Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Territorial limit for star systems? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Territorial limit for star systems?
Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:

I've got a question. Earth's magnetic field is teardrop shaped because of the effects of solar wind right? So why would the Sun's magnetic field be teardrop shaped? I think they screwed up the graphic and made it teardrop shaped because they knew that's what Earth's MagField looked like but shouldn't the Sun's be roughly spherical since it doesn't experience any such "windblasting"?

Sorry to repost this again but I was curious about it. Does anyone know the answer to this or am I just way off base for the cause of the magnetic field being teardrop shaped?

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ME field is sorta teardrop shaped but on both ends away from the poles.
Narrow point out. of course.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess because of galactic spin, perhaps?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I was doing some research on this and indeed the reasoning behind the teardrop shape of the Sun's Heliosphere is that it trails behind the Sun in the opposite direction of it's travel path through the galaxy.

Earth's magnetic field is a little different, the blasting of the solar wind is more powerful then Earth's velocity so the magnetic field points directly opposite to the side of Earth facing the sun much like a comet's tail.

One interesting thing I learned though is that at the front of the Heliosphere where it interacts with the galactic medium, their is an area of glowing plasma. It used to be only 10 AU's in thickness but now has grown to almost 100 AU's deep. Some have speculated that this increase is responsible for some atmospheric changes not only on Earth but throughout the solar system including the Moon who's once almost non-existent atmosphere is growing gradually (though it's still extremely tenous).

Here's a page discussing the growth of the forward edge of the Sun's Heliosphere, though I believe some of it's doomsday predictions and links to just about every disaster on Earth are a bit farfetched, it is still an interesting read:

http://www.detailshere.com/solaractivity.htm

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
I believe some of it's doomsday predictions and links to just about every disaster on Earth are a bit farfetched, it is still an interesting read:

No shit!
They think the heliosphere was behind the 9/11 attacks.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

Well the Heliosphere is part of the Axis of Evil. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If only we could sell Bush on that:
NASA might get a budget!

We could make something up about aliens living in the sun and....

Naaaa.
Not even hollywood would buy that crap.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

We endeavour to build a nucular powered ve-hicle to get them green blooded bastards from the Sun! Who's comin' with me? Bring some sunblock and near beer. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. President, we have an idea there are aliens on Pluto, we think they have weapons of mass destruction and may have used them on their own creatures. Shall we invade?

Is really all it would take.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, the real driving force behind an intervention there rather than in the much bloodier conflict between the Green and the Red Martians on Sol IV would be Pluto's vast deposits of tiberium, right? B)
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where are we going?"

"Planet 10!"

"When?"

"Real soon!"

[Big Grin]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no, they're not Mars bars, they're *Freedom* bars!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, on a kick are you...

Would the Mars Corporation have to change it's name to Freedom Candies Corporation?

--------------------

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

Damn straight. You know who eats Mars Bars? Hippies and Communists!

While were at it can we change Uranus to Planet Freedom? It's not that the Uranians have done anything wrong it's just that there planets name sucks.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

and whistlewhips....

I heard that on the radio and the talk radio guy, nor much of anyone else knew what it was.... Any clues???

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps