Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Newest 5th series rumour (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Newest 5th series rumour
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you heard this one? 60 years after the end of Voyager, Starfleet is commissioning the first series of transwarp/slipstream ships to explore the rest of the galaxy; including the Delta and Gamma Quadrants. Featuring a Romulan officer, and another alien from TOS as a crew member (rumours are Tellerite, Andorian or a TNG Bolian), the show would be back to the basics of TOS and TNG with the crew exploring new areas of the galaxy, encountering new species and old ones as well, The Voth, Krenim, Borg, Domninion, etc.

It seems by far the best rumour so far.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, the Next Next Generation, all we need to do now is find out whether it's on an Enterprise or not. But, methinks, too good to be true. . .

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does sound good!! Where did you here this one. It sounds far to creative for tptb.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is one problem with this idea... And it's not really a problem (necessarily), but there's zero chance of them seeing consequences for whatever happens in one episode to the next. Even less so than on Voyager.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. A show that's "back to the basics of TOS and TNG" would be bad, since we've already seen TOS and TNG. You'd think they could be more creative.

------------------
Frank's Supernifty Page

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, this would be the likely premise for the next series...

Next Generation: Set up using stuff from TOS (Klingons, Romulans, Starfleet, etc.).
Deep Space Nine: Set up using stuff from TNG (Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi, etc.).
Voyager: Set up using stuff from TNG and DS9 (Maquis, Borg, etc.).

The next logical step would be for the next series to include stuff from Voyager, and the only way to do that is to have ships that use transwarp/slipstream technology (or something equivalent in speed).

And I'm not just saying that in hopes of seeing the Krenim in Series 5... Really I'm not...

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this on www.warp11.com .
I like the concept. I think we've seen enough of the 24th century.

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, the central concept may not be all that new but if the stories are creative and inventive, isn't that good enough? Better than a stagnant Flight Academy/90210 thing or a Utopia Planitia series that'll only give us more SWDAO and no real interesting stories.

This rumour's been floating around TrekWeb and some other places. I think that if we're seeing one ship with new technology and there are others (similar to the Enterprise being one of the first Galaxies in the early years) then there's plenty of chance to see repercussions from their stories. Maybe they can even get rid of that annoying little 'holes in space caused by warp' problem with a line or two about how great slipstream is.

It just seems to me to be back to what Trek is about; exploration, encounters, first contact, and those wonderful space anomalies. Besides, it'll give us all kinds of opportunities for new ships, starbases, etc.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's the problem; the stories have to be connected to the central concept, and we've already had ~250 episodes of that.

------------------
Frank's Supernifty Page

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I've missed something, but this seems identical to rumors that have been floating around for years and years already. Heck, the idea that the next series would feature transwarp is as old as...well, as old as FASA!

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krenim Imperium... *wants more Krenim!*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Ooh! And did that say Voth? Melikes more...

But I still think Frank has a point, despite the fact that I'd love those races to have guest appearances or major roles...

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be an oppertunity to find out what happened to some of the races Voyager has encountered, and keep tabs on the Dominion, and find out what is on the other side of Romulan and Klingon Space.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like this idea.

*IF* they do it right.

------------------
"If you're at a a concert and somebody steps on your foot, let it slide. Its not worth getting 20 years because somebody smuged your puma."-Chris Rock

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds better than most of the old rumours I've heard

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps