Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS on DVD! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: TOS on DVD!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first details of the TOS 1 DVD box have allegedly been revealed.

- I was sort of expecting it, but it's nice to have confirmation that "The Cage" is included in the S1 box.

- Order by air-date. That sucks a bit. Even the BBC managed to air them in production order, with makes a lot more sense. But from a studio POV, 'making sense' is of course not a priority.

- Behind-the-scenes? Could that be an original 60s docu?

- Allegedly, these boxes are R2 only? R1 already has the over-expensive 2-episode sets.

- Box shots, and more. Labeled "Star Trek: The Original Series", and probably just a slight mod of the TNG/VOY box design. But they look like brightly colored blobs.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
[QBOrder by air-date. That sucks a bit. Even the BBC managed to air them in production order, with makes a lot more sense. But from a studio POV, 'making sense' is of course not a priority.[/QB]

You sure? When the BBC started showing TOS back in the 90s, they began with "The Man Trap", and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the third episode shown. Unless they changed at a later point, the BBC went with Air-Date order.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
- Allegedly, these boxes are R2 only? R1 already has the over-expensive 2-episode sets.

Son of a bitch...

What the fuck?

Like hell I'm buying TOS 2 episodes at a time...

[Mad]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
[QBOrder by air-date. That sucks a bit. Even the BBC managed to air them in production order, with makes a lot more sense. But from a studio POV, 'making sense' is of course not a priority.

You sure? When the BBC started showing TOS back in the 90s, they began with "The Man Trap", and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the third episode shown. Unless they changed at a later point, the BBC went with Air-Date order. [/QB]
The 2000-ish reruns of TOS did air in production order. They started with "The Cage", and sadly stranded somewhere halfway season two.

I've thought about it again, though.. Perhaps the original airing order is the most faithful representation of the series, even though it doesn't really work.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been under the impression that airing order was the favored order.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not in my book..

airing order is wildly different from filming order for TOS, the order they were filmed shows a logical progression from the shows infancy to the later episodes, some installments from even a few weeks apart just are thematically out of place from the episodes they'd be placed in between if they were done in airing order (Where No Man Has Gone Before comes to mind).

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Yeah. Especially the start of the series makes little sence in airing order. So much so that it simply can't be the 'real' order of events.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/080504_02.shtml

Big pictures (although the 2&3 boxes are mislabeled). And it seems it *is* coming out in R1.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I've always been under the impression that airing order was the favored order.

What exactly was it that gave you this impression? Even if it weren't for that whole common sense thing, (I mean, come on, airdate order puts "Where No Man Has Gone Before" AFTER "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" [Eek!] !!) all of the official literature (Encyclopedia, Chronology) uses production order.

It's really the only way the progression of events makes sense. (Arguments about stardate order notwithstanding.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And it seems it *is* coming out in R1.
Yay!!!!

If they have a menu anything like the DS9 disks, you can watch them in order easily enough, however they're arranged. At worst you have to change disks more often. After all, those who don't know the proper order probably don't care, either. [Smile]

Marian

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
blah official literature blah

actually, the Chronology uses airing order, which was quite annoying as it got the ball rolling on the whole 'showing them out of order thing' which has become fad.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I can't speak as to the original edition of the Chronology, but the 1996 version uses production order. And so does the Encyclopedia.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, come on, airdate order puts "Where No Man Has Gone Before" AFTER "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" !!

Strictly speaking, airing order would place "The Cage" AFTER everything else. But that's unnecessarily pedantic. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

capped
Member # 709

i have the same edition, i should have been more clear, they decided to use airing order for DS9 and Voyager.. pointed out in the introduction.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Um, I can't speak as to the original edition of the Chronology, but the 1996 version uses production order. And so does the Encyclopedia.

Same deal in the original (1993) edition - production order.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they're obviously going to use airing order for TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Otherwise "Unification part 2" would come before part 1, Family would occur half way through the season, and so on...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps