Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ First Inklings of Trek XI... (potential spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ First Inklings of Trek XI... (potential spoilers)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing with Braveheart was, while we still had to get to know the characters, the situation was relativley easy to establish. If they could give a situation that we could jump into and make it easy for us to understand why the characters would imediately react they way they do, it coudl be possible. Because we'll instantly relate to their feelings and actions without having to know everythign about them.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Fair Enough. But they still will be teaming up for Trek XI.

No. Every release that's come out about about Trek XI shows that Braga is not involved in the new movie. Now, could things change? Yeah, especially if Threshold tanks and Braga suddenly find himself needing work. But for now, it's a new group of producers and writers teaming up with Berman for the new movie.
I'm sorry - his new series is called "Threshold"?? Named after one of the WORST episodes of all 740 or so hours of Star Trek!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what Berman and the suit want - is a movie - that has the 'star trek' tag on it - but doesn't have to be bogged down by 40 years of Star Trek back-story. Star Trek = Easy Money. Or at least it gives it a fan base on which to build audience numbers.

All the pilot episodes of Trek have been big ratings winners - pulling millions of viewers. If they did things CORRECTLY they could pull off a new 'big screen crew' - without having the pressure o having to follow up for another 22-26 episodes. They could focus all their efforts into GOOD movies with a brand new crew every few years.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sort of like the whole idea of the Final Fantasy franchise; everything is named Final Fantasy but the various games and movie don't have anything to do with each other.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I'm sorry - his new series is called "Threshold"?? Named after one of the WORST episodes of all 740 or so hours of Star Trek!?!

Well, I don't think anyone would have gotten why a series called Spock's Brain didn't have guy named Spock in it.

You call yourself a true anti-Bermaga, and you didn't know this? I'll have to take back your membership club. No Burger King coupons for you, mister!

quote:
I think what Berman and the suit want - is a movie - that has the 'star trek' tag on it - but doesn't have to be bogged down by 40 years of Star Trek back-story.
They've tried this twice now: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: Nemesis. Both movies weren't specifically written to be as you stated, but it's obvious that large chunks of backstory were ripped out in the need to appeal to a large audience. Although, to be fair, that was only one of numerous problems with both movies.

quote:
All the pilot episodes of Trek have been big ratings winners - pulling millions of viewers. If they did things CORRECTLY they could pull off a new 'big screen crew' - without having the pressure o having to follow up for another 22-26 episodes. They could focus all their efforts into GOOD movies with a brand new crew every few years.
As with anything, it depends. When John Logan stepped in to write Nemesis, we were pretty much expecting some great stuff in a two-hour package. How much of what we got were flaws with Logan's writing or interference from Stewart and Spiner I don't have the answer to, but regardless we got a lackluster movie that did horribly at the box office.

What's being pitched for the in-development movie sounds like it could be good. Without using familiar characters, the writer has pretty much free reign on what to do. And, if you cast good but relatively unknown actors, you bypass the star-tantrum stuff that interfered with Nemesis. However, keep in mind that doing a good movie period is hard. For every Million Dollar Baby there's at least one Catwoman.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how TFF skimped on backstory any more than the other films. Care to elaborate?

And agreed, I thought Nemesis was going to be great when I read the script, but the execution sucked some major dong.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim: What I'm talking about mainly is the whole Kirk and Klingons thing. The only time he showed any rage towards them was the one insult he threw at them when the Bird-Of-Prey pointed its disrupter at him. The rest of the time, it was "oh no, we've got to avoid the Klingons." Considering the rage and grief he showed over David's death in The Search for Spock and The Undiscovered Country, it strikes me as very unusual that he's then sharing a drink with Klingons onboard the Enterprise. (In case you ask me about The Voyage Home, I have a similar complaint with that as well. Although, we can assume the stress of saving Earth from destruction made Kirk suppress his mourning).

I'm also referring to, in smaller parts, the way the Klingons reacted to Kirk. Instead of the "there shall be no peace" rhetoric, there's the "respected enemy" attitude in place. I wouldn't expect that from the Klingon captain, especially if he browbeaten into apologizing to Kirk by his superior. And, then there's Spock suddenly having a fully-Vulcan half-brother also.

Edit: Yes, thank you, I meant half-brother. And, to elaborate on that point as well, I meant that we knew Spock was an only child. I can't remember if this tidbit came solely from The Animated Series, but Spock also grew up alienated. If Sybok were as different as Spock claims he was, then Spock might have formed a bond with Sybok. Yet, apparently, he didn't.

[ March 12, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half-brother.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Mim: What I'm talking about mainly is the whole Kirk and Klingons thing. The only time he showed any rage towards them was the one insult he threw at them when the Bird-Of-Prey pointed its disrupter at him. The rest of the time, it was "oh no, we've got to avoid the Klingons." Considering the rage and grief he showed over David's death in The Search for Spock and The Undiscovered Country, it strikes me as very unusual that he's then sharing a drink with Klingons onboard the Enterprise. (In case you ask me about The Voyage Home, I have a similar complaint with that as well. Although, we can assume the stress of saving Earth from destruction made Kirk suppress his mourning).

Isn't all of that more a retroactive problem created by STVI than a problem with STV?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but VI is far superior to V, so we just backport the issues. [Wink]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Backport? Is that anything like a fanhole? [Big Grin]

And a series called Spock's Brain that has nothing to do with Brains or anyone named Spock would be mighty... different! [Big Grin] Anyone got a few mil to splurge on a pilot? [Big Grin]

If Callista Flockhart kept going the way she did on Ally McBeal - that could have been "Ally's Sinew". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curzon Dax
Member # 1481

- posted      Profile for Curzon Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that I worry about is continuality. Call me a purist but that is the main problem I have with E was it was not part of the time line of the other four series'. I will go see the movie but I hope they don't make it yet another ST "universe".

:{)

--------------------
All problems in the world can be solved with a small amount of well placed C4 explosive.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curzon Dax:
...it was not part of the time line of the other four series'.

You say that as if everyone agrees about it.

Continuality?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Curzon Dax:
The only thing that I worry about is continuality. Call me a purist but that is the main problem I have with E was it was not part of the time line of the other four series'. I will go see the movie but I hope they don't make it yet another ST "universe".

:{)

On the contrary, as I was saying in this thread, there are numerous indications that ENT is very much supposed to represent the "true" history of the other series. (The biggest one being that "Regeneration" [ENT], "Q Who?," et al [TNG], and First Contact are supposed to represent a temporal causality loop.)

$$ SPOILERS FOR "These are the Voyages..." (ENT FINALE) $$
-
-
-
-
-
Furthermore, though some fans seem to have misinterpreted it as a reset button like on Dallas, I believe the "valentine" intended to be conveyed by the Riker & Troi holodeck gimmick in the upcoming finale is in fact the exact opposite---an explicit acknowledgement of the series by characters from the universally-accepted/respected TNG.

And despite this being a very old argument, surely the continuity glitches on VGR were more serious than anything done in ENT... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, technically speaking, shouldn't Khan have launched in the DY100 a few years back? There is NO way that you are going to have seemless continuity between shows when the very basis that everyone calls "Canon" is WRONG.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps