Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What should the next series concept be? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: What should the next series concept be?
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh, a new series with Ira Steven Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ron D. Moore, Judith and Garfield Reeve-stevens and Many Cotto as writers/producers! That would rock! [Big Grin]

Yes. My only complaint with the Reeve-Stevens is the same complaint I have with this season of ENT. A little bit of homage/explaining goes a long way, kinda like seasoning or spices. What I hated about their book "Federation" was that they attempted to explain and tie in TOO MUCH in one story/too short a period of time.

And some things don't need explaining. I mean, it 's a simple delta/triangle emblem, for crying out loud. There's no need to give it any major signifigance like a flow-chart for warp drive. Sheesh.

I'm not saying appeal to the lowest common denominator. I'm saying develop major and minor story arcs to support a series long theme. You can hate Galactica for all I care, but the fact remains that is what they are doing (and Galactica TOS did not). You'll note I also included X-files (a minor example) and B-5 (practically all of seasons 2-4).

Some people can't let their hate alone once in a while...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If theres anything Trek does [b]not[/i] need to do, it's copy Battlestar Galactica.

"They already tried the 'lowest common denominator' approach (T'Pol rubbing down with goo each week) and the response was extremely negative."

I'm confused by this apparent connection between "Battlestar Galactica" and "lowest common denominator" television. If you had said it about, say, post-Wolfean "Andromeda", it would make sense. But, much as you may not like BG for whatever reason, the idea that it was made to appeal to a "lowest common denominator" is obvious bullshit.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No time to read through all of the proposed shows, but maybe one of these will do. The second one has promiss.

Proposals

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek: Space Lesbians? Why not Star Trek: Prometheus?

Prologue:
A Starfleet admiral is being transported to Earth after suffering a shuttlecraft accident that reverts him to his 20's while retaining his memories. He figures it's best to retire now while he has his youth again and enjoy life outside of Starfleet ship building. En route to Earth, the USS Liberator makes a detour to Wolf 359 to battle the Borg in order to stall time for Starfleet and the Enterprise-D. With the assembled Starfleet armada engaging the Borg and ships falling to the wayside, the admiral ends up having to take command when the Liberator's captain dies. In the ensuing battle, the admiral makes a difficult choice of retreating and abandoning ship. The Liberator is destroyed and a majority of the crew is saved... and the admiral looks out of the shuttle wondering maybe retiring isn't a good idea right now...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in other words, a cross between the beginning of Emissary and the gimmick in Too Short a Season?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"If theres anything Trek does [b]not[/i] need to do, it's copy Battlestar Galactica.

"They already tried the 'lowest common denominator' approach (T'Pol rubbing down with goo each week) and the response was extremely negative."

I'm confused by this apparent connection between "Battlestar Galactica" and "lowest common denominator" television. If you had said it about, say, post-Wolfean "Andromeda", it would make sense. But, much as you may not like BG for whatever reason, the idea that it was made to appeal to a "lowest common denominator" is obvious bullshit.

Glowing spines during sex scenes, the goofy breast cancer subplot, an alien culture using exact current military terms, the un-needed baby-killing scene....that's what I consider "low".
I'm only speaking of the miniseries here as I still cant record the BSG series (I work when it's on).

If Enterprise started out with any of that nonsense, there would have been some real fan-backlash. [Wink]

Mabye I'll find the series fantastic (it's possible).

NOt that I wanted to derail this thread into a debate over BSG.

Y'know...the new DS9 books follow a nice format.
The current stories involve characters on their respective homeworlds in seperate stories that sorta intertwine because the starring characters all (eventually) interact with each other on DS9.

It's not too far off from the "anthology" idea.

Mike, that idea really reeks.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Glowing spines during sex scenes..."

Actually, I missed that part; I only heard about it the other day. But, really, glowing spines appeal to dumb people? The sex scene in general, sure. But luminous body parts... probably not so much.

"...the goofy breast cancer subplot..."

"Goofy"?

"...an alien culture using exact current military terms..."

If you're going to complain about that, aren't you pretty much required to complain about the fact that they're speaking English in the first place?

"...the un-needed baby-killing scene..."

Actually, I must have missed that, too.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: Did you watch the original broadcast or the recent rebroadcast on NBC (maybe)? I think a few things got cut out in that one.

Jason: "un-needed baby killing scene"

Yeah, I don't get that. Nuking billions of people from orbit == ok? Killing one baby in an experiment, now thats an outrage?

The glowing spines thing was odd, but I just chalked it up to the general TPTB interference that writers and producers have to put up with. As with the childish elements in Andromeda, Seven in Voyager, or Keffler in B5 ... it all depends on how you handle it. Andromeda and Voyager completely dropped the ball, B5 dodged the bullet by completely destroying Keffler, and I think BSG is doing a good job with Number 6 by putting her into a pretty interesting love/hate relationship with Baltar.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I saw the NBC broadcast, and I missed the first fifteen or twenty minutes of it.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like the beginning of Emissary with Rascals thrown in the middle of a battle. It would give reason in using a younger actor... sex appeal, the Borg, explosions... all that in the opening sequence.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
As with the childish elements in Andromeda, Seven in Voyager, or Keffler in B5 ... it all depends on how you handle it. Andromeda and Voyager completely dropped the ball...

Not to derail the topic, but wasn't Seven one of the few things that Voyager actually did well?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seven and the Doctor... and do you know why!?!?!?!?! In season 1 Braga and Berman said in an interview that they were NOT allowing any 'backstories' for the characters that dealt with the alpha quadrant. This basically cut the characters legs out from underthem. The Doctor and Seven of Nine worked... because their "Lives" pretty much BEGAN on Voyager.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Glowing spines during sex scenes..."

Hey! They stole that from Season 1 Angel - that episode with the hot Asian woman from another dimension who was trying to bring women from the other dimension to ours to escape the tyranny against women there.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
and do you know why!?!?!?!?!

Did you actually, physically explode there?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
In season 1 Braga and Berman said in an interview that they were NOT allowing any 'backstories' for the characters that dealt with the alpha quadrant.

And in a display of just how dumb this idea was, they started breaking that rule almost immediately. Janeway had her fiance. Chakotay had his spiritual roots (which quickly disappeared). B'Lanna had her Maquis ties, as did Seska, who turned out to be an agent of an Alpha Quadrant race...

Most of the coolest ideas they had, but never really explored, came from stuff like Alpha Quadrant lives. "The Voyager Conspiracy" was a stupid episode, but a great idea, had it been carried through. Look at what "Lost" is doing. They had the running traitor on board plot line going for awhile too, which I thought was good, but vasty underused.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps