Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Movie Timeline (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Movie Timeline
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
TWOK probably takes place in 2283, because IIRC the intention of the production staff was to have that be Kirk's 50th birthday at the beginning. Furthermore, that matches better with the continuous "15 years" references to how long after the original "Space Seed" the film occurred.
-MMoM [Big Grin]

I got ST2 figured around mid-2281 (give or take a few months...so late 2280 up to early 2282, likely the latter).Reference:
KIRK
He wants to kill me for passing sentence on him 14 years ago -- and he doesn't care who stands between him and his vengeance.

This seems more specific than '15 years'. "Space Seed" was mid2267 (+14 = mid2281). Give or take a few months in the it could very easily be earily 2282, this varies from the Chronology which doesn't seem to indicate what it uses for the 2285 reference.

Also...

Generations (24th C.) takes place 78 years after Kirk is lost. Picards log states: "stardate 48650.1." or mid-2371. Doing the math, that makes the Enterprise-B launch in mid-2293-ish.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can't be 2281 because IIRC, McCoy's Romulan Ale had 2283.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct. 2283 is the earliest the film could occur based solely on internal references.

Futurama Guy, that line (from the script, the sickbay scene with Kirk, Scotty, and McCoy after Preston's death) was changed to "15 years" in the film. (That scene is in the Director's Edition/ABC edit.)

However, I've realized that there's a snag in having it 2283 when you take into account references from Generations. See below.

PsyLiam:
The Voyager I and Voyager II probes were launched in 1977, meaning that unless TMP takes place later than 2277---which it can't, being that it is set 2.5 years after the end of the 5 year mission---Decker's "more than 300 years" is incorrect. He must have meant to say "nearly 300 years ago."

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Correct. 2283 is the earliest the film could occur based solely on internal references.

Futurama Guy, that line (from the script, the sickbay scene with Kirk, Scotty, and McCoy after Preston's death) was changed to "15 years" in the film. (That scene is in the Director's Edition/ABC edit.)

Still the same...15 + 2267 does not equal 2283...

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but "15 years" is a round term that one might use to describe a period of time that wasn't exactly that long. (In this case, longer.) "14 years" is more specific, and thus more problematic given that TWOK can't have taken place earlier than 2284 if you take into account references from Generations.

I think what we actually have in the case of the "15 years" line is a situation much the same as Admiral Morrow's line concerning the Enterprise being "20 years old" in TSFS. The writers simply confused real time with Trek time.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Still the same...15 + 2267 does not equal 2283..."

So, who says "Space Seed" wasn't in 2268?

"...TWOK can't have taken place earlier than 2284 if you take into account references from Generations."

Like what, exactly? I'm not saying they aren't there, just that I don't recall the exact lines.

"The Voyager I and Voyager II probes were launched in 1977..."

Sure, in the real world. Where Voyagers III-VI never existed. And there were no orbital weapons platforms in the 1960s. And there were no Eugenics Wars in the 1990s. And so on.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Ok, here we go on another chronological spin a la this one. Once again, please be prepared for some rehashing:

BASIC ASSUMPTIONS
  • Kirk's 5-year mission ran from 2265 to 2270.
    Icheb mentioned in "Q2" (VGR) that the mission ended in 2270.
  • The 24th century sequences of Star Trek Generations occur in 2371.
    Seven years after TNG's first season, stated in "Conspiracy" (TNG) to have taken place in 2364.
  • More specific dates take precedence over less specific ones.
    You'll see how this comes into play.

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    18 months (2.5 years) after the end of the 5-year mission.
2273-2278
  • The Okudas conjecture that Kirk commanded a second 5-year mission following TMP, based on the fact that the film was originally to serve as a pilot for the Star Trek: Phase II television series. There is no canonical reference which confirms or refutes this, but if it did occur then Kirk's retirement would most likely follow it.
2278-2282
  • At some point within this range, Kirk retires from Starfleet.
  • Kirk meets Antonia near his uncle's farm in Idaho on Earth. The two will fall in love.
    Eleven years prior to the launch of the Enterprise-B (2293) as stated in GEN.
  • A bottle of Romulan Ale, which Dr. Leonard McCoy will eventually give to Kirk for his birthday, is vinted.
    Vintage was read off the bottle in TWOK.
  • Kirk returns to Starfleet, joining the staff at the Academy.
    Nine years prior to the launch of the Enterprise-B (2293) as stated in GEN. We know he became Academy staff from TWOK. As you can see, we're already past either of the two "alternative" dates for TWOK. Looks like the GEN writers were looking at their copy of the Chronology when they dropped in Kirk's references. More's the pity, considering that the date the Okudas had for TWOK wasn't supported by anything prior to said references.
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    This is the "official" date, but it admittedly *could* have taken place near the end of 2284, although that makes the spacing of the dates for the next three films even more unlikely. 2285 allows time for Kirk to become established Academy faculty, etc., anyway. But it does stretch all the "15 year" references to actually mean 18 years, if we accept that "Space Seed" (TOS) occurred in 2267, which we should, since it was in the second half of TOS's first season. Perhaps Kirk thinks of the 5-year mission not in terms of the individual years it comprised, but simply as one block of time which ended 15 years earlier, in 2270.
  • Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    We don't know exactly how much time passed between these two films, but it was enough time for Saavik and David to transfer to the
    Grissom and for most of the battle damage sustained in TWOK to be repaired. As mentioned by another poster, the second digit of the stardate changed between films, but the same change occurs with each successive film, so unless you want to say there is a full year between III and IV, and similarly between IV and V, I don't recommend placing much significance on this. Besides, the stardates aren't consistent between films. (Witness Carol Marcus' Genesis report having been made a year before TWOK but with a stardate lower than that of TMP or the Enterprise flight recorder giving a stardate for Spock's death lower than the one stated at the beginning of TWOK.) Face it people, stardates do not make sense.
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    Again, the official date, supported by Gillian's statement that she had "300 years of catch-up learning to do" following their return from 1986. Needless to say, that's not a particularly specific figure, but 2286 works if TWOK and TSFS were both in 2285, since the most specific placement we can give TVH is three months after TSFS, as stated by Kirk's opening log.
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    Of any of the "official" dates, this one is probably the most arguable. Some have argued that it actually takes place only three weeks after TVH, given Kirk's line to Scotty when they come aboard that he had given Scotty that amount of time to get the ship fixed up. But we don�t know how long it took the ship�s flaws to present themselves after they flew off at the end of TVH, anymore than we know where exactly they were flying off to.
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    27 years after McCoy became ship�s surgeon aboard the original NCC-1701, in 2266. Whether by coincidence or design, this also fits nicely with Geordi having said in "Reunion" (TNG) that the Klingons and Romulans had become enemies circa 2292, explaining the willingness of the Romulan government to destabilize the Klingon government in the film.
  • Star Trek Generations (23rd century events)
    78 years prior to the 24th century events of the film.

Yeah, sorry I took so long with that. Been a busy day.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ 18 months is only a year and a half by the way, not two and a half years. [Wink]

18 months was the period of time Scotty had been refitting the Enterprise while 2 & 1/2 years was the length of time that Kirk had "not logged a single star hour".

The first five year mission was from 2264-2269. If they returned home in 2269, Kirk was promoted to Admiral, the Enterprise sat in drydock for a year (or was an Academy training vessel or was under the command of someone else, etc.) before they started working on it in 2270, and TMP took place in 2271 then all the quotes from the movie would make sense, no offense to Icheb's research skills.

Stardates are hardly reliable but there is one overheard in TMP.

One of the barely-audible messages at the Epsilon 9 station mentions a rendezvous between two Federation ships to take place on stardate 7411.4. If you listen carefully it is also possible to make out the ships' names and registry numbers -- scout Columbia NCC-621 and scout Revere NCC-595.

Now it could be a rendezvous scheduled for much later I suppose but I think that gives a pretty good ballpark figure for TMP's date. That stardate corresponds with late 2271.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bond, James Bond:
The first five year mission was from 2264-2269.

Okay, if you're going to have arguments, you have to back them up with something. You can't just say "this occured here, because I said so."

The chronology gives the dates you use. Those dates were great. Everyone was happy with them. Then Voyager had Borg-boy state that the 5 year mission ended in 2270. CONFLICT OCCURS!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason i thought we could keep the 2264 as beginning date, eliminating the Chronology conflicts with the VGR date.

Of course, I am branded a lughing madman when I bring up advanced concepts such as the fact that the mission could have begun in November 2264 and ended in January 2270, and lasted 5 years and two months, because of travel time and scheduling.

It's not like there was a big clock hanging over them saying 4Y 364D 11:59 and then once it switched over to 5Y they stopped whatever they were doing and warped directly home.

And if any work had been done on the ship between Pike and Kirk, there's a chance the at least some of the time Kirk commanded the ship was part fitting and shakedown cruise, which would realistically take weeks or months to properly test and outfit a system overhaul (this time period might not have been included in their five-year itinerary), even though most of Star Trek skips that if there's an emergency, because hay the ship's'll work well enough anyway lol am i rite guyz.

They could've even 'taken the long way' home (a very Kirk-like maneuver) and stopped at a number of Federation planets as a publicity deal (since most of fandom equates the end of Kirk's FYM and promotion to Admiral to his rise to celebrity in the Federation)...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
^^^ 18 months is only a year and a half by the way, not two and a half years. [Wink]

18 months was the period of time Scotty had been refitting the Enterprise while 2 & 1/2 years was the length of time that Kirk had "not logged a single star hour".

Yes, that is correct. A small oversight on my part above. The 5-year mission had ended 2.5 years earlier, and the refit had begun 18 months earlier.

quote:
The first five year mission was from 2264-2269.
Are you perchance one of those people who continues to argue that first contact with the Klingons occurred in 2218? Or that Zephram Cochrane's warp flight took place in 2061? Those dates, like many in the Chronology, were conjectural and subject to modification based on what came to be revealed on screen.

quote:
If they returned home in 2269, Kirk was promoted to Admiral, the Enterprise sat in drydock for a year (or was an Academy training vessel or was under the command of someone else, etc.) before they started working on it in 2270, and TMP took place in 2271 then all the quotes from the movie would make sense, no offense to Icheb's research skills.
I'm not sure I follow you. How would any quotes in the movie make less sense (except Decker's "more than 300 years ago" line, which really doesn't make sense no matter what) if everything you just said was shifted forward by one year?

quote:

One of the barely-audible messages at the Epsilon 9 station mentions a rendezvous between two Federation ships to take place on stardate 7411.4. If you listen carefully it is also possible to make out the ships' names and registry numbers -- scout Columbia NCC-621 and scout Revere NCC-595.

Now it could be a rendezvous scheduled for much later I suppose but I think that gives a pretty good ballpark figure for TMP's date. That stardate corresponds with late 2271.

Oh it does, does it? And pray tell how you arrived at that conclusion? I'm sure it was a perfectly logical process, considering that Carol Marcus' Genesis report was star-dated 7130.4. I'm sure your same logical system will explain how that date "corresponds" to 2284.

-MMoM [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

That is because Dr. Marcus really recorded that report in 2268...quite simple, actually. [Smile]

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yes, but what about the stardates in Kirk's Captain's log? He gives 7412.6 at 1,8 hours from lauch, 7413.4 when Spock helps fix the warp drive, and 7414.1 when Decker and the Ilia probe are in the Rec Deck.

And the title on the San Francisco scene of the DE says

STARFLEET HEADQUARTERS
STARDATE 7410.2

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Yeah, so that would be like five days then... [Smile]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MirrorCaptainMike:
Of course, I am branded a lughing madman when I bring up advanced concepts such as the fact that the mission could have begun in November 2264 and ended in January 2270, and lasted 5 years and two months, because of travel time and scheduling.

Actually, I'm in complete argreement. There does seem to be a tendency in fandom to assume "year" means "started January 1st, finished December 31st".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps