Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » So what IS with those dolphins, anyway? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: So what IS with those dolphins, anyway?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute... Don't eat turtle if it's endangered, but veal is A+ #1 awesome? So, the theory here is that it doesn't matter how you treat an animal, so long as there are plenty more where it came from?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he's just against eating endangered sea animals.
I foloow Snay's philosiphy: anything you can bag with your car is fair game and good eatin!
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
That's an interesting concept. Although I'd imagine that the replicators would be hardwired to not replicate meat from any member races of the UFP...

I brought this up when we were discussing transporters as weapons:
Guys like the Romulans would likely just knock out an opposing ship's shields, reduce the crew to their component protien patterns and have a nice steak dinner at their enemies expense.

Practical, deadly and tasty!.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this back with a new bit of Dolphinowledge: the apparently have, and recognize names.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/05/09/dolphins.names.reut/index.html

The scientists stop well short of calling it a language, of course, but it's interesting to know that dolphins create and recognize whistles and clicks that will correspond to a specific creature.

Mark <--click click bloody click pancakes!

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already weird out my coworkers by swearing in Firefly Chinese. I don't need to add Dolphin.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that Usul no longer needs the weirding module.

I think most animals recognize individuals, and even dogs recognize their (admittedly human bestowed) names. What's interesting to me is that the study implied that two dolphins can use names to talk about another dolphin not directly involved. Though won't we all be disappointed if the first phrase translated is "click-whistle-whistle-beep is such a brownnose!"?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biiig deal- Wasps (with a brain the size of a pin-head) can recognise other wasps they know on sight- and will always kill any they dont know.

Plus they- like many insects use chemical language that can last months.

It's an amazing world of communication out there, but it's not at all what we consider "language".

Good for theory on how something alien may communicate though- lets see Hoshi run pheremone and sweat salts through the 'ol Universal Translator.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
I heard that Usul no longer needs the weirding module.

Hug!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
...and even dogs recognize their (admittedly human bestowed) names.

Well, sort of. The recognise them in a "that sound means something that I should pay attention to" sort of way, not a "I am Rover, that is my name" way.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends of mine had a dog. They never got around to naming the dog, they simply called him "Puppy." Eventually this became the dog's name.

The dog would respond to anything sounding like "Puppy," such as "Dummy," "Ugly," etc...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's an amazing world of communication out there, but it's not at all what we consider "language".

Good for theory on how something alien may communicate though- lets see Hoshi run pheremone and sweat salts through the 'ol Universal Translator.

Oddly enough, that's one thing Red Dwarf did better than Star Trek in at least one instance. Cat had some books that you had to sniff to read.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What's interesting to me is that the study implied that two dolphins can use names to talk about another dolphin not directly involved."

Not only that, but the fact that they assign the names themselves. I mean, it would be one thing to teach a group of dolphins that "a-a-a-aa-a" = dolphin #1, while "a-a-a-a-aa" = dolphin #2. But the fascinating thing about this is the idea that they already started naming each other all on their own.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Whatever- they cut the tuna nicely.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, your eternal afterlife now entails hundreds of their sharp little teeth and your naughty areas. Salt water.

It is cool that they come up with the names themselves. I imagine these might be somehow descruptive of the individual to whom they refer. "Long nose", "Deep warble", "Mackarel breath" that sort of thing. With regards to a larger language or communication, I would suspect that each pod would tend to have its own dialect and that different families might have different levels of sophistication and abstraction.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone with whom you do not share a spoken language or with only a limited grasp? There was this older Dutch guy in Paris and we were trying to figure out the network topography where we were staying. His English was much better than my Dutch, but my Dutch is none so that's not saying anything. We could both get by in French, but he didn't know shit about computers. It was interesting how much we were able to communicate with a common frame of reference and similar goals. Of course it probably helped being the same species.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I've found that many parts of understanding between people are non-verbal- as example, I have no major difficulties dealing with a deaf man that frequents my work (most credit to him and his experience communicating with hearing people, of course). If he were wearing a mask, I dount I'd grasp half of what he was trying to communicate.

A lot of the underlying meaning to what we want expressed is visual body language- doubtless the same is true (or far moreso) in the animal kingdom.
Dolphins may have diffrent "inflections" with diffrent visual cues, just as we have so many maenings for "fuck".

People are even adept at non-verbal language with other species we're familliar with: everyone knows a mean dog from a nice one without it having to wag it's tail or growl at you.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the definition of language is getting slightly twisted here, not that I can provide a nontwisted one. But an interpretation of signs does not by itself constitute language. Something is being communicated when a piece of meat rots, but that doesn't mean that the meat is communicating, if you see my meaning.

Anyway, as far as the dolphins go, I think we always need to be careful when we go about assigning content to signals such as these. For this to constitute a language, at least in my (incredibly uneducated, I need to point out) opinion, they would need to be located in some larger symbological context. Like, say I snap my fingers three times and we all agree that three fingersnaps represents Jason. That doesn't mean that we have invented a language of fingersnaps.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps