Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Invisible saucer (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Invisible saucer
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek III always annoyed me because suddenly the Enterprise exhibits over twice as much battle damage as it did at the end of TWOK. Does Scotty's multiplication of damage estimates including faking battle damage? Ugh.

Actually the more I think about Trek III the more I hate it...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually this TSFS damage is kinda consistent with damage diagram from TWOK... but yeah, the visible external damage somehow expanded.

Perhaps Kirk met some trouble on his way home?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the hull coating deteriorated, or some nasty stuff from a ruptured conduit reacted with the hull.

I've just watched STIII for the first time in a few years, and it's not as bad as I had remembered it. Except that they should've just forgotten about Saavik. She played a terrible Vulcan.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, why didn't they get Kirstie Alley back again?

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because she was both psycho and wanted too much money.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Because she was both psycho and wanted too much money.

I've heard her agent asked for too much money, but I've never heard her described as "psycho". Given Saavik's crap part in ST3, she was probably better off staying away.

Psycho, now I'd like to know what you base that on.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumors have circulated for years that Kirstie Alley hated her role and that the TOS cast was less than thrilled she was there.
Not that you see any interviews with her on her reasons...it could just be rumor, but who turns down a movie deal that early in a career?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Rumors have circulated for years that Kirstie Alley hated her role and that the TOS cast was less than thrilled she was there.
Not that you see any interviews with her on her reasons...it could just be rumor, but who turns down a movie deal that early in a career?

Maybe. But according to rumor Leonard Nimoy wouldn't do Trek 2 unless they killed his character (he says that's untrue), and that Gene Roddenberry had to fight to have a multi-ethnic cast (when NBC memos of the time encourage it), and on and on. So you'll pardon me for being dubious of such rumors being flung around as fact.

--------------------

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the subject of that pic...

As Guardian 2000 and others said... It's not from the movie.

What it really is... is an animation test. Back then they did things the hard way and had to have 'proofs' of concept as they went from shot to shot. Most likely that was a locked shot. Where they took the still and did the test of how the phaser would move across the PhoTorp housing before tackling a moving (more complex) shot. It's not a 'bogus' image in the sense that someone doctored it. It's real.... just not IN the movie.

Another example of these kinds of tests would be the First Contact teaser where they substituted the Enterprise attacking the Borg Cube with the Voyager model while Ent-E was being built.

Moonraker
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

-

as you can see here, the first shot from the movie is of the whole model. you can see where reliant missed on one side. the second, of the more detailed large torp bay model... this was more than likely a lucky hit, since the ships were trying not to ram each other. the enterprise returned fire and hit the aft bridge section of the reliant.

the one on the bottom... ick, the shot from st3.
case closed.

IP: Logged
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are fantastic screenshots by the way!

How did you get that great quality?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screencaps from the DVD, likely.
Moonraker
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes straight off the dvds.

something else to note here is that the bottom shot has no windows or airlock... theres no detail on that side!

man they were really thinking about that shot.

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Fucked up!

It's kinda big thing to not have the docking port on there.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because it was the same model as the partial build used for the airlock damage from "Khan". That model wasn't intended to be seen from the other side, but they needed the torpedo launch closeup in TRek III. (I'm actually surprised that side had been painted at all!)

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps