Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek V SE review (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Star Trek V SE review
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kmart's right!
Movie writers should cater their scripts to the statistically insignifigant percentage of the population that are screenwriters themselves, rather than what the bulk of fans would enjoy.
Sure to be a blockbuster that way.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Can anyone confirm this was'nt the return of Mountain Troll?

He might have been a touch over-sensitive there with the end, but surely kmart wasn't even close to how annoying Mountain Man was. And he usuallly put his apostrophes in the proper spot. He knew a lot and was interesting. So I for one am sorry to see him go, and I'm sorry he let you catty bitches get to him. What was everyone's beef with him exactly, again? Defending TFF?

OTOH, and in response to:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...Sure to be a blockbuster that way.

But you see that's assuming you want a blockbuster. Do you know what else was a blockbuster? "Independence Day". Now I'm not saying it wasn't a great movie, but I mean it did have Randy Quaid in it. Know what else? "Batman: Forever". Hell the pants remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was the number one movie in the US last week.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
What was everyone's beef with him exactly, again? Defending TFF?

Good god no, since I spend a lot of time defending it myself. Not so much because I like it, you see, but because I really can't grasp how someone would rather sit through 2 hours of mind numbing boredom in the shape of TMP, instead of 2 hours of entertaining drivel.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why obviously it's because the deck count is accurate in TMP.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I had no idea my "moron"ic jab would drive 'kmart' to the breaking point.

What I find more disturbing, however, is that there is mention in the thread that he is a writer. Given that he is (A) ostensibly a Trek fan and (B) would delete such moments as "the line must be drawn here", Kirk's response to David's death, and basically any other display of human emotion, I think it likely that he would be hired instantly and adored by B&B.

There is a place for any opinion, mind you. And if kmart's appreciation for films is based more on technical matters and a peculiar sense of drama that has sprung from that, then, well, whatever. I can't help but be reminded, though, of a music professor of my acquaintance (indirectly, through various students of his over the years). It is his position, held with dogmatic rigor, that the height of music has nothing to do with emotion or even audience enjoyment. The best music is that which is the most technically advanced, he believes . . . the series of notes and the transformations employed on them are the only things of consequence. We're not talking pop music vs. classical, even . . . old classical is crap to him, albeit historic crap. We're not even talking about the gimmicks of John Cage. I can barely describe what we are referring to, in fact.

I have been played example pieces of music that he finds acceptable . . . they involve dissonant notes, often slowly played, that are approximately as moving as traffic noise. Hell, I once attended a performance of one of his compositions . . . though I've never been tempted to fall asleep at such a thing, and though I was seeing the girl who was playing and thus was inclined to pay attention, I was still moved . . . toward unconsciousness.

It was when I was first exposed to this that I realized the vast discrepancy that can exist between what the common man (or even the less than common man) believes to constitute good ____, and what the overly technical and theoretical ____ elitist's tastes are. Best case scenario, that's the difference between kmart and everyone else.

In reality, though, I figure he's just an idiot.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what claw hammers and scotchguarded clothing are for.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think kmart is an idiot. It's his reaction that was idiotic. I had respect for some of his opinions even if I didn't agree with them. On the other hand, the moment he started lashing out over a relatively puny slight made me lose that respect. And, as a writer myself, I can't support a writer who has to resort to "f u"...that shows a staggering lack of creativity in the discourse of insults. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, see, it was actually a heaping of extra abuse, because he had to talk down to the little people so they might be able to comprehend. And he typed it real slowly, too. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

If only he had spelled phonetically, I might have understood his wisdom.

He sacrificed himself for our sins!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yeah, okay.....

I had no idea that you people had driven another, yes, yet another person away....

What is your tally now???

Speaking of people here, I haven't seen Jeff in a while....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driven away is a big word.. some people disagreed with him, he got upset and ran. Oh well. One more silly person to add to the list.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bX
Member # 419

Hooray for assholes.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but I didn't get to play, that is all I am upset about.....

We do seem to have a fair amount of cutting and running, makes it kind of interesting, or is that just me being easily amused????

No matter....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

We didint even haze him!
No...we welcomed his opinions with open arms, polite responses (well, for us anyway) and he still ran away!

It's like the time when I was six and I thought puppies shed their skin and.....uh....we'll not get into that.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

Everyone go watch "Revenge of the Nerds II (Nerds in Paradise)" again. We've a valuable lesson about acceptance to learn from the lesser Carradine.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps