Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Invisible saucer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Invisible saucer
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a pic from an unrelated Refit Enterprise topic on StarshipModeler.com but it shows the wax secondary hull mock-up for the damaged scene:

http://home.comcast.net/~thewoozle/enterprise/dorsal3.jpg

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The argument that Kahn was just roughly aiming jibes slightly with Spock pointing to the damage chart and saying:

"They knew exactly where to hit us."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. Khan new the Old connies very well. He also had a few of the Reliant's crew being "coerced" by his pets. They would have known the vulnerabilities of the Enterprise and I'm sure Khan didn't pass on the opportunity to "Know His Enemy" before he engaged him.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The argument that Kahn was just roughly aiming jibes slightly with Spock pointing to the damage chart and saying:

"They knew exactly where to hit us."

Well he did for the initial "one big happy fleet" attack. But the phaser hits in question to the photon tubes were lucky shots in the Nebula. They were pretty much blind afterall.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Well he did for the initial "one big happy fleet" attack. But the phaser hits in question to the photon tubes were lucky shots in the Nebula. They were pretty much blind afterall.

Or maybe they were aiming for the engine room again but shot too high, since they blasted an area just two decks above it.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might have been trying to nail the antimatter tube thingie in the neck powering the impulse engines.

In the initial attack, I'm sure the Reliant's computers had at least MSD style plans of the Connie Refit....after all, the Enterprise sure had tyhe scoop on Reliant.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember too that only one of Reliant's phasers actually struck, you can see the other beam shoot out into the nebula under the saucer. It was a blind-sided lucky strike with one bank.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
Remember too that only one of Reliant's phasers actually struck, you can see the other beam shoot out into the nebula under the saucer. It was a blind-sided lucky strike with one bank.

Thank you [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the other phaser would've hit the nacelle if the VFX department had bothered to include it in the shot!
Those lousy VFX guys were fixing the fight from the start...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Well the other phaser would've hit the nacelle if the VFX department had bothered to include it in the shot!

did they actually hit? i seem to recall some of the hit points in ST3 having some scorring on the nassels...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

opps, double clicking is a crime here, right? [Wink]

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

did they actually hit? i seem to recall some of the hit points in ST3 having some scorring on the nacelles...

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No the shot wouldn't have hit the nacelle. Of the two phaser streams that were incoming, the one from Reliant's port cannon missed wide, fore of the dorsal, and the one from the starboard cannon tracked along the torpedo bay. The only way the shot that missed would have hit the nacelle would have been if said nacelle was almost on a level with the torpedo deck and brought forward under the saucer.

And no, the Enterprise took no external damage to her nacelles.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe to explain the scorings, Spocks modifications to the engine burnt them out?

[Wink]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember arguing about this on alt.startrek.vs.starwars years ago . . . someone was using that publicity shot to support some claim or other, and there was a flamewar when I pointed out that the pic wasn't from the movie and refused to back down from that stance.

Ahh, the good ole days. (twitch)

In any case, the version on film managed to avoid showing the nature of the model. In Star Trek III, however, there is indeed a badly composited shot wherein it's painfully obvious that something went awry, as noted earlier in the thread. Check the widescreen version, and you'll see the torpedo firing shot wherein the connecting dorsal has to be connecting to the saucer somewhere just port and aft of the lower sensor dome.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps