Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What should the next series concept be? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: What should the next series concept be?
Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Hornbloweresc type series would rock! But also there had been some talk about doing a anthology series, more like a miniseries where each episode would focus on a different race each week but without having a main character. It would be interesting to if the cast was the same for the whole run and how each of these actors would interpret Klingons, Romualns, Humans, Dominions, etc, etc, etc.

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

JimNX01
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a Star Trek series based on an Intellegence service would be interesting. A small band of Starfleet "CIA" infiltrating say the Romulans.

Just my 2 bars of gold pressed latinum.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best would be a series focusing on resurrecting months-old threads to rehash endlessly debated ideas that will affect nothing.
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, the harsh and insulting treatment of new members on these forums is starting to get old. Like it or not, Flare has been dying after the end of DS9, VOY, and the last of the TNG movies. If you're so annoyed by the resurrections of old threads, why don't you lock them after a certain amount of dormant time instead of snapping at these people like an immature teenager eager to announce that he's one of the "in crowd" around here?

Supposedly Flare is more civil than other forums, but it's becoming more obvious that it's probably just more conceited.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locking old threads is an idea. But the time limit would have to be rather long, say 2-3 months? I know this is practiced over at the SCN, but they lock threads that are only a month old-ish.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why lock old threads at all?
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all trekked out. Send you're concepts in ten years or so.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Supposedly Flare is more civil than other forums, but it's becoming more obvious that it's probably just more conceited."

Actually, we're both, but it's kind of you to notice.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Flare has been dying after the end of DS9, VOY, and the last of the TNG movies."

And this little statistic of yours is based on what, the number of new topics started per month? Since, by your logic, every other Trek-related board out there should be dying as well, I do hope you have some incontrovertible evidence to support your claim, and that said evidence accounts for minor details like the size of Flare's active membership and the oh-so tiny fact that most of those members don't actually come here for Trek at all. Nevertheless, I eagerly await your findings, sir.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I got a similar impression. When DS9 and VOY were still in production there was much more going on at Flare.

Nowadays I come here say once in a week and almost nothing has happened. In former times I would check several times daily, and a lot of threads had new answers.

Perhaps finally, all has been said, asked and answered about Trek... [Wink]

Anyway, moving on...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The argument could be that there was simply more to talk about. Two series and quite often a movie, compared to just the one.

I do dislike the whole "we've spoken about this before so we won't speak or it again" attitude, but I can see where it's coming from. Especially in "what should the next series be"? Someone ALWAYS suggests a Section-31 or similar show. Someone ALWAYS suggests an anthology show. Someone ALWAYS suggests a show based on an alien ship (never mind that commercially that idea would be suicide).

I wonder how many people back in season 3 of TNG said to themselves "what they should do for a spin-off is set it on a Starbase above a planet that could be a parallel for, like Bosnia or something. And there would be a wormhole nearby! With uber-aliens in! And there would be all this religious stuff"?

I'm just not convinced that a good Trek TV show can be made with a soundbite description. "It's Trek, but in the future!" "It's Trek, but in the past!" "It's Trek, but like, really far away!"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
I do hope you have some incontrovertible evidence to support your claim, and that said evidence accounts for minor details like the size of Flare's active membership and the oh-so tiny fact that most of those members don't actually come here for Trek at all. Nevertheless, I eagerly await your findings, sir.

If your memory really is so faulty, I'm sure you can ask Charles for statistics.

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I do dislike the whole "we've spoken about this before so we won't speak or it again" attitude, but I can see where it's coming from. Especially in "what should the next series be"? Someone ALWAYS suggests a Section-31 or similar show. Someone ALWAYS suggests an anthology show. Someone ALWAYS...

And someone ALWAYS acts like a prick and posts some snippy comment as if he's the uber-geek or some other nonsense. Wow, like we didn't see that coming.

That kind of behavior is annoying in real life, and it's just as annoying to see it here (and even more annoying than bringing up old threads).

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've been on the internet for too long. They should leave it alone for 5 years, and then start again with a new information superthingie.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that locking a thread after a month has gone by without any activity is prudent. If someone has something new to add they can start another thread--- if it's important then it will be enough to justify a new post.. if it's not important enough for a new post, then people will be less likely to post it and we'll be happy again.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're snobs. You don't like it, fuck off. That should probably be in the FAQ. That said, I don't especially think any of us believe ourselves to be better Trekkies than any of the newbies who turn up, it's just that we like a more sophisticated level of debate. If you just want to register as grnad ADMIRAL Picard XIV and post things like "I LIKE TEH TNG aND TEH Ds9 = ROXXOR!! But I DNO'T LIEK VOYAGER!!!? And please visit my website which has lots of Quark/Neelix slash fanfic" then maybe you'd be better off somewhere else. Like TrekWeb.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps