Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Picard's Second Command (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Picard's Second Command
jh
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weekend project for someone:

Run through "All Good Things" and find the scene in the shuttle bay where Picard comes aboard the E-D. The orders he reads go something like "From SF Command to Capt Jean Luc Picard" and then I believe they say "commanding officer USS..... You are hereby requested and required to..."

Do they give his second command there? Am I imagining that?

------------------
Proverbs for Paranoids, 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw "All Good Things..., Part I" a few days ago and I don't remember them giving a previous ship.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they didn't.
grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Enterprise
ncc-1701-B
mosified excelsior-class starship, one of the most advancd ships in the fleet
commanded by first time captain, John "Tuesday" Harriman

You need a former captain of a top-of-the-line ship to command a new top-of-the-line ship? Starfleet doesn;t seem to think so.....

But it does make alot of sense that Picard did something between the Stargazer and the Enterprise. They wouldn;t have him sitting at starfleet command for so many years.

------------------
USS Infinity
NX-157240
First Transwarp Ship of the Fleet
Epsilon Omega Shipyards

"It's like I said, the more things change, the more they stay the same."-Unknown Vulcan Philosopher

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John "Tuesday" Harriman *LOL*

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya mean like how he got all misty-eyed at the Hathaway in Peak Performance? Yup, he was forever breaking down into tears...

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, regarding promotion in starfleet, it's kinda wierd. The U.S. Navy assigns captains to ships for only a specific period of time. The whole point is to get command of a bigger and better ship.

Starfleet seems to assign captains for the life of the ship or until they are promoted to Admiral. In the Navy, a 22 year command (as with Picard and the Stargazer) would be unheard of. So I'd conjecture that Picard's second command was either destroyed or decommissioned and it's wouldn't necessarily have to have been a ship of the line.

By the by, the Ambassador class was not the state of the art up until the Galaxy. Nebulas, Akiras, Steamrunners, and several others all predate the Galaxy but were introduced after the Ambassador. I would thereby say that they were state of the art, even though smaller and possibly less powerful.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree with you reasoning.

Okay so we've seen dudes who end up serving on/commanding the same ship forever. This does not mean it is the status quo. I mean look at tours of duty. Untill they get on the Enterprise (or whatever the platform for the series may be) most characters have served at several different ships/stations. Then they get on the Enterprise and never leave. I would think that there is a probably an average rotation worked out for personnel and commanding officers. But if you are Jean Luc Picard and you want to stay where you are, you get to because you have lots of friends in high places are are generally held in high regard by starfleet. In other words people like Picard and the officers under him have the option of sidestepping transfers if they wish to. This is generally not a good strategy for a career minded individual as transfers and promotions often go hand in hand. Riker would have been a captain (or at least had his own command for over a decade now had he not decided to rot his career away on the Enterprise).

------------------
"Stood in firelight, sweltering bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent." -Rorschach

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make a very good point. It is very likely that senior officers have a little say in their assignments. It also makes sense that people who are good at what they do want to stay where they are. I think longer tours of duty and longer commands may also come from the nature of deep space exploration. Unlike the Navy, Starfleet likely has many long term assignments going on. "O.K. Capt Bob, we're giving you command of a Galaxy Class. Turn your Intrepid around, come back 5,000 light years and we'll get a new captain." Unfortunatley, we've really only seen a very narrow slice of Starfleet policies and proceedures.

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker would likley be dead if he had excepted command of the Melbourne.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now wouldn't that have been terrible?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I'm slightly confused by Bryce's comment waayy up there that Picard should be early sixties, and stay there. First, it's the 24th century. People live longer. Get over it. And second, how can he stay there? This isn't the Simpsons ya know...

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, he can't stay there but after his trip to Bak'u in Insurrection, I think it's safe to say that Picard is about the same age as Patrick Stewart.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But then shouldn't Picard in the next film look like Picard did in 'Encounter at farpoint'?

Although I probably couldn't spot the difference. Aside from getting fat, the male TNG cast doesn't seem to have aged much in 10 years.

------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think AGT illustrated that Patrick Stewart hadn't changed much as he looked exactly as he had in the original farpoint scenes, cept his skin always looked a little more pasty back then.
I think that Riker actually did show his age quite a bit by shaving off the beard. When he grew the thing it made him look five years older, now I'd say it makes him look ten years younger.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps