Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Invisible saucer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Invisible saucer
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ran across a picture from ST2 when the Reliant is firing on the E. I just notice we see the top of the connector neck, but NO SAUCER! Did this make it to film that way? I don't have a copy of the film to check, but is the saucer MISSING in the shot of the phaser hit on the port photon launcher? [Eek!]

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! no..

So as to not waste anyone elses time with this:

It's a [tight] zoom, but it still can be seen -

-

And even more obvious -

-

Next time bring a little more evidence to the table, Big Guy, before you go wetting yourself with excitement over nothing. [Wink]

Or at least do a little 'at home' research first. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the image I was talking about.

-

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks to me like a completely different effects shot, either re-done on a model which didn't have a saucer. . . or it's been cropped for some reason. The one without any saucer might have been a test shot or something.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the movie they closed in far enough that you couldn't tell. They actually built a large wax version of the upper secondary hull from the front of the neck to where the pylon starts, specifically for that shot. There was no saucer, and in fact in some behind the scene photos you can even see that only the upper half of the deflector dish is there with nothing below it. Several magazines, etc have pictures of this, but I do believe they have several pics from this shot on the TWOK:SE DVD.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, while the TWOK missing saucer is bogus, there ARE some funny glitches with the Enterprise in the movies. Notable, if you watch Trek III, when the bridge explodes, notice the superstructure is sitting on a flat surface that isn't remotely shaped like the saucer.

I also seem to recall --albeit I could be mistaken -- that when the Enterprise fires the photorps at the Bird of Prey, the causer seen above doesn't "fit" right on the neck. I suspect the neck is the same one used in TWOK and they matted a saucer in above it.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See below.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Better yet...

-

Here's the closest [cappable] frame to the one in question. It appears the most noticable flaws in this possible recreation(most likely?) is the missing nacelle (which was visible in all shots of 'the hit' up to the zoom) and both the phaser hit and the shot of the picture in itself, are at the wrong angle.

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone asked before why precisely Khan disabled port torpedo launcher? It's not like it was required in any way to disable Enterprise...

(and, incidentally, this scene proves that even with direct hit to photon torpedo launcher the ship won't blow up [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a bunch of genetic supermen who'd been living on a shithole planet for 20 years and have suddenly found themselves in possession of state-of-the-art space weaponry despite never having fought a space engagement before would probably just aim as close to the centre of the target as possible and hope for the best. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he read that there was a torpedo being loaded in there based on the initiative of the officier in charge that Kirk didn't know about?

(grasping at straws)

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Actually I think that was at the point where the two ships nearly collided and they were pulling a 'roll and shoot' maneuver where very little aim or precision was actually involved. Khan just got off a lucky shot. [Wink]

I'm actually more intrigued with the 'type' of phasers the ships were armed with. Not really 'phaser-beams' but more like 'phaser-arrows'.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, Khan targeted the torpedo bay so that in the event he wasn't successful in destroying Enterprise on the first pass, he would have at least severely impaired Enterprise's ability to fight back.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ... is that bottom left image a mirror-flip of the E's approach to Spacedock in Star Trek III? Was the moon always there?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Oh ... is that bottom left image a mirror-flip of the E's approach to Spacedock in Star Trek III? Was the moon always there?

Publicity photo. Doesn't actually appear int he film.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps