Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crazy Admirals (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Crazy Admirals
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was promoted past regular admiral? Its between vice and fleet. I dont think we ever saw her with four-pips (fleet admiral)

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mention was made in one of the episodes that Picard & Co. had to be extra-super nice because she'd just been promoted ...

... to Fleet Admiral.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my.. yes i recall quite clearly now.

Oh, um, that Admiral Kennelly was a bad guy too.. bad admiral!

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many good flag officers there were... I think that Commodore Mendez guy was pretty level-headed. Along with Commodore Stone. And Fleet Admiral Shanthi.

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Mr. Christopher ]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the 7th Fleet was commanded by the same Admiral throughout the Dominion War: ok first he lets 95% of his Fleet get wasted, then he gets caught flat-footed when the Dominion moved on Betazed. By god, I hope it was not the same guy.

Who was that Admiral that had Eddington sabatoge a the Defiant? That seemed rather un-Starfleet.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess we should also point out that all (I think) of the corrupt flag officers we've seen in Starfleet have been humans. Not very reassuring for our species, huh? However, I can think of two admirals that seemed to be highly respected and above corruption: Bill, the C-in-C from The Undiscovered Country, and Nogura, from The Motion Picture. Of course, I gleen most of this from the novelizations of those movies.

In real life, there's a perfectly acceptable explanation for the high occurence of corrupt admirals: it doesn't move a story as much to have an admiral appear in a manner that doesn't quite advance the plot. Corruption and mystery stories are usually good, and we have those playing out in "Conspiracy," "Ensign Ro," The Undiscovered Country, and others. The other times we've seen an admiral is to inform us the viewers of plot points as in "Chains of Command" or some of the Dominion War briefings in Deep Space Nine.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should point out that the Admirals we saw in "Conspiracy" had been inhabited by foreign entitites. They're hardly evil, just "hostages" ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, some admirals were shown to be highly supportive of our heroes. Shanthi from "Redemption" was later considered to be the gal Picard could rely to sort out the "Pegasus" mess. And the black guy from "The Defector" et al, whose name I forget, seemed to be a nice guy, too, in the drill sergeant sense of the word. Picard wouldn't take that toughie-talk from a man he didn't respect.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral Chekotay who appeared on a few occations in the early eps of DS9 seemed to be a good guy. Even though he did order Sisko to abandon the station in the "Homecoming" Trilogy.

I think it was Toddman or Toddwell or something that ordered Eddington to sabotage the Defiant.

And we did see a Bolian Admiral involved in Admiral Leyton's conspiracy on Earth during "Paradise Lost", I think.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For the record, she was WAY hawt. I bet she was a fuckin' FIREBALL in bed, yo."

I am disturbed on several levels. Going into the problems with "yo" alone would take hours.

"Even Admiral Ross had ties to Section 31. But, yah...overall he's a pretty decent fellow."

Of course, the problem with putting Ross into this catagory is that all the crazy mad admirals who wanted the Federation to be filled with potatoes had something Ross didn't. Let's call it "a personality".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

Exploring outside of filmed canon into the world of comics and novels reveals many more cases of this
Vice-Admiral Rittenhouse tried to use his new dreadnought compined with careful political appointments to take control of the quadrant ('Dreadnought!').

Admiral Mendez (Commodores brother) was involved with biowarfare experiments and killed good Admiral Waverleigh to keep his vampires secret ('Bloodthirst').

The Commodore in 'Traitor Winds' killed Mark Piper to keep some klingon disruptor shit secret, but was luckily outranked by recently admiralized Jim Kirk

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, wasn't Mark Piper the Enterprise's CMO during "Where No Man Has Gone Before"?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. For some weird reason, fanfic has taken a liking to killing him in myriads of imaginative ways in order to make room for McCoy...

And oddly enough, fanfic (at least the male-written kind, over at alt.startrek.creative) typically portrays Admirals as likeable fellows with whom Kirk is on good terms, even if there's some politicking going on in the higher echelons. Shades of the kind of alter-ego writing that made "Commodore Wesley" a supportive senior friend of Kirk's?

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm missing something. How was there "alter-ego" writing with Commodore Wesley? Was he a friend of the writer, or am I missing something hugely obvious?

Besides, he wasn't much of a friend. He made a nasty joke to Kirk that made him walk off the bridge crying. Bad man. Just because he had a big chair.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

Well, an older fatherly figure who's as smart as the hero is a typical "Marty Sue" for male writers, and Eugene Wesley Roddenberry would definitely have appreciated the good Commodore. Roddenberry had plenty of characters named Wesley in his various shows, filmed or flopped, and people writing these highly analytical books about Trek tend to see at least the Commodore and the little Crusher kid as GR alter egos of sorts.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps