Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TOS on DVD! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: TOS on DVD!
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And where's the problem anyway? You've got the first four episodes on one disc and can therefor choose your own preferred viewing order, can't you?
So stop bitching and enjoy the great technical quality of the eps!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The case is so corny [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in defense of the box set, while the episodes are in airing order, they are numbered by production order, so you can watch them that way if you so desire, albeit it means more disc swapping.

I was disappointed by the extras...or the lack of them. Where are the old network promos? The piece with Shatner...who cares about his damned horses!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember a few years ago they aired TOS in the States with Shatner, Koenig, Doohan, Nimoy and Takei doing intros to each episode - talking about something they remember about each episode. Plus they put back in edited footage etc. Do they include these on the DVDs? If they don't - that really sucks... Might make me second guess buying them.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, when the Sci Fi Channel got the exclusive airing rights to TOS and they aired each episode in their original NBC order. After commercial breaks they'd cut to cast and crew involved with that episode stretching it out to an hour and a half. I assumed each episode on DVD would include these since Sci Fi doesn't play them with the episodes anymore.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no intros by the cast on the RC2 edition of the DVDs, yet they at least managed to re-insert all the footage that had been cut by either the BBC or the ZDF in the 70s and 80s.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sci-Fi Channel BUTCHERS TOS when they air it, which is like some shit hour like 3am, but they cut out a tremendous amount from each episode...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wouldn't surprise me. Also commercial breaks are to blame. In the 60s they were a lot shorter than today. So with longer commercial breaks they have to cut the show to still fit in an hour.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping in mind that TV is commercials with something else shown in between (the "programming" is basically to keep people "hooked" between commercials), we can expect to eventually reach a point where there's 45 minutes of commercials with only 15 of anything else... (or worse)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, Star Trek is on the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. every day at noon. Or at least I seem to hear it in the other room when I am asleep at that hour. (When my father is home with the TV on. To that channel.)

Re: Supercommercial Future: I find this highly unlikely. There comes a point of diminishing returns. The idea is to get as much money as possible for time watched by as many people as possible, and these factors must balance. More likely, I think, is that commercials as we know them will simply disappear, replaced by some other revenue format. We already see companies making such attempts. Consider the wide success of the Tivo. (Suggesting a future in which you never see a commericial as we know them again, but instead every so often you get to see a brief spot directed at you personally, written by people who, thanks to data mining, know more about you than you do, probably.)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Uh, Star Trek is on the Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. every day at noon. Or at least I seem to hear it in the other room when I am asleep at that hour. (When my father is home with the TV on. To that channel.)

Thats entirely possible. I dont have cable anymore so I couldnt really say, however recently whenever I have been to my dads and want to catch its always listed at 3am on fridays or tuesdays or something.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess one could always just look it up.

According to their website, the schedule is highly variable. For instance, today, it isn't on at all. Tomorrow, "The Enterprise Incident" at 3:00 AM. But next Wednesday it's Star Trek from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:

I was disappointed by the extras...or the lack of them. Where are the old network promos? The piece with Shatner...who cares about his damned horses!

However, they do have the original episode promos, which cannot be said about the other series. Hell, it was the promo for "The Jem'Hadar" which pretty much focus on the last 10 minutes of the episode that first got me into DS9 - the promo dammit!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(If a person really wanted DS9 and TNG promos, he or she could try tracking down the CD versions of the concordances for those shows, which, I believe, included them.)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F.G.:
Sci-Fi Channel BUTCHERS TOS when they air it, which is like some shit hour like 3am, but they cut out a tremendous amount from each episode...

They must cut out the good parts....most of the episodes they show involve Mudd, Spock losing his sight/emotional control/brain or mythological/historical figures coming to life to re-use props from Desilu's other shows.

Give me Balance of Terror, The Doomsday Machine, Arena and The Cage on one DVD and I'll skip the rest....gladly. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps