books. [Big Grin]

[ April 29, 2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Peregrinus ]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost Era?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That used to refer to the post-TOS, pre-TMP years. But now it's the name for the post-ST6, pre-TNG adventures instead, an anthology of books on captains Sulu, Harriman, Garrett etc.

Perversely enough, I think this era is one of the safest now for a book series to explore. Pre-TOS is a minefield due to ENT now. Post-VOY is a potential timeframe for future movies and spinoffs, especially if ENT backfires. And if the "lesser" TNG actors agree to continue a movie career.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Could someone post a link to the thread talking about the DS9 relaunch novels. I'm going to bed in a minute, and don't have time to hunt for it.

An informed debate is what's needed here, and with several participants in this furball shooting with an unstrung bow, y'all might want to bone up on the only source material to be had -- namely the twelve sequential novels, starting with "Avatar, Part One of Two" -- that pick up where "What You Leave Behind" ended.

Except that would have nothing to do with this discussion, because we don't talk about novels in here...

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we don't talk about novels here in "General Trek", where the smeg do we talk about them? And anyway, you're quite mistaken, as seen here, just to cite one comparatively recent example...

--Jonah

P.S. Am officially annoyed "Unity" has been pushed back to November. What the hell?!

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Designs, Artwork, & Creativity
WARNING: Non-canon zone! Enter at your own risk!

Try smeggin' here... I think it has to do with all of the noncanonicity... and novels, and a variety of joe-blows writing them, and the fact that any additional tv/movie produced information on the same topic quickly nullifies their validity, other than a good read.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see at all how novels could come under "Designs, Artwork and Creativity", which is a forum about things we have come up with and designed. "General Trek" seems much more appropriate. There is absolutely no mention of canon in the title of this forum.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'm going to have to agree with Pheonix here. Sure, if someone tries to prove a point about an episode by talking about a scene in a novel, then we can point fingers and laugh. But if it's a general discussion specifically about them, then here seems fine.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Well then, that line got crossed in this thread...and that was more the point I was trying to make...

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's not really your decision to make, is it?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps