Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Neglected Ship Farragut (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Neglected Ship Farragut
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time, I posited that during the 9-year interregnum, Picard could have been Starfleet's Ramius, taking out the lead ship for each new class & doing the shakedown workups.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted by escallum:
"The ship is a major,star of TOS..."

"The nebula class is bigger,and would have made awesome FX shots as the ship,turned or manoevered,with the large disc section."

Yes, because in Kirk's era, we saw flocks of Nebulae flying around space, showing off their "discs". The point is, Voyager is supposed to be maneuverable, and the Nebula class, being almost the size of the galaxy class, is not very maneuverable. And it is not always the size of the ship, just how you use it that matters.

Also posted by escallum:
"That is what,I was trying to say,that many Voyager issues could,be solved by using,the Nebula class,as defined at the end of Generations."

Are we practicing to be a William Shatner impressionist? The Nebula class had been seen a fair few times before Generations. And while it is a beautiful ship, it just doesn't have the original-ness needed to be the lead ship of a series. If you look at it, ALL of the Trek series, with the exception of TAS have had a new and interesting ship design. In TOS, you get the Constitution class ( although it was the first series, so it HAD to be new and beautiful), TNG got the Galaxy class, DS9 got the Terok-Nor style stations and the Defiant, VOY got the Intrepid class, and ENT got the NX class. All except the NX class (Akira-prise)are original designs that had not been seen before.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
... your just feeding the Class Bravo fire with more LOX discussing this tripe with 'E', dude. He isn't talking to discuss, he talking to babble some nonsence shit... sort like me [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I felt it was time for me to lend some wise ass comments. He needs, to learn how, to, use commas the right,way. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Yes, because in Kirk's era, we saw flocks of Nebulae flying around space, showing off their "discs".

And Kirk only had that old E-nil and E-A. He should have felt cheated.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are we practicing to be a William Shatner impressionist?

I didn't realize Shatner painted.

I hope it's better than his singing.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

He...Is a go...od painter.....he paints still life...images..of frui...t [Big Grin]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the paintings defiantly make a more pleasant SOUND than his singing.

Not that I should criticise, I'm crap with paints, oils and inks.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I don't recall the Nebula class having landing gears, bio neural gel packs, variable-geometry pylons, an Emergency Medical Hologram, and all the other technocrap that pervaded the show.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I *liked* Common People.

I think escallum was trying to mention the Constitution-class Intrepid from TOS, not to say that Nebula-class ships roamed the black at the time. Still it was hardly a major star, it showed up in one episode.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, i think he was trying to say that the ship (the Enterprise) was a star of the show during TOS and the ship should be a star in Voyager too.

This gives me a headache.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by esecallum:
Anyone know which idiot designed/implemented the chicken Voyager?

That would be Rick Sternbach, who helped design the Nebula class, of which you so adore.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to get technical, Ed Miarecki designed the prototype Nebula that made for Wolf 359, but Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda refined the design before its first feature appearance in "The Wounded".

And esecallum, please stop with the comma abuse!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's getting on my nerves. I assume (or rather, hope) you don't speak any language that uses the Latin alphabet natively, because the rules for commas are the same in all of them (at least I've never heard of an exception). So, if that is the case, let me educate you: A comma is used to indicate a pause in thought or speech. (This includes all the rules for parenthetical expressions and dependent clauses and so on - in speech, you are properly supposed to pause in those places.) So, escallum, every time you stick a comma in, it means we're reading a pause, which is screwing up how easily we can read what you're saying. Stop it please.
esecallum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by escallum:
"The ship is a major,star of TOS..."

"The nebula class is bigger,and would have made awesome FX shots as the ship,turned or manoevered,with the large disc section."

Yes, because in Kirk's era, we saw flocks of Nebulae flying around space, showing off their "discs". The point is, Voyager is supposed to be maneuverable, and the Nebula class, being almost the size of the galaxy class, is not very maneuverable. And it is not always the size of the ship, just how you use it that matters.

Also posted by escallum:
"That is what,I was trying to say,that many Voyager issues could,be solved by using,the Nebula class,as defined at the end of Generations."

Are we practicing to be a William Shatner impressionist? The Nebula class had been seen a fair few times before Generations. And while it is a beautiful ship, it just doesn't have the original-ness needed to be the lead ship of a series. If you look at it, ALL of the Trek series, with the exception of TAS have had a new and interesting ship design. In TOS, you get the Constitution class ( although it was the first series, so it HAD to be new and beautiful), TNG got the Galaxy class, DS9 got the Terok-Nor style stations and the Defiant, VOY got the Intrepid class, and ENT got the NX class. All except the NX class (Akira-prise)are original designs that had not been seen before.

Sean I know that.

But the thing there is no rule which says a series must have a new designed ship every time.In any case the nebula was seen very seldom and you would miss it if you blinked.So your reasoning is invalid.

You say it could not be a lead ship which makes you prejudiced against the nebula class.This is like saying a black could not be a lead due to prejudice.

The internal fitting regarding gel packs and so forth are not relavant and are internal fittings.

The ship in TOS is/was a major star and gave the show IDENTITY.

You have ignored the issue of identity.

you have an identity.

if that identity was replaced with a plain generic non-descript identity that would make you less interesting.

another analogy to help you understand would be for you is that if you were a blond hunk body type and was replaced by a glass wearing geek type wearing a sweater you would automatically be ignored by girls and be looked down than if you were a blue eyed blond hunk like brad pitt.

In voyager it was a generic anonymous look and was never used in a major way due to its turdish look.

it was a boring ,ugly design and lacked star quality.

Rick Sternback as the designer of the intrepid had no idea how a star trek works and should not have been given this task or he he should have been over ruled and the nebula class should have been used.

Also you say it is just a E-D saucer stuck on a engineering section but you are wrong.

if you look at the edges of the saucer you will it is not tapered to a thin edge and those funny bite marks like the E-D.

The disc on the nebula is more like the disc on the
Excelsior or the E-A.

Voyager could be remarketed by replacing all voyager shots with nebula class shots using automation programs which would use an overlay program to identitfy the voyager ship shape and replace it with the nebula class.

this would allow voyager to achieve an identity which it not have before and also promote the next new film.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps