Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek DVD Projects status report? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Star Trek DVD Projects status report?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want a longer battle scene between the Borg Cube and the Federation starships in First Contact. I'd pay for that... especially if a variety of starships were shown in the background blowing up or shooting at the Cube...

...the fanboy in me is coming out...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So whack the little prick on his head and force him back in. He'll stop coming eventually. B)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Wow. Please elaborate on this "borg nanoprobe torture" scene.

You know how, in the movie, Soren comments on Geordi's response to his interrogation by saying "his heart just wasn't in it"? That's a reference to the form of torture used in the novelization in which Soren injects Geordi with those things to stop and start his heart. The scene was also filmed but edited out for gruesomeness, or something.

Hey, thanks! [Wink]
I thought it was some kind of flashback thing Picard had when Soren was talking to him in Ten Forward or something.
Soren definitely had an inside track on what Picard was going through: mabye El Aurians are empathic or slightly telepathic or something.
Soren is my favorite Trek badguy.
Cool gun too.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I think that is mainly due to the fact that there really wasn't much in the way of extra footage for III & IV, evidently Nimoy has a much better grasp of structure and running length than most directors.

I dunno if I'd go that far...

Most of the time scenes are cut because in the editing the film starts taking on a life of its own and develops rhythms, and the filmmakers discover that this or that bit isn't necessary to the story or actually break up the flow or momentum. Sometimes they rearrange scenes in editing for more impact (TWOK). Just because Nimoy decided to use virtually every seqeunce shot doesn't mean he has a better grasp of structure, just that his decision was to keep scenes that another director might've decided to cut.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
I have never heard anyone say or seen anyone write "I could care less"!
It's complete and utter nonsense.

Me neither. It must be some US thing. Like how they say "nucular" and do other silly things.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Indeed, and it means all but what they intended (which is another common annoying bass-ackwards phrasing, since most people use "all but" to mean "very, very").

Er, doesn't it mean "almost"? As in "they did everything bar such and such"?

"Voyager all but destroyed the Star Trek franchise", "The Borg all but wiped out the Federation", and so forth.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people (that I've heard) are stupid and say "could care less", but I don't think I've heard anyone use "all but" to mean anything other than "nearly" (like in Liam's examples) or literally "everything except".
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
I have never heard anyone say or seen anyone write "I could care less"!
It's complete and utter nonsense.

I can't stand when Americans say "look it!" ARRRGH!

It is "Look at that".

"Look it!" is reserved for Boo from Monsters Inc. or morons.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how about we assume it's spelled "look 't", and is simply a contraction of "look at [whatever]"?
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I begin to realise what I am NOT missing by just having learned British English in school instead of that concoction the Americans call "English"...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, how about we assume it's spelled "look 't", and is simply a contraction of "look at [whatever]"?

Well, it's not "look 't" - they say 'look it'. PLUS they would add OBJECT to "look 't" if they were just contracting things.

On top of that it's just wrong. What REALLY gets on my goat - and it's REALLY prevalent in scientific papers... the word "commonest" ARGH! It's "most common" - but laziness has allowed "commonest" to creep it's way into the lexicon.

common, more common, most common.

It'd be like saying beautifulest. ARGH!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or like saying "it's" when you should say "its" and "its" when you should say "it's". ARGH!

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want examples of bad American English, try going to the south where I lived. You've probably heard of the sterotypes, but not all sterotypes are false. Not to mention the southern accent, which thankfully I don't have. Then again, I still have living Russian relatives. That was fun when it came to getting a security clearance explaining that I'm 1/4 Russian with family that still lives there. I guess some old military types wish the cold war was still going on.

Going back to Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge's post, a longer battle scene wouldn't be hard to do. Assuming they still have the CGI models. Now say if they reconstructed the Defiant bridge and got the same actors including Worf for more scenes... as much as that would impress me I know it'd be too expensive. Godforbid the NX-01 shows up and Captain Beckett quantum leaps down for a quick cameo.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

Well, that's how it's pronounced over here at this. "Look at Tim's beard" sounds like "Looket Tim's beard", with the first two words run together. But I've never heard "Look it" by itself.

"I could care less" is definitly a US thing though.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard "at" pronounced more like "et" in places other than following "look". And just for the record, around Nashville at least speech at least tends to make sense, though I still hear people say "point in case" on occasion. But then, accents around here aren't nearly as pronounced (or at least as close to the stereotype) as farther south, so YMMV.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps