Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS on DVD! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: TOS on DVD!
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salsa tastes good.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gives me heartburn *burp*.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The first details of the TOS 1 DVD box have allegedly been revealed.

- I was sort of expecting it, but it's nice to have confirmation that "The Cage" is included in the S1 box.

- Order by air-date. That sucks a bit. Even the BBC managed to air them in production order, with makes a lot more sense. But from a studio POV, 'making sense' is of course not a priority.

- Behind-the-scenes? Could that be an original 60s docu?

- Allegedly, these boxes are R2 only? R1 already has the over-expensive 2-episode sets.

- Box shots, and more. Labeled "Star Trek: The Original Series", and probably just a slight mod of the TNG/VOY box design. But they look like brightly colored blobs.

Well, for those of you too lazy to look, yet interested enough to somehow care, it would seem that the Region 1 Season 1 release of TOS will not include "The Cage". All episodes will be presented in the order which they were aired versus production order. Evidently, "The Cage" will be on the Season 3 set...which strangely makes sense.

The release dates of TOS season sets (region 1) are:
- Season 1 on 8/31
- Season 2 on 11/2
- Season 3 on 12/7
- The Complete Series on 12/7

That is all.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a loyal obedient customer and bought the set today (hooray for an earlier release date than the US! [Razz] ).

Despite the fact that the box can only just stand up on it's own (it's very precarously balanced), everything is Good. I've just seen Balance of Terror, and it still is the best Trek space battle.

Now excuse me while I catch up with TOS.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All episodes will be presented in the order which they were aired
That's outrageous. We're supposed to pay 95 Euros, yet they dare to use the illogical airing order.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Suppose they just want us experience it as they did 40 years ago when it first aired...nevertheless, at least we wont be stupid enough to buy it as 40-double discs.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least the double discs are in chronological order, aren't they?

quote:
Suppose they just want us experience it as they did 40 years ago when it first aired
But I don't want to. I want to watch it in a logical order without having to constantly switch disks. What bugs me most is that this is so typical for all Paramount Star Trek DVD releases (at least Region 2). They charge a high price but deliver an inferior product.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 2-ep discs are in production order.

The box is in airing order. I actually don't have a problem with it. Because, after all, *this* is the original series as it was on television in the 60s.

How was/is TOS aired in syndication? I know the BBC aired them in production order, even starting out with "The Cage", around 1999 or so. But Paramount still seems to adhere quite strictly to the airing order. So did some Trekkie BBC employee put them in the right order?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...are these DVD versions cleaned up digitally or just transfered onto the new format?

If it's the same quality I can see any day on Sci-Fi channel, I'll pass.

....but if I could just get nicely restored versions of Arena, Doomsday Machine and Balance of Terror, I'd be pretty happy.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

These episodes are digitally remastered. Very similar to the 2-episode DVDs, but not the same. See Trek5.com for screenshots.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two questions:

1/ Why are people so outraged that the episodes are in airing order? Didn't we work out just recently that air-date order as oppossed to production order affects roughly one episode? Ever?

2/ I don't know why everyone seems to think that the BBC aired them in production order, but all the repeats I remember had WNMHGB as the third episode. So, production order.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Didn't we work out just recently that air-date order as oppossed to production order affects roughly one episode?
Because it's the pilot episode with different uniforms and other significant differences. And as Harry mentioned they've already released TOS in production order, so I really don't understand why they decided to go back to the airing order.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
2/ I don't know why everyone seems to think that the BBC aired them in production order, but all the repeats I remember had WNMHGB as the third episode. So, production order.

I have VHS tapes as proof. Somewhere 1999-ish, the BBC showed reruns of TOS on Sunday-mornings. Sadly, it apparently had such a low priority that it was frequently replaced by sports and other nonsense. It even dissapeared completely somewhere halfway through season 2. But it was very definitely shown in production order.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, okay. The repeats done in the mid-90s (when they first showed "The Cage" on UK TV) were definitely air-date order though, as it was the first time I'd ever seen TOS.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Because it's the pilot episode with different uniforms and other significant differences.

Okay, that makes sense. But apart from the pilot occuring as the third episode, is there any difference? At all? Is one single episode really worth being so outraged? Is it really enough to call it an "inferior product"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

No, No, No, I wouldn't think so.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps