Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Newest 5th series rumour (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Newest 5th series rumour
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I would refuse a series in the 29th century (that would be too far ahead to be credible and wouldn't be Star Trek anymore) 60 years is acceptable. Yet, it would be better if it were only 10 or 20 years so some of the characters can be reused.

A series that introduces transwarp so that the whole Galaxy can be explored offers *a lot* of potential, much more than just a TOS/TNG sequel.

What happens to the Borg? They *must* be stopped some time. Maybe the writers find ways to handle this topic with more elegance than the endless fatigue Dominion War on one hand and Janeway's (fatigue as well?) hit-and-run on the other hand.

8472: They are completely different than any other race. They are mysterious, they come without warning. If the Borg are not scaring us anymore...

The Dominion. How will it develop? Will everything be fine in the Gamma Quad?

The Krenim. They do (currently) have a big empire. The Fed's friend or foe? Time travel episodes included (why not).

The Voth. Maybe the most interesting race. Will they come back to claim Earth some day?

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think re-introducing the Voth in the next series is an excellent idea. Imagine -- what Chakotay said about bravery and courage finally making perfect sense, and the Voth, now firm in their belief that home is where the heart is, returns to the Alpha Quadrant to re-populate, if not re-claim, planet Earth. It's a potential storyline worth exploring. Reminds me of the Bajoran / Skreean conflict in the latter's claim to Bajor ... and we know how THAT turned out.

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er. . . how DID it turn out? The Skrreeans got fobbed off with another planet, and their hastily-appointed Moses figure declared in a fit of pique that Bajor WASN'T Kentanna. All it needs is for her to admit she was only kidding, and you've got a lot of pissed-off Skrreeans. I'm amazed they didn't think of that when they were looking for potential Dominion allies. . .

But the Voth could just work, on the other hand. These people KNOW they came from Earth, or they might soon do. . . and imagine the govenrmental machinery that was devoted to denying the Distant Origin theory now being turned to whipping up popular fervour for a return home.

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'd make a hell of a movie!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a good idea. One concern people had about developing slipstream or transwarp is how fast you go. It would be too easy to get to another galaxy quickly. It took Voyager 17 seconds to go 10,000 light years in Timless. If the galaxy is 100,000 light years accross, that would take Voyager 170 seconds to cross the galaxy or just under three minute. So we should keep the fastest that the ships can go to about the same spped as in Hope and Fear. It can be possible to increase the speed, but it would be like TOS where research is still needed to reach speeds like in Timeless. Another thing to prevent the easiness of going to another galaxy is to have the Galactic Barrier go all the way around the galaxy. Does the barrier just go aroung the edge of the galaxy, or does it cover the 'flat surface' of the galaxy?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be contrary, and say that this idea is really having a hard time appealing to me.

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I really don't care what the new series is going to be about as long as the writing is good. Good writing makes most of the difference.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tec's got a good point. I still like the rumour, though. The Voth thing definately has potential, too.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words of wisdom! Same here, If it's well written, I would watch "Flight Academy".

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. It has to be well-written (so as not to become boring) and it has to be recognizable as the brand "Star Trek" (so as to keep the fandom together).
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And given that it's Braga's series, it could have hope. Braga's probably the only Trek writer who could (at one point at least) write younger characters decently.

Not that I actually want it to be Starfleet Academy, though.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who doesn't want to see a Starfleet Academy show?

------------------
All hands, brace for impact!
WHAM!!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you're not.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you as well, Fabrux.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As am I.

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps