Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Picard's Second Command (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Picard's Second Command
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Picard was never really in command of a ship at that time. I have a feeling that not all captains are assigned starships and the like. Some Captains are probably given tenures at institutions such as Starfleet Academy.

Likely that Captain Picard was a guest on a vessel which also responded to the emergency that particular day when he met Tasha Yar. What he was doing there could be anyone's guess: diplomatic mission, training cadets, on vacation to Risa, etc.etc.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited October 14, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately "All Good Things..." shows that Picard and Yar didn't meet until just before the D's launch. Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? (I haven't seen "Legacy").

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they actually say in AGT that they hadn't met prior to that? And besides, even if they did, it's possible that Picard saw her previously, but they never actually spoke.

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was implied in All Good Things that the two had never met. It was definate that Picard had never been on board before. He probably saw Tasha before but never actually met her until the traditional shuttle ride over.

As far as Picard not being in command of the ship that responded to the referenced distres call as mentioned in Legacy, he clearly refered to her a "my ship". I believe those were his exact words.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even read the ST novels but this sounds like an idea for a new book series. Picard: The lost years. All about his second ship. Hmmmm???

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thought exactly. Actually, I've already come up with a little story line if I may...

Star Trek: Valhalla. Picard commands the Steamrunner Class U.S.S. Valhalla during the Cardassian or Tzen'Kethi Wars. He is involved in a secret strike force or something. This would explain the silence as well as bring back the Cardies. It would also allow for a little exploration since they'd be in little explored space.

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there was something about Picard helping Yar in the past. . . getting into the Academy or something. I'm probably wrong though. And it amazes me how they HAVE ignored Picard's lost years, especially when the much-hypothesized "second five-year mission" of the TOS crew between TMP and TWOK has had enough written about it to fill a TEN year mission!
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea for the story. May want to use a bigger ship.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Picard commanding a dingy Steamrunner Class? I think I speak for many other people when I say BLEEEAAAACCCHHH!!!!!!!!

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has to be an intermediate stage of sorts. I mean, he went from commanding a poxy little Constellation - for TWENTY YEARS - one of the oldest ships in the fleet, to commanding the newest, AND the flagship to boot! He'd been involved in the building/designing/whatever of the Galaxies, but had never been on one before.

I'd rule out an Ambassador or an Excelsior. He'd never served on a ship with families before. If even Mirandas have families, that suggests something unusual. I wouldn't rule out a Steamrunner - it's unlikely that ANY ship we saw on TNG would be the class concerned, or else he'd have got all misty-eyed whenever they saw one. Therefore the FC ships fit the bill nicely.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says a lot more if you can command a ship like a Constellation well as opposed to a large ship in a mediocre way.

I would imagine only the Type III Mirandas have families, although we haven't seen enough of the others to tell. The Excelsiors might not, and Ambassadors probably do (as with the Gandhi).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited October 15, 1999).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the impression the Galaxy was the first ship to have families.

I think if asked today they would make Picard younger, too. I'd say the character should be early sixties, and stay there.

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

The Galaxy wasn't the first class to carry families (although the families posted to Galaxy Class ships obviously had the best time). Tom Riker mentioned bringing familiy aboard the Gandhi and Sisko had family aboard the Saratoga.

I suggested the Steamrunner class to get an intermediate ship sizewise and date wise. It could be any of the FC ships or one of the non canon ships, like the Sequoia or Wambundu Classes. But if it were made into books, how would you illustrate a ship that hasn't been seen yet? We artists have to think about things like this. And there aren't many illustrators out there that I would trust to come up with a cool ship design.

------------------

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so logical that Picard commanded another ship after the Stargazer and before the Enterprise-D. He, just like every other Starfleet officer, had to have had a long history of command experience which could include command of more than one ship. There is a long gap between the time he lost the Stargazer and him taking command of the Enterprise. He could have commanded an Ambassador Class after the Stargazer, since those ships have components that were used on the Galaxy classes. And I'd think Starfleet wouldn't assign a captain of an Oberth class to command a Galaxy class. It's logical to believe that someone in command of the former top of the line class would be given command of the new top of the line class.

------------------
"Women feel the emotions of happiness, hatred, anger, helplessness, and desire.

Men on the other hand feel the guy version, Horny."

-Michael_T

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really; that would mean capable captains would be locked into commanding lesser ships and such. I mean, they have to move up at some point.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Don't worry; in Season Two we abandon it for 'I Am A Sock-Puppet!'" - Bob Skir

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps