Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS on DVD! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: TOS on DVD!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What episodes was he a physicist in? Obviously WNMHGB, but wasn't he also a physicist in "The Man Trap", and possibly another episode?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. At least not that I know of.

There are a few other crew shifts: the dissapearance of Yeoman Rand and the introduction of Chekov (who, by TWOK, we must assume already worked on the Enterprise)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Rand's appearences don't have to be consecutive. They never said "I miss Rand since she transfered off the ship". Likewise with Chekov, they never acknoweldged his appearence.

And besides, Sulu dissapears for a good chunk of episodes in a row (in season 2, I believe). There's no great rush though to claim that they occured before the others, is there?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is getting far too petty.

1) "The Cage" - for obvious reasons should be first.

2) The next episode would be "WNMHGB", because of noticable differences in crew positions at the time, including the CMO Mark Piper and Sulu the physicist. After this the crew situation smooths out.

Another observation of continuity would be Spocks rank. He begins as a Lt. Commander but is a full Commander midway through the first season, and thereafter. That is one thing that was screwed up if you went by Air Date. In "The Menagerie" (aired Nov 1966) he is a full commander but in "Court Martial" (aired Feb 1967) his rank is given as a Lt. Commander. So those of Spock as a Lt. Commander would be before him as a Commander.

Additionally, you would have to have episodes, for continuities sake, like "The Menagerie" (1 then 2 - obviously), "Mudd's Women" before "I, Mudd"; "Balance of Terror" before "The Enterpise Incident" (and to some extent "The Deadly Years"); "Tomorrow is Yesterday" before "Assignment: Earth". Production order would also prevail over explaining the confusion of who owned the battle cruiser first in "Elaan of Troyius" and "The Enterprise Incident", which otherwise aired opposite of production.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. The rest is just petty stuff, and the rest of the series could pretty much be shown in whatever order you want.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Spock always wore the rank insignia of a full commander though, even in "Court Martial". So that could be put in the catagory of "dialogue cock-up".

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or "rank insignia cock-up."

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if both the dialogue and insignia were wrong, its possible then he was supposed to be a CPO.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever it is, he should Eat More Salsa, that's for sure.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Or "rank insignia cock-up."

Fair point. It just makes more sense to me for the first officer of one of the best ships in the fleet to be a commander. And it also makes him outrank the second officer.

Is he called a Lt Commander in any of the pre-production material?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, during the hearing in "The Menagerie," his rank is again given explicitly as Lt. Commander.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Wait, Futurama Guy said that he was a full commander there, and a lt commander in "Court Martial". So, which one was it? Or was it both?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

According to these transcripts, he was identified as a Lieutenant Commander in both episodes.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, well...I was just referring to the Chronology for quick reference...

Anyway, I guess the point is is that at some point his rank *seems* to have changed during the run of the series.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HE WORE THE INSIGNIA OF A FULL COMMANDER FOR THE ENTIRE SERIES YET WAS REFERRED TO ONCE OR MORE THAN ONCE AS LIEUTENANT COMMANDER

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

DIE POST DIE!!!

This is getting far too petty.

1) "The Cage" - for obvious reasons should be first.

2) The next episode would be "WNMHGB", because of noticable differences in crew positions at the time, including the CMO Mark Piper and Sulu the physicist. After this the crew situation smooths out.

Additionally, you would have to have episodes, for continuities sake, like "The Menagerie" (1 then 2 - obviously), "Mudd's Women" before "I, Mudd"; "Balance of Terror" before "The Enterpise Incident" (and to some extent "The Deadly Years"); "Tomorrow is Yesterday" before "Assignment: Earth". Production order would also prevail over explaining the confusion of who owned the battle cruiser first in "Elaan of Troyius" and "The Enterprise Incident", which otherwise aired opposite of production.

Thats all there is and there ain't no more.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps