Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » what do you think the 5th series will be about? (5th series spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: what do you think the 5th series will be about? (5th series spoilers)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read in magazines from 1992 and 1995 that say that "DS9 is the closest Trek to the Original Series" then "Voyager is back to what Trek is all about"

They're ALWAYS going to say this...

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager proved that continuity can make a series successful.

Well, WE proved it to them, the hard way. I don't know if they ever got the message.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A different reaction than I anticipated, but at least somebody noticed it.

What I was going for is that because Voyager has such a lousy continuity, it isn't that successful.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Captain Richard Miloshkin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with JH. I'm not going to speculate about what the new series is going to be because that'll spoil the surprise.
I do hope, however, that they leave it for a few years. The Trek writers should take a few years off to get new ideas and reflect on what they did wrong in Voyager and what they can do to improve their next series.
If they wait, the anticipation of fans will build up and it'll make it much more enjoyable for all - as long as the new series is half-decent.

------------------
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon. --- Susan Ertz

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, OTOH, am pretty sure that the series V eagerness of the many will outweigh the patience of the few...

Dum-di-dum-dumm....

Hm-hm-hmmm....

Not gonna say it!

Ladadaa...

Never!

Doo-di-doo...

OR THE ONE!!! THERE, YOU HAPPY NOW???

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Babylon 5 revolved around wars...

*nod*
quote:
...and was successful

Buh?

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 11, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, successful in the sense that the people who watch it greatly enjoy it, as opposed to just mildly liking it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 11, 2000).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but not in the sense that it could secure a broad audience with reasonable ratings or spawn a successful spinoff.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since it was geared toward people with intelligence and an attention span, probably not in today's society.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I have to agree w/ Frank. The very problem lies in the idea of trying to gain a large audience. Being appealing to the masses is never a good thing...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The really sad thing is I will probably find myself watching even next series is horrible. I still say a 24th century Indiana Jones is the way to go.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter what, Trek is always going to go back to its roots with exploration. After all, that is the whole idea when the series was created. And with the exploration, there is going to be conflicts with others. Not everyone likes to be found. I mean, TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY all have their roots with finding new places and learning about the new places. We've had four series that have dealt with this basic subject and we're about to get another. Star Trek is the same thing it was 35 years ago. New characters, plots and ships, but the basic idea remains.

A series about a pure war in Trek will never be successful. Because (like mentioned before) Trek is about peace. That's the whole Federation. However, a series based on peace would be boring. No action whatsoever. The next step could be a soap opera type thing where everyone is having sex with their commander and trying to screw the next guy over. We haven't had a series like this yet... And doesn't most of today's television focus on violence or sex?

In all honesty, the future of Trek looks bleak....

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, a fifth series is not a good idea at this time. The argument that there is just too much Trek right now is a valid one. Jumping into a new series seems to me to be no more than an attempt to milk the ole Trek cash cow and to keep Rick Berman and his cronies working.

I agree with others who suggest waiting a few years to let the previous series settle into place. Then, when the time is right, maybe we can have a fresh new Star Trek (created by a fresh, NEW producer). Honestly, I think the best thing for Star Trek right now would be if Rick Berman and Brannon Braga walked off the face of the Earth.

IP: Logged
Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that was tough! Professional hitmen can be hired.... Well, that would not be very nice.

Perhaps we should let them wither away

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have less of a problem with Berman than I do with Braga. HE'S responsible for the endless 47 refs (it's his favorite number) & the Montana refs. (his home state) He's responsible for most of the crappier episodes that I consider to be filler. ("Fistful of Datas," anyone?)

And if his ascension to executive producership isn't enough of a hint that he's made a Faustian deal, he's been boinking Jeri Ryan for about 2 months or so.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps