Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek DVD Projects status report? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek DVD Projects status report?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone give me an up-to-date report on the current achievements on all Star Trek DVDs? Boxes? Seasons?

Have all the movies been converted (I-VI)?
How far are we in TNG? DS9? TOS? VOY?

Also, if all the old movies (I-VI) have been converted, which ones have gotten the "Special Edition"-treatment?
Will the last movies (VII-X) get any treatment?

Last, but not least, which of these things have in your professional and Treknological opinions gotten the best improvements (whether it be extra scenes or just better image quality)?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim,

State side anyway ...

All the movies have been released in DVD format. Star Trek VI is the only classic movie which has not yet been released in a "Special Edition" 2-disc set, but is scheduled for release the end of January. Presumeably, the TNG films will then get the "Special Edition" treatment.

Season Seven of Deep Space Nine hit store shelves on December 2nd. DS9, and TNG, is completely available on DVD. Season One of Voyager hits shelves February, and all seven seasons will be released by the end of '04.

This post brought to you by Amazon.com

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Nice.

And...Snay's opinions? Has he formed any?
bird-of-Praytell?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay's opinions?

The DS9 box-sets are nice, but the cases themselves are kind of flimsy. The menus and screens are also limited, in comparisson to the TNG menus and screens. On the other hand, the quality of DS9 (the series) far exceeds the quality of TNG (the series). In my opinion. The extras on the DS9 DVDs are usually fun, lots of behind the scenes footage, and the actors' affections for each other don't seem forced.

I hate Voyager, so Voyager on DVD is a very BAAAAD thing. I don't love Voyager, maaaan.

The TNG DVDs are super expensive. DS9 I picked up off eBay or Amazon for under $100, and most for under $90 per set. TNG is still going high, including in stores and eBay. Urgh.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 is super expensive at Best Buy, for some reason.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Region 2 DVD sets come in cool plastic boxes, although the DS9 ones are noticably cheaper.

There are also rumours that TOS will be released in boxes starting somewhere around September, although it doesn't seem to be official yet.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't we (region 2 dudes) suppossed to be getting Enterprise on DVD soon? I can't imagine that the tapes are selling as well as the DS9/VOY ones did, due to the proliferation of DVD and VHS season box sets.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Region four is also in cool plastic DS9 esque cases. BUT TNG and DS9 are both uber expensive at AU$200+

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Aren't we (region 2 dudes) suppossed to be getting Enterprise on DVD soon? I can't imagine that the tapes are selling as well as the DS9/VOY ones did, due to the proliferation of DVD and VHS season box sets.

Yes.. IIRC, TrekToday claimed Region 2 would actually get ENT boxes *before* Region 1... Rather strange, since in a lot of European countries, ENT hasn't even aired yet.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Region 2 DVD sets come in cool plastic boxes

Well, the DS9 boxes look way cooler than the crappy and shiny TNG boxes. I hope they keep the DS9 design for the Voyager box sets.

http://home.arcor.de/sisko74205/ds9.jpg

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Yes.. IIRC, TrekToday claimed Region 2 would actually get ENT boxes *before* Region 1... Rather strange, since in a lot of European countries, ENT hasn't even aired yet.

Not really. We are more used to collecting box sets than the US, having been doing it for longer. Buffy and Angel are the obvious examples.

And just because they are releasing season 2 box sets doesn't mean they are going to release them all over Europe.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any word on what will be included? Nememsis is the Star Trek movie I have on DVD. The one I'm looking forward to the most is First Contact SE. My only question about the SE's are they like TMP with new scenes added in?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Nope.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, Star Trek II SE had some footage inserted, but the rest of the films haven't (to this point). I hope they continue and do the TNG films in a SE format, I don't see why they wouldn't.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my two cents:

I have got all seven seasons of both TNG and DS9.
Here in Germany TNG boxes are now quite a bit cheaper than the DS9 ones. I prefer the DS9 cases, as they are not as scratch sensitive as the silver TNG nuisances. Also the digistacks are far better than the flip-open cardboard/plastic holders for the TNG disks - even though I quite like the Enterprise blueprint design.

I also have Star Trek I through V in SE format and will be able to get Star Trek VI SE in February. All the films are in very good quality and the director's edition of TMP makes even that movie quite likeable.
I hope that the TNG movies will also receive the SE treatment.

As far as prizes go, the SE's are quite expensive (RRP of 24,99 Euro)

Oh and about VOY: I will definitely NOT buy any of those as I really loathe that crap. Won't waste my hard earned money on that.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps