Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Movie Era Uniforms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Movie Era Uniforms
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The uniforms that Kirk and company wear during Star Trek Motion picture through Star Trek VI what is the purpose of the flap that comes down the front? Does anyone know?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean the double-breasted cut of the jacket, or the little shoulder strap that goes over the right shoulder?

If A, then it was to look all navalistic n' stuff. If B, it was to hold A in place. [Smile]

Star Trek II, right after the first Hornblower-esqu shootout with Khan, is probably the best place to see close-ups of Kirk fiddling with the strap and jacket closings.

Marian

This random sig quote is brought to you by PVP:
"Star Wars? Hot diggity dog! I'm gonna play a Vulcan!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured it was just that they'd left the equivalent of the top button undone. And those uniforms showed up in Star Trek 2.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the strap thing comes over the top which has the rank insigna. Im talking about where the jacket meets that strap and you have the option of pulling the rest of the jacket down or having it buttoned up. And yes your right the first appearence was in TWOK.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing it's like loosening your tie, might give a little more comfort?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From where I read somewhere a long time ago in galaxy far away the flap was based on the whole Nelsonian/Hornblower thing. But it to me it seems still wierd considering that when the flap is down the under thingy is still around the neck.

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dramatically, it's purpose seemed to be "oh my god we're in shit now quick let's undo the flap in order to look a bit more distressed".

Marian is right, Kirk undoes his jacket just after the first part of Kahn's initial attack. And yes, it's hard to see what the point is. Loosening your tie/undoing your top button makes sense because those are around your neck, and they're slightly constricting to boot. Undoing the flap doesn't seem to provide more freedom in anyway.

Oh, and there's also a good example of the flap being opened in STVI. Right after the Klingons leave the ship, McCoy states "I'm going to find a pot of black coffee" and rips it open with some force. It sounds like velcro.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual costumes used a series of tiny snaps, all along the line of the flap in groups of four.

I have a hardcopy article about the construction somewhere. It's from high school, so it predates the web. It might even contain mimeographs!

Marian

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While undoing the flap doesn't provide more freedom, I remember Fletcher or someone from the staff describing the uniforms as using "almost like marching band uniform" material, and in that case, the main benefit of undoing flaps (from my experience) is to cool off. Even if there isn't any freedom gained, it is more comfortable.

Now why they would need to do that on a ship in space? Eh...

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey at least its better than those auful crotch killer overalls with that ghetto buckle that appeared in ST1.

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
...I remember Fletcher or someone from the staff describing the uniforms as using "almost like marching band uniform" material...

My college marching band uniform was like the movie uniforms. The tunics were wraparound and buttoned on the side under the right arm and on the right shoulder. Pain in the ass to put on. My high school marching band uniform looked like a maroon TNG Romulan uniform. The band director didn't think it was funny when I pinned my combadge to it.

quote:
Now why they would need to do that on a ship in space? Eh...

Well, when Kirk undid his in TWoK, his bridge was on fire. When McCoy undid his in TUC, he was intoxicated (and being buzzed always makes me feel warmer). I'd imagine you'd probably want to loosen it if you're on the ground outside in the heat. Or, in a stressful situation, you just want one less thing choking you around the neck.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty good representative of my band director, too.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Hey I may be a teacher but I do not run the band (our school band kinda sux) but I do have a Batleth to keep my students in line and on Halloween I do dress in my Voy uniform. Its the only fanboy thing I do a year. I do own a Kahn type red uniform but I hate wearing it because of the stoopid flap.

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

If they were so bad, I suddenly wonder how awful those enlisted jumpsuits were...

Marian

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps