Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Picard's Second Command (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Picard's Second Command
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish that Riker accepted the offer to command the Melbourne. So that he can get blown up along with the ship. I hate him. Can anyone here tell me an officer who is more arrogant than Riker? I personally think Riker is not that smart. And he walks like a girl!!!

------------------
-Father of Vulcan phylosophy(forgot his name): "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, Riker's the Man! He get's lots of chicks (including Troi). And let's face it, if you get on his good side, he'd be alot of fun to work for.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a convention in San Francisco a few years ago and Riker was there. He said he tries to walk like John Wayne. Are you suggesting that John Wayne walks like a girl???!!!!! I'm shocked, shocked, and appalled. By the way, I hate Riker too, but I like John Wayne movies. Check out Stagecoach, They Were Expendable, Red River, or The Searchers.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Saboc
Ex-Member

Are you kidding?
Riker's walk is nothing like John W.
And I don't think it's fun working with Riker. His Romulan warbird sized ego is enough to sufficate you to death even if you're 2 light years away.

------------------
-Surak: "Nothing unreal exists"

Saboc
Ex-Member

sorry...I thought my first message didn't get posted the first time I tried. So I did it again...Sorry..

------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's what he said, not me. Riker's sort of leads with one shoulder like John Wayne did. He also walks like his momentum is about to send him in undesired directions. Might be a weight problem.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

jh
Ex-Member

"It was a slow walk in a sad rain, and nobody tried to be John Wayne.
I came home but Tex did not, and I can't talk about the hit he got.
Drive on."

Okay, sorry, non-sequitor there but I couldn't help it. I've had that song in my head all day.

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Saboc
Ex-Member

Riker walks like a duck. He sways from one side to another. Also, I think Frake is such a horrible actor. But that's just me. How the heck did he nail the initial audition?
Anyway, Picard is too old now. He should retire or accept an offer to become admiral or something like that. I don't get it. Picard as captain is no better than Sisko or Janeway or even DeSoto. Why does he get to captain the flagship? (I guess I could like Picard more if he inflated his ego a bit and should act a bit humble. I think that could help)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Saboc (edited November 16, 1999).]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saboc: Although I hate Riker, I've never known a person to despise him with such a passion as you (take this as a compliment ).

Are you kidding, Picard is so perfect it's almost sickening. I can't think of anyone more suitable to captain the flagship. Sisko is my favourite captain but that doesn't make him the most qualified.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Saboc
Ex-Member

:::frozen in disbelieve::::
Picard is perfect it makes you sick?
Picard is no perfect. When he was young, because he was scared, he left his girlfriend in Paris and never contacted her again. What kind of a man is he?
Next point, just because he has like what a billion years of command experience doesn't make him a "perfect" captain. The reason why he gets the job done better than other captains is that he has a better ship. That's all. For example, in first contact, thanks to his ship, he destroyed the Borg. Do you think that Picard could have destroyed the Borg commanding a Miranda class? Any captain could have destroyed the Borg and restored the timeline if they had the flagship...

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

Saboc
Ex-Member

As for Riker, just because he can get lots of girls and can bluff at a poker game that doesn't make a him better officer. I hate Riker... (I"m sure you all know that by now..lol...)I personally think Kira and Dax and a bunch of other officers are much better him.

------------------
Spend all your time waiting for a second chance, a break that would make it ok...

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

I don't think Dax was saying that Picard being the very model of a modern starship captain makes him sick--it's a figure of speech.

I've got to disagree with you about the starship making all the difference. Picard has a better ship because he gets the job done better. Could Picard have used the same strategy that he did in FC if he was in command of a Miranda? No. But he'd have found another way. Although I'm sure Starfleet has several other captains who could have done the job, four pips and a seat on a Sovvy's bridge doesn't automagically solve everything.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...huh? Picard was very likely the only person in the entire galaxy who could have saved the Federation. It had nothing to do with his ship. It was because he was still partially tuned in to the Collective.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on people, the reason Picard's second command is a mystery is because he was assigned to Starfleet intelligence. He may have command one or many ships, so I think we should be contemplating what he was doing all those years, and not what he was flying. The lack of information about this period in his life would also be consistent an individual that is either unwilling to talk or not privilaged to talk. We know from his statement in Encounter at Farpoint that he asked Starfleet for a ship without children, and what was the reason for going to Farpoint station in the first place? Picard was on a mission to discover the origins of Farpoint station itself. Think about it, the whole reason for him being there was to collect intelligence and somewhere along the line he was given the opportunity to stay.

Thoughts anybody?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to throw everything into disarray, but wasn't there a line somewhere with Picard stating that he has commanded starships for X years, X barely being the sum of his Stargazer years and the E-D years up to that point? I really cannot remember the reference now, but I'm 100% sure I read about the oddity in Larry Nemecek's TNG Companion.

The second command implied by the line in "Legacy" would have to have been a very brief one, then. It is quite possible that a position in SFI would let Picard commandeer ships for brief periods. Other postings might allow for such commandeering as well, though. But the job description would have to be something else than commanding starships on a regular basis. SFI fits the bill better than a dull desk job, considering how Picard is the #1 choice for the mission in "Chain of Command", or other undercover jobs.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps