Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Movie Era Uniforms (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Movie Era Uniforms
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The awful stiff band uniform fabric may have been the saving grace of those uniforms. I watched TMP again the other night, and paid special attention to the uniforms in that movie. I've been puzzled for awhile now because the illustrations of those uniforms on Spike's website (which I assume came from a Fact Files or Communicator or something) make them look just fine. It's only live, on screen, that they suck so bad. Why?

After the other night, I'm thinking that a big part of the answer might be the thin, flimsy fabric that they used. It hung limply, hems fluttered...whatever they used had no substance to it. I find myself wondering what they would look like if made out of a different material.

Marian

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated wearing those marching band uniforms

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Subject change though, but still talking about Starfleet uniforms: The DS9 episode were Jake and Bashir on the planet together and the Klingons are attacking and at in the end Jake sort of saves the day byh caving the hospital roof, those black uniforms with the branch color stripe, they have been mentioned in some books, who would wear those, Starfleet Marines or quote unquote the Feddie Army. Opinions of this and equipment that they would wear. I say this because the Feddie soldier that Jake met was kinda stingily equiped.

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The uniforms were cool but yes, you'd think they'd have more gear. I seem to remember someone over at the ASAP Trek costumes board discussing re-creating the field uniforms, must see if anything ever came of that. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I the Battle of Batazed novel, one of those many books that is considered canon, Vaughn discusses equipment on these uniforms, especially the weapons.

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the novels are canon.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, none of the books in general are. But yeah, Battle of Betazed calls those field uniforms "Surface Operations Blacks", or SOBs.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, are they nicknamed "Sons of Bitches"?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably just SOBs. Like people sometimes say "SOB" instead of "son of a bitch".

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some essentially baseless speculation:

That episode of DS9 was just on, and I was struck by how rigid the fabric on that soldier's uniform looked where it had been torn. Now, possibly (probably) that was just supposed to look like it had been charred, or soaked with blood and then dried, seeing as how it was surrounding a rather large wound, but it kind of looked like body armor to me. Perhaps those uniforms are built to undergo a chemical/physical reaction when hit by an energy weapon, dispersing some of its energy. Not enough to keep a person integrated, as it were (GET IT?), but perhaps enough to keep a glancing wound serious instead of fatal? In the same way a helmet is for shrapnel vs. someone aiming right at your head.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Or, in a stressful situation, you just want one less thing choking you around the neck.

But undoing the flap doesn't affect your neck in anyway, since the collar is still there. Fair point about the heat thing though. I remember Tim Russ describing the movie uniforms as being hot and heavy while shooting "Flashback".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While turtlenecks are certainly an acquired taste, there is a difference between heavy stiff band-uniform fabric at your throat, and soft fuzzy cashmere at your throat...

Marian

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't the uniform that bothered me so much as having 30 pounds of bass drum mounted 2 feet off my center of gravity.

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the tubas complain about the weight of their sousaphones, but with them its sitting directly over them. I marched trumpet, so I had it relatively easy.

Liam, true, but I was talking about in cases where the neck of the coat also fits rather snuggly around the neck (and adding to the pressure around the neck that the turtleneck creates). However, I do have to cede the point since, after looking at pictures of the uniforms, it looks like the coats fit rather loosely around the neck.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WIN I WIN I WIN I WIN RULE!
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Yeah, the tubas complain about the weight of their sousaphones,

Wait, why are tubas carrying sousaphones? That's terribly confusing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps