Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » So what IS with those dolphins, anyway? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: So what IS with those dolphins, anyway?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that book years ago. Can't remember much about it now, but they managed to communicate with the probe, I think. Turns out it was attacked by the Borg in its past, etc.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the novel world, everything was once attacked by the Borg. V'Ger, the whale probe, everything that ever existed.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty terible book as I recall- I was trapped on a plane somewhere with only that to distract me from a very tiny coach seat for my 6'1 frame.

It must have sucked, as I can tell you almost nothing about the book either....

...and my ability to recall minute details of trivial, useless things is staggering.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, wait a minute... that was the book which was renamed and rewritten despite author protests? Was it supposed to be called "Music of the spheres" or smth?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

JupiterStation
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I agree that it (like much [though not all] of Voyager) was shitty, but it's canon. [Razz]

Kinda how I feel about it (dolphins on board starships) prolly not the way I would have went with it, but no one asked me, so, just kinda quietly work it into the background... [Smile]
IP: Logged
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNG Tech Manual mentioned a crew of so-many dolphins (bottlenose and something else) headed by 2 supervisory orca-whales being navigators. I had thought at the time that it was just a joke...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's ANOTHER thing. Species discrimination! Are we saying that orcas are just naturally better at supervising as a species and thus are assigned to look over the dolphins? Or are we refering specifically to the Enterprise, which is proud to boast its complement of two lieutenant-ranked orcas assigned to a batch of wet behind the blowholes ensigns who all just happen to be of the dolphin persuasion?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of a Trek novel in which instead of 'species' they said 'forms of humanity' to sound less discriminating. ...sounds far *more* discriminating to me. Trying to make everything like you.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, one problem is that there really are differences in cognitive abilities and aptitudes between species. We tend to think of intelligence, however nebulously defined, as a more or less binary phenomenon. Something either has a human-like intelligence or it doesn't. But I'm not so sure that's the case. That is, that there is some boundary or border between the thinking that we do and the thinking that, say, chimpanzees do.

There is clearly a difference, but is it qualitative or quantitative?

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this debate over the second most intelligent species on the Earth...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We might not be debating that they are smart but more like what the hell would we put tanks in the Galaxy Class ship for then?

If I recall corretly, someone made original blueprints of the Enterprise-D that reflected its "cruise ship" interior that ended up being changed to what we saw the semicanon blueprints for. Go figure its mentioned in TNG perhaps more like how the gardens are... for research.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those tanks coulud easily be for aquatic Federation crewmembers- a couple of years back, I was reading an intresting article on the possibility of sentient lifeforms originating in a deep-sea environment.

They might communicate via chromataform color changes on their bodies (like some squids use during mating), so never even consider audio communication signals.
No more than we search the night's sky for projected infra-red signals or something else so...alien our senses.

That whole "we did a planetary survey in a few days" bit from TNG was soooo much bullshit- each class M world would need decades to make even a half-assed survey (and that's with useing TNG level technology!).

So the tanks on a GCS might house anything from hundreds of colonial-inteligence inscets that need special stmosphere to something that would be instantly killed in one "G" of pressure

It's concievable that starfleet operates entire starships that have no humanoid crewmembers (or that the humanoids live in enclosed habitats while the majority have free-reign of the ship with it's hazardous pressure/atmosphere/radiation/tempature.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"No more than we search the night's sky for projected infra-red signals or something else so...alien our senses."

The eerily inhuman technology of infrared signals.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm I guess I was unclear- obviously we've been useing it as atelescope for years, but not as a potential source of ET transmissions.
SETI is an near-impossibe dream looking for giant, obvious signals broadcast to maximum effect, much less looking for a infra-signal that wou;d be like a specialized searchlight aimed for a few days at our solar system and then moved by it's owners to the next star, hoping someone will see it....

It's a species perception thing, as to what would be an "obvious" signal.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

http://www.coseti.org/
http://seti.harvard.edu/oseti/
http://observatory.princeton.edu/oseti/
http://seti.ucolick.org/optical/
http://www.setileague.org/general/optical.htm

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps