Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Crazy Admirals (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Crazy Admirals
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on Admiral Pressman, it would seem we finally get some semblance of the "Admiralty" rank system by the end of "The Next Generation. Fortunately "Deep Space Nine" and "Voyager" revert to the "every admiral is a 'three-pip' admiral" system.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that 'five star' flag officers only exist in times of war.. not sure if thats right

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/allhands/ranks/officers/o-rank.html
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this, I guess, while we're at it. And if it works.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/1936.html

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first appearance of a rear admiral was Kirk in TMP-TVH. The first rear admiral in TNG was Brand IIRC.

I think we saw 4 admirals with 4 pips (Riker, Bennett, T'Lara, Paris). Paris had 3 pips in VOY Persistence of Vision, 4 pips in VOY Pathfinder, and again 3 pips in VOY Inside Man.

Admirals with the rank of Fleet Admiral only appeared in the movies (eg. Morrow, Cartwright, Bennett, "Bill").

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Owen Paris was demoted? Maybe the Pathfinder incident with Reg Barcley did it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then the Starfleet Laundry Division belatedly realized that this was the OTHER Adm. Owen Paris, not the one we saw in the second season, and that they had been sending him the wrong pips for the past weeks. Perhaps the earlier-seen Adm. Owen Paris had been promoted to a four-pipper, unlike the later-season one, and SFLD had not looked at the picture accompanying the promotion notification?

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Starfleet Laundry mistook the second-season Admiral Paris for Admiral Marcus Holt from 'Interface' because they were played by the same actor

Morrow in TSFS and 'Bill' (called Bill Smillie in the novel of TUC) were clearly identified as the commanders-in-chief of Starfleet. Bennett in TFF seems to have been a pop up on the viewscreen admiral, not the c-in-c, and i would question if Cartwright was c-in-c in TVH, unless he had relinquished to position 'Bill' in TUC. They were all the 'fleet admiral' rank though, but i doubt they all held that position.. unless it has a term limit and you go back to regular fleet admiralcy after a while.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Quote:
    Except Nechayev was again referred to as "Fleet Admiral" in The Search Part II, and possibly also in "The Maquis" and in both cases again wore three pips.

What a lot of people may not realize is that there is a lot more to the uniforms than what we see. I believe Nechayev was wearing the Starfleet issue Fleet Admiral's pleather bustier (with the requisite four pips) beneath the uniform .

Kind of lends a whole new meaning to Vice Admiral, huh?

Oh, just be glad I didn't put up the pic of Adm. Paris in same...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight after seeing that picture.

Of course, I always did think she was kinda hot.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear gawd! *tosses himself out an airlock*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

capped
Member # 709

Well theres how she got the promotion.

'Bill, where's Fleet Admiral Johnson?'

'He just saw something ungodly and threw himself out an airlock. We'll need to replace him.'

'OK, promote Alynna. She's in the office already, see?'

'Why'd they put an airlock in the fleet admiral's office anyway?.. seems a little odd, or at the very least inconsistent with Starfleet design'

'What are you, the continuity police? Let's just say its classified and leave it at that..'

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The first appearance of a rear admiral was Kirk in TMP-TVH. The first rear admiral in TNG was Brand IIRC.

Because of the inconsistant usage of flag ranks (pips, stripes, and thingamabobs), I was using the actual onscreen verbal identfication of a Rear Admiral as my criteria for the first appearance. I know that Kirk was not stated to be a Rear Admiral. Was Brand?

quote:
Erik Pressman wore two-pippers in "The Pegasus" and was referred to as "Rear Admiral."

I remembered that he was a two pipper, I had not caught that he was called an Admiral's Rear though.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An admiral's rear! (Ha ha!)

Anyway, have we ever seen a five-pipper? How do we even know they exist based on onscreen evidence?

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No and we don't.

Fleet Admirals are canon but their five pip insignias are not.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps