Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What I Do Not Want To See In "Star Trek X"[SPOILERS] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What I Do Not Want To See In "Star Trek X"[SPOILERS]
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even with only three movies, "The Next Generation" era films seem to have developed a few "cliches." Since I do not read the supposed scripts available online, I do not know if scenes like the following are in the movie, but this is what I hope I do not see in "Star Trek X:"

(1.) A close-up shot of Dr. Crusher's face looking down on a bio bed-ridden patient waking up.

(2.) What Rick Berman describes in magazine interviews as "rip-roaring" space battles wherein (a number of cliches here):

(a.) "Enterprise" is pounded by a ship (or ships) it is at least a match for, or, worse yet, by one that is a piece of junk.

(b.) Riker forgets that "Enterprise" is the most powerful ship in Starfleet . . .

(c.) . . . thus, our heroes must use a "gimmick" to win.

(3.) A scene that uses Geordi's eyes (actually, I liked that one in "Insurrection"), with that scene being Geordi's sole contribution to the movie.

(4.) Any scene where Troi is sitting in a seat she definately is not qualified to sit in, regardless of how many test her former and current lover said she passed.

Did I miss any? Can you think of anything else that has appeared in two or more of "The Next Generation" era movies?

[ December 16, 2002, 23:45: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought of a potential one. Though some seem to think that Worf became Ambassador "for life," and that any appearance by Worf in "Star Trek X" will be a "violation of continuity," I think it entirely possible for him to be reassigned to "Enterprise." However, if he is still an Ambassador, his presence of "Enterprise" could be the second time he is "just passing through."[5.]

[ December 16, 2002, 23:42: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generations: Worf was there anyway.

First Contact: The Most Believable tie-in, the Defiant gets its ass whipped in a very important battle.

Insurrection: Uh..... why was he there in the first place?

With Worf being an ambassador, it may be easier to tie him in the next Star Trek Movie. That may be what the writers intended. It could be like a diplomatic type of mission in which Worf is sent by the Klingon High Command as an Observer. However, he may not reprise his tactical position, it just wouldn't make any sense.

And I do not want to see Geordi in the Helm. What the #$%^ was he doing there in Insurrection anyways?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

If I recall correctly, Worf was on "Enterprise" in "Insurrection" because he was on his way back to Deep Space Nine from somewhere else. Of course, I do not recall Deep Space Nine being one of the many destinations Starfleet was asking "Enterprise" to go to (maybe he was catching a connecting flight in the Goran system). In a word: lame. That is why I said the Worf excuse could become a cliche depending on how they do it in the next movie.
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

Another thing I do not want to see, and, fortunately, will not be able to see is the "Voyager" sickbay posing as the "Enterprise" sickbay.

[6.]Of course, I really do not want to see the "Enterprise" (as in the "pre-E") sickbay posing as the "Enterprise" (as in the "E-E) sickbay.

[ December 16, 2002, 23:43: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I was just thinking about this today. And, while I was expecting out right honourable newbie to say "I don't want to see any of that horrible girly kissing stuff, ew!" (kidding!) I was wondering about some stuff, like one very pertinent question: should Geordi's eyes be back to "normal" - or should they really be normal?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

I wonder about that myself. The effects of the planet seemed to last off-planet, but we only saw the short-term results; do they wear off after a while once one leaves the planet? I might argue that they do, indeed, wear off; Worf was not still in puberty when he went back to Deep Space Nine. And that way, Geordi will still have something to do ("Geordi, see if you can penetrate that wall" ZOOM IN ON GEORDI'S EYES).
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

[7.]What I really do not want to see is that horrid Ready Room set from "Insurrection," with its half-dozen doors.

[ December 16, 2002, 23:44: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think Geordi's eyes should stay real. After all, the planet regrew them. What would cause them to revert? When the Son'a left the planet, they started aging normally. They didn't start aging even faster to make up for the planet's effects.
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

What about Worf? Or is Klingon puberty something that you outgrow by the next episode of "Deep Space Nine" following the premiere of "Insurrection?"

Of course, the truth is, "Worf's puberty" was a stupid idea to (supposedly) generate laughs. Since none of the other "Enterprise" crewmembers "grew" significantly younger, why did Worf revert to puberty? Does Klingon puberty take place during a Klingon's late 30's/early 40's? Of course not. So why did none of his fellow officers revert to puberty? See the first sentence of my second paragraph.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klingon puberty happens a lot earlier.. Alexander was fully grown and serving on a warship by the time he was 10. Its too bad they couldnt work this aspect of Klingon biology into Worf's backstory for the chronology, i think that dates for Khitomer have already made it into shows based on Worf aging at a more 'human' speed.

And yeah, one of the reasons i hate insurrection is the stupid ass zit-jokes..

Geordi started out at the helm.. but he probably should have been in engineering, with all the warp-core-ejection nonsense going on, but they probably thought he was reading 'Mr. Scotts Guide to the Enterprise-E' in his office, or trying to work out a metreon gas effect with a holographic Leah Brahms.. or maybe they assumed that he had turned into a fluorescent lizard.. as long as theyre veterans of the E-D theyre used to handling things without the big guy there.

If you want to read something retarded, try the TNG Gateways crossover. Ambassador Worf not only ends up taking tactical, but he also joins an away team and batleHs some dudes.. but thats not even the worst writing of the book, it also features Troi's first command, and the 'warlike' Deltans. Greenberger must be on crack

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Worf was on his way back from some security assignment...what makes it so obvious that it's a lame excuse is that even the writers thought so. Picard asks him what he's doing on the ship and Worf's response gets drowned in in background chatter. We barely get to hear the first part of the explanation.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Sirtis, McFadden and Burton keep doing these movies. They barely get to contribute. Troi and Crusher's boob conversation was funny...but was hardly a contributing factor.

Why in the hell would we see Voyager's sick bay posing for the Ent-E's? And even if they did reuse set parts...so what? The ships are so close together design wise, it makes sense that certain facilities will look the same. As long as it's not exactly the same set like the Ent-A/ Ent-D engine room....

I don't want to see Riker and Troi doing anything that requires them to take their clothes off. As in hot tub action. I understand there's a major plot point with the two of them supposedly, but I don't need to see them making out.

And while we're at it, I want Riker's beard back.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And while we're at it, I want Riker's beard back.

The kidnappers mail it to you in a Ziploc� baggie...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurrection was almost the worst Trek film to date. Does anyone else remember Shatner's directorial adventure?

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shatner had his beard woven in to his toupee to keep him young.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps