Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some Phase II pics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Some Phase II pics
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, either the pic is mislabled or that really is the secondary hull. If that's going to be a 4ft model, that would make it off-scale, regardless. Imagine, if that were the "deck 2/3 tower" this would put that model somewhere close to the 11ft studio model of the TOS 'E'. Of course, if that's the secondary hull, that would put the model closer to 7ft, which is what the Refit 'E' studio model was, IIRC.

:shrug: I'd say it's mislabeled for the length of the model, regardless.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That captain's chair is something else. Looks like the kind of chair Austin Powers would have in his swinger's bedroom. Hmm... I guess that be perfect for Kirk, though.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard in most places that the refit Enterprise model was 9 feet long.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont have any documentation to back this up, except my own eyes.. The Smithsonian, 1992... i saw both the original Enterprise and the movie Enterprise hanging next to each other and the movie version was definitely a couple feet shorter..

BTW, the first Phase II model wasnt made into the movie E i dont think.. i believe it was left in its half finished state once work stopped.. i think there were far too many structural differences for it to be made the movie model, aside from the fact that the movie model was more elaborately constructed..

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
actually i think thats the deck 2/3 tower.. ive seen pictures of the unused model that were a much larger construct..

No, it's not the deck 2-3 bit. It's the portside half of the secondary hull. You can see the cutout under the hangar deck to the lower right of his hands. I have the original page here and I can see it plainly. As to the size, the Phase II model has been in several places described as being about 4 feet long, and the size secondary hull shown in that pic would fit a model of that scale. It was built by Don Loos of Brick Price Movie Miniatures.

The TMP Enterprise model was built to replace Don Loos' model when the Phase II became TMP. It was built by Magicam, and is about 7 feet long.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damned double-post!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a little confused, cuz ive seen other pics of the unfinished ent phase2 and it seems to be much longer than youre describing.. i think that photo is in error or hes building a different model than the one were thinking of

http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/constitution/index.html#c3 - the model citizen's page, and some pics

http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/constitution/c3side1.jpg
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/constitution/c3side2.jpg
http://employees.csbsju.edu/rsorensen/modelcitizen/trekships/constitution/c3bridge.jpg

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh great... another Constitution variant [Razz]

So now we have first pilot version, second pilot version, production version, model kit version, phase II version, pre-TMP version, TMP version, aaand "Booby Trap" version.

Did I missed any? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the "Neutral Zone" (TNG) kitbash was different from the "Booby Trap" version [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
i'm a little confused, cuz ive seen other pics of the unfinished ent phase2 and it seems to be much longer than youre describing.. i think that photo is in error or hes building a different model than the one were thinking of

I've seen those pix, and you can't make any meaningful determinations of scale from it because there are no objects close to the model.

As to that hull being off-scale for a four footer, that's not true. If ol Don Loos forearm is ye olde average cubit long (about 18 inches), based on that pic that hull would be about 21-24 inches long, which would be consistent with a model of slightly over foot in length.

Pages 70-71 of The Phase II book contains other pictures of the Phase II model and the drydock for it, and to my eye that dock looks about six feet long and about three to four feet wide. This is based upon a human figure in one of the pictures, and the hexagoal lighting units on each side of the dock, two of which were reused in the TMP drydock (on arms). These provide a very clear scale reference for both models and confirm that the Phase II model was smaller than the seven foot TMP one. In fact, the Phase II dock is about five of these lighting units high, and the TMP dock is more than seven, again pointing to the Phase II model being smaller.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

Oh, and then there's the Brick Price 22 incher, which appears have to have built for Phase II and modified for use in TMP (for long shots). I have a video which shows that model pretty well...I'll do some captures from it if I can.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Apparently, the "Neutral Zone" (TNG) kitbash was different from the "Booby Trap" version [Wink]

Pic?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it�s different alright. I posted it on my page a long time ago, actually..

Checkout my Constitution-refit page, ok?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
Member # 709

-
that is a desk behind the model.. those are desk drawers.. this model is a lot bigger than four feet methinks..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really see why. The "table" on which the model rests could be much higher from the floor than the desk on the background, and the model not that much different in size from the one on the far background.

What items rest on the foreground "table", at the right end? An ashtray or pen holder? Two cigarettes, pens, matches?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps