Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Territorial limit for star systems? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Territorial limit for star systems?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Trouble with Tribbles", I think it was part of the Organian treaty that the Empire and the Federation could use eachothers shore facilities near the border.

Hmm.. a thought just occured to me.. Could it be that the "Klingon Neutral Zone" is merely the zone in which the Organian supernatural powers work? That would explain the spheroid shape..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in TOS, there was likely no chance to adequately patrol the expanding Federation and mant shady characters and glowy special effects could be encountered within their borders.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Hmm.. a thought just occured to me.. Could it be that the "Klingon Neutral Zone" is merely the zone in which the Organian supernatural powers work? That would explain the spheroid shape..

You know that's the first explanation I've heard for the spheroid shape that actually makes sense.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Uh, wasn't the US/Canada border actually forged in bitter war?
Nope, we did it nice and friendly, with treaties to stabilise the border along a particular line, trading bits of territory on either side of that line. There were tensions between Canada and the US throughout the 19th century and into the early 20th; Canadian troops conducted recon along the US border as late as the 1920s. The only 'proper' was was the War of 1812, when the US invaded Canada in response to the RN seizing deserters off US ships. The US burned Yory (Now part of Toronto) and then got their rear ends kicked out. The war was a minor theatre for us as we were busy fighting what was basically a world war agains France at the time. But in the end good triumphed and peace was signed, after we had burned Washington and the US realised it could never take us on. Also there were trading considerations (we didn't even bother to blockade New York for most of the war). There was also a rather embarassing incident at New Orleans but we don't talk about that (and it happened after the peace treaty).
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Unless K-7 was some kind of Federation built and run but internationally open station located in neutral territory perhaps?"

The Federation has no B5-style bases in operation. It's just not done. B)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and now the damned Canadians cross the border with impunity.... [Wink]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"Unless K-7 was some kind of Federation built and run but internationally open station located in neutral territory perhaps?"

Besides, four out of five of those stations were destroyed before they were even occupied.
That's worse than Vegas odds.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

C'mon, you know you want to see some Federation Star Fury's kick ass.

Straczinsky would argue that DS9 was just the B5 of Trek but I digress. [Wink]

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:

Unless they are married gay people - our crack anti-terror squads catch them before they can do anything to our trains with men on them. CIA knows all about their weapons of mass man-trains.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Uh, wasn't the US/Canada border actually forged in bitter war? A similar straight-line solution was created for Korea, because negotiating the minutiae of a more complex border was doomed to fail.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referring only to the part of the border from the Great Lakes westward. Wraith is right -- and I did know that the US made three separate attempts to invade Canada during the War of 1812, and each of them got screwed up (usually because the accompanying state militias refused to cross the border).

However, the establishment of the rest of the border wasn't quite as cozy as I was thinking, either. I completely forgot that there were questions about the ownership of the Oregon Country, which included today's states of Washington, Oregon, and parts of Idaho, as well as the entire southern half of British Columbia. Anyone remember the old slogan, "54-40 or fight!" from their grade school history? (Referring to the line of latitude, 54� 40", IIRC. Come to think of it, I don't know why *I* remember that silly slogan from grade school....) Anyway, I vaguely recall reading something about the fact that the US might have picked a fight with Britain and Canada over northern territories if they hadn't attacked Mexico first instead. They only settled the dispute with Britain after they were already fighting Mexico over Texas.

(Gee... launching a preemptive invasion of another country on a very flimsy cause... who'd have thought the US was ever capable of such a thing? [Roll Eyes] )
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
In the "Trouble with Tribbles" they just let a D-7 sidle on up next to the K-7 station and no questions were ever raised about them being in Federation space. Unless K-7 was some kind of Federation built and run but internationally open station located in neutral territory perhaps?

As Harry said, yes, it was the Organian Peace Treaty which guaranteed each side the right to use the other's shore leave facilities. However, I got the impression that DSS K-7 was located in interstellar space, not inside a star system. It could still be that the Klingons were prevented from approaching a Federation star system. Consider that with the extreme tensions, both the Feds and the Klingons would've probably filled in every part along the border with monitoring outposts, automated buoys, and marshaling stations to preserve their tactical advantage against the other side's forces, and to give them prime defensive spots or offensive jump-off points.

For example, the Feds might choose one spot to put up a defensive station because it's smack between a large Klingon colony and one of their own planets, while the Klingons would choose another station nearby because it could serve as a launching point for attacks that are within range of two or three Federation colonies, and so on... Ultimately, you'd get a border that looks just as jagged as the one on Nechayev's map in "Journey's End"!

(Oh, and Timo? The straight line in Korea was actually drawn in 1945 when the US and USSR were deciding which zones of Japanese territory to occupy. So it was originally straight, and then got jagged because the Korean War is still going on today. [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 stated (and TOS implied) DS K-7 was basically a rather unimpressive grain storage facility. I guess it could have been just a distribution point for goods to the colonies in that area (Sherman's Planet and initially, Organia itself).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway, I vaguely recall reading something about the fact that the US might have picked a fight with Britain and Canada over northern territories if they hadn't attacked Mexico first instead. They only settled the dispute with Britain after they were already fighting Mexico over Texas.

Yep, that's right. I think the UK/US had joint sovreignty over Oregan territory (extending north to 54 40) until 1848 (I think). There were various tensions, especially from those advocating manifest destiny, but eventually we just cut it in half.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

And so they built K-7 as their last, best hope for peace...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:

Unless they are married gay people - our crack anti-terror squads catch them before they can do anything to our trains with men on them. CIA knows all about their weapons of mass man-trains.
IDIC.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

IDIP.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps