Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Movie Era Uniforms (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Movie Era Uniforms
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most high school and college marching bands, the tuba players typically don't march with concert tubas. Concert tubas are huge, heavy, awkward to hold, and very expensive. Most marching bands opt instead for the sousaphone. It's not as rich a sound, but the sousaphones are easier on the players and much less expensive. Most drum and bugle corps usually opt for the marching tuba, which is easier to handle but still heavy and huge.

Regardless of which instrument is being used, many band directors will just refer to them as the tubas for sake of clarity and whatnot. It's a similar reason for them talking about French horns when most marching bands field mellophones in their place.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh. The bands over here tend to refer to them as "basses" or the "bass section". And they are usually the E-flat and b-flat normally orientated tubas. Carried by big fat people, for some reason.

And they don't march in that silly quick way American bands do with their marching backwards and sillyness.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I've heard the tubas referred to as the bass section was when I was music education major. All the other times, it was when I was in the orchestra and the director was referring specifically to the stringed double basses. In band, we use "bass line" a lot, but that includes the baritones/euphoniums and trombones as well as the tubas.

And, in my ten years of band, I've only ever seen two fat tuba players. The rest of them are usually more fit or very muscular. The only exception to both of those was this girl Tracy I went to school with. She stood about 5'2" and about 110 pounds. She only marched her freshmen (she joined the drill team the following year), and the sousaphone damn near swallowed her up.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
110 pounds doesn't sound very much, even on a girl only 5'2".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marching bands are the weirdest American tradition ever.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Surely Jesus is.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Marching band was my anti-drug before alcohol.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I drink so I can avoid doing drugs?" Nancy Reagan had it sooo wrong. "Just Say No," pah!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah when I was drum major for the 2 months I was that baton got pretty heavy.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baton? Geez, you'd think he'd never heard of using his hands before. (None of my drum majors - high school or college - ever used a baton.)

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Our drum majors in both college and high school used conductor's batons for our shows. During parades, they just used their hands and walked backwards. In high school, we had drum major batons for use in parades, but we never used them since our drum majors' uniforms were usually tuxedoes and black gowns (in other words, it'd look silly).

It's just a style issue with the drum major batons. I've seen a few (very few) bands use them for shows. I've also seen a few bands where the drum major marked time while conducting during a show. It's just a matter of style.

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used my hands during field shows but for parades and playing in the stands I used a baton.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Surely Jesus is.

No...that distinction falls to light-up lawn holiday scenes: Santa with reindeer on the roof, Jesus in the manger, Frosty the Snowman...
...all the biblical characters like that. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still the problem that I have is equipment. Every other race has all these cool accrutements but the Feddie soldiers. With the technology available to the Federation they should look like a cross between Starship Troopers (the book NOT the movie) and the marines from Aliens with a little Starcraft thrown in.

:{)
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Some essentially baseless speculation:

That episode of DS9 was just on, and I was struck by how rigid the fabric on that soldier's uniform looked where it had been torn. Now, possibly (probably) that was just supposed to look like it had been charred, or soaked with blood and then dried, seeing as how it was surrounding a rather large wound, but it kind of looked like body armor to me. Perhaps those uniforms are built to undergo a chemical/physical reaction when hit by an energy weapon, dispersing some of its energy. Not enough to keep a person integrated, as it were (GET IT?), but perhaps enough to keep a glancing wound serious instead of fatal? In the same way a helmet is for shrapnel vs. someone aiming right at your head.

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually some of the books are. ST magazine or ST Communicator published a list of books that the ST "heads" consider canon. I don't remember which publication it was, it has been a few years.

:{)
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
In fact, none of the books in general are. But yeah, Battle of Betazed calls those field uniforms "Surface Operations Blacks", or SOBs.

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps